Airport - High Heels, Bags, Clothes?

helene20

Feb 12, 2012
I travel a lot, just came back from a trip to Asia to visit my son. Almost every months I board a plane.

As much as I love nice clothes, high heels and nice bags, I try to dress in dark pants or jeans (dirty seats in planes), a nice low heel shoe and my luggages that I check in are not the most expensive luggages since they are always dirty when I get them. (I carry my nice bag on board)

The question I have for you is:
What do you think of girls in 5-6 inches high heels, white pants in airports?

To tell you the truth every time I see that kind of girl I always ask myself how can she walk from one end to the other of the airport to catch her plane with those high heels?

Last trip my son and I had to run to make our connection in Thailand. I could not have done it on time with high heels. And I found trash in the pocket in front of my seat.

How do you like to dress when boarding a plane?

If that person is on a direct flight and arrive with ample time, I don't see the problem of the high heels.

When I travel by plane, direct flight often is not an option for me so my standard uniform is jeggings/leggings, layer with something long enough to cover my bum when I reach for the overhead cabinet, boots with zippers or slip on shoes. No shoe laces! I use a huge JC canvas tote to cover up my designer bag, so i won't feel bad with it need to be stuffed under the seat :P

Depends.

Sometimes I have domestic flights for work that require I get off the plane and go directly to a meeting. This means a suit and heels, not 5 inches but probably 3-4. If I am traveling casual for work, meaning I will go to a hotel and have my meetings the next day it is boots and black jeans in the colder months and Lanvin ballet flats in warmer. For vacation it is flats. Once, about 12 years ago I was on a flight that had landing gear issues so we semi crash landed and had to exit using the chutes. Trust me, people trying to move quickly in heels or even flip flops don't fare well. So when I have to wear heels I keep in my bag the flats in case I need to change them.

Depends.

Sometimes I have domestic flights for work that require I get off the plane and go directly to a meeting. This means a suit and heels, not 5 inches but probably 3-4. If I am traveling casual for work, meaning I will go to a hotel and have my meetings the next day it is boots and black jeans in the colder months and Lanvin ballet flats in warmer. For vacation it is flats. Once, about 12 years ago I was on a flight that had landing gear issues so we semi crash landed and had to exit using the chutes. Trust me, people trying to move quickly in heels or even flip flops don't fare well. So when I have to wear heels I keep in my bag the flats in case I need to change them.

Oh my that must have been something scary. Hope you did recover well from that.

My DH is a pilot and he is always in an airplane.

His pet peeves are: women or men wearing perfume or any strong scent like aftershave, he can't stand it, and people that takes ages to put their stuff in the bins. He said that when you are a business traveller that gets on your nerves.

Back to the subject: I like to carry nice shoes with me on board also. I change into them when I know that I don't have to walk 20 minutes from one end of the airport to the other :smile:

If that person is on a direct flight and arrive with ample time, I don't see the problem of the high heels.

When I travel by plane, direct flight often is not an option for me so my standard uniform is jeggings/leggings, layer with something long enough to cover my bum when I reach for the overhead cabinet, boots with zippers or slip on shoes. No shoe laces! I use a huge JC canvas tote to cover up my designer bag, so i won't feel bad with it need to be stuffed under the seat :P

May sound like a weird question but what is JC?

Did you mean Juicy Couture canvas tote?

If so I should carry that next time for my nice bags. Thanks for the tip.

helene20 said:
Oh my that must have been something scary. Hope you did recover well from that.

My DH is a pilot and he is always in an airplane.

His pet peeves are: women or men wearing perfume or any strong scent like aftershave, he can't stand it, and people that takes ages to put their stuff in the bins. He said that when you are a business traveller that gets on your nerves.

Back to the subject: I like to carry nice shoes with me on board also. I change into them when I know that I don't have to walk 20 minutes from one end of the airport to the other :smile:

It was not awful because I know they train for these types of things, I am sure your DH could land a plane with no wheels down while eating a sandwich. Lol

It is frustrating when people take forever to place items in bins, not meaning those poor souls who are simply looking for space but ones who put up bag, remove coat, fold coat, place coat in bin (while the FA is telling everyone not to use bin space for coats), stand in aisle for a while longer.....grrrrr.

It was not awful because I know they train for these types of things, I am sure your DH could land a plane with no wheels down while eating a sandwich. Lol

It is frustrating when people take forever to place items in bins, not meaning those poor souls who are simply looking for space but ones who put up bag, remove coat, fold coat, place coat in bin (while the FA is telling everyone not to use bin space for coats), stand in aisle for a while longer.....grrrrr.

He flies to go to work in planes but at work flies helicopters.

We could write books on stories in airplanes. Some people think they are alone in the airplane.

Lol... I'm the one in 4-5 inches heels at the airport. I do dress up to fly.. but then again I'm dressed up on most occasions... I was raised to dress nice to travel... it's hard to break out of the mold... and even on the occasions when I travel coach I still dress the same...I always have a pair of flats and leggings and a long tee to change into on my long haul flights..... :smile:

I always admire chic jet setters. They look Fabulous. Sometimes beauty is pain or slight discomfort hehe.

I've gone to the airport in high heeled boots before when i was younger but since I developed some back problems, I just need more balance while lugging a carry on.

White pants are asking for trouble though!

I always admire chic jet setters. They look Fabulous. Sometimes beauty is pain or slight discomfort hehe.

I've gone to the airport in high heeled boots before when i was younger but since I developed some back problems, I just need more balance while lugging a carry on.

White pants are asking for trouble though!

Love to look at them also, but find that an airplane is so dirty.

I came back in November from Asia (14 hour flight) on the top deck of a 747 and there was about 24 of us of top and nobody had high heels and suits.

Everyone had nice bags, jewelry, etc. but were in leggings, sweat pants, shorts and flat heels. We were really comfortable and you can still look elegant when you pick the right clothes.

Myself I had to run many times in airports to catch the next plane that I now wear comfy shoes and bring my nice shoes in my carry on bag.

Can't live with pain since I have a knee problem.

The other day I was flying with my husband and he insisted in wearing his beige pants. We were in BC and first glass of red wine went on his pants, it was the stewardess that dropped the wine on him. She never offered a cleaning voucher. He does not fly with beige pants anymore :smile: I laughed. Now he knows that anything can happen in an airplane.

Well, nice to have the chance to get involeved in your topic, I have being botherd by your doubts as well for months, cause high heel is realy very hard for me to handle in a journey.
I do not recommend white pants for public wearing, cause it is easy to become dirty very much since you would have a long trip.
As for the high hell issue, my usual method is to take a pair of slippers with, when there is no occasions for me to walk around, I would change to high heel for slippers, this ease the journey in some degree. What's more, it is better to have as less luggage as possible, that might be easier to handle the high heel! :smile:

So nice of you to get involved.

When we go to Vegas I bring my nice shoes in my purse and change just before entering the restaurant. In Vegas you always walk miles before you get to your final destination. After Supper we love to walk the strip so I change back to my flats :smile:

May sound like a weird question but what is JC?

Did you mean Juicy Couture canvas tote?

If so I should carry that next time for my nice bags. Thanks for the tip.

Yes ma'am, I got this tote many moons ago and use it for travel all the time. I can fit LV Neverfull MM, speedy 35 or any decent size soft bag in it. If i have to make an impression upon landing i just stuff it quickly in the carry on before i step out the sky bridge :P. Love the canvas and simple design, just throw it in the washer and it come out new.

Edit to add picture:

Attachments

• image-3857389455.jpg
    image-3857389455.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 3,749
  • image-2220218614.jpg
    image-2220218614.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 3,744
Yes ma'am, I got this tote many moons ago and use it for travel all the time. I can fit LV Neverfull MM, speedy 35 or any decent size soft bag in it. If i have to make an impression upon landing i just stuff it quickly in the carry on before i step out the sky bridge :P. Love the canvas and simple design, just throw it in the washer and it come out new.

Edit to add picture:

Thanks! Like the idea of keeping the LV clean. Those airplane floors are nasty :smile:

I have a canvas tote for the same reason :smile: although in another thread someone advised using nylon bags (longchamp for ex) because you never know what the person in front of you can spill on the floor and damage your bag.

envious :lol: cos i will never bother to dress up for a flight unless i have a business meeting straight after.

i prefer leggings to jeans actually ( more comfy), sweater ( cos i'll feel cold) and either flats or canvas shoes.