Collonil Waterstop Spray & Oversized Tillie

Girlie76

Dec 15, 2012
Hi ladies!

I have just gotten myself a new Oversized Tillie Satchel in Nightshade Blue. It is in soft matte leather. The care card recommended using Collonil Waterstop to waterproof it. What type of leather is soft matte?

Erm, this is going to be a stupid question but can you guys tell me how to do it? Like, how much to spray? When to buff with a clean cloth? Anything else that I must watch out for? This is my first time doing it and on my first Mulberry.

Thanks so much in advance.

Hi ladies!

I have just gotten myself a new Oversized Tillie Satchel in Nightshade Blue. It is in soft matte leather. The care card recommended using Collonil Waterstop to waterproof it. What type of leather is soft matte?

Erm, this is going to be a stupid question but can you guys tell me how to do it? Like, how much to spray? When to buff with a clean cloth? Anything else that I must watch out for? This is my first time doing it and on my first Mulberry.

Thanks so much in advance.

I can't tell you what kind of leather soft matte is but if you go the Mulberry website they have a list of their leathers on there.

It's easy to spray your bag, just go for it and spray until you think it's covered, then leave it to dry and do it again for extra protection. That's what I was told when I bought mine. In fact, I went mad and sprayed it three times! It doesn't take very long to dry really, but some people like to leave it overnight. I didn't, I just did it every couple of hours on the same day. I don't think there's any right or wrong way to be honest.

Good luck!

Hi Girlie76,
I sprayed my 1st Mulberry just after xmas and was just as nervous, especially where mine is the fudge colour and I knew if it went wrong you would see the stains-but it all went well. I got somebody to hold it for me whilst I went around it at a safe distance with the spray. Like GillianAnnie said I don' think there is a right or wrong way, just what you think feels right!
Good Luck and enjoy your 1st Mulberry!!

My Taylor is soft matte. When I sprayed it I held the can about 30cm away from the bag and covered the whole of it evenly (you can see where you have sprayed quite easily) and avoided the hardware. I then waited a couple of hours and sprayed it again in the same way. After letting it dry a second time some people buff it with a clean cloth to get rid of any sticky residue - i didn't do this as mine didn't feel sticky at all.

Im not saying this is the 'correct' way this is just how I did it :smile:

My Taylor is soft matte. When I sprayed it I held the can about 30cm away from the bag and covered the whole of it evenly (you can see where you have sprayed quite easily) and avoided the hardware. I then waited a couple of hours and sprayed it again in the same way. After letting it dry a second time some people buff it with a clean cloth to get rid of any sticky residue - i didn't do this as mine didn't feel sticky at all.

Im not saying this is the 'correct' way this is just how I did it :smile:

Thanks so much Princess_lydz! I am going to try doing it today. I was surpised how soft is the soft matte. Initially, I bought it to be used as a work bag. After seeing how soft the leather is, I don't think it is a good idea. It doesn't look tough to me!

Don't be nervous about spraying soft matte, I thoroughly coated my marshmallow bags with no problem at all. It dries with no marks as you can see........

7b79bca24a7634be2829daa0ed98ddb1_zps810fa144.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much Princess_lydz! I am going to try doing it today. I was surpised how soft is the soft matte. Initially, I bought it to be used as a work bag. After seeing how soft the leather is, I don't think it is a good idea. It doesn't look tough to me!
Girlie76, don't be afraid to use it. The leather is stronger than it looks. Also consider looking for woly leather cream cleaner which comes in many colours, find one that is a close match to your Tillie.

My daughter has a Hetty in soft matte, it is being thrown around a bit and small scratches just heal up very nicely with collonil cream. :biggrin:

The collonil spray makes a huge difference for protection- I use it all the time on all of my mulberry leather boots and they never mark even when it is really wet. I always put three coats on and this lasts a good couple of months. :tup:

hi everyone! i just sign up but i've been checking tpf since i got into collecting bags. i just got my first mulberry which is the regular alexa in oak from london airport last thursday! i also bought the collonil waterstop spray as the SA suggested me the product for protection. i just did the first coat of spray now and i will spray it again later after few hours. i sprayed it like 20cm away from the bag but still some spray marks are getting in the bag but i must that it really dries quickly without leaving any mark or spray stains for it dries in seconds! :smile: