Jewelry Box in Action!!

mangowife said:
Funny you should say that - I was *just* thinking that I prefer the fluted bezel. It's a big of sparkle without going the diamond route. The domed bezel is sleek and modern but slightly masculine too, IMO. Especially with the black face.

I might look into trading in/up for a midsize fluted bezel. I already have a ladies all stainless datejust, jubilee with fluted bezel, white face roman markers, not sure if I should keep this midsize domed or trade in for a fluted.

Thoughts?

Personally, if u have the flutes already, id keep this one for a varied look. I do love the look of the fluted and oyster together too but since u have another one I say keep this. Best of both worlds!!!

bunnymasseuse said:
Rings I picked up at a pawn type store:
Closest to the hand is plat, the other is WG

Also picked up diamond studs in Plat that match ones my BH got me and it was a 1/4th of the cost! He couldn't tell which one were the new ones and which he had bought!

Pretty rings. I would not buy from this sort of store.. It's like they profit from people's unfortunate circumstances. In would feel sad wearing something that someone had to pawn for money :sad:

Pretty rings. I would not buy from this sort of store.. It's like they profit from people's unfortunate circumstances. In would feel sad wearing something that someone had to pawn for money :sad:

I have no problem with it at all. Precious gems and metals, even spices and silks, or anything considered rare or of particular value vitally unique to cultures (past & present), have always been forms of currency and means of trade. The principle is the same, though the means and goods evolve and shift over time. It is an erroneous assumption that someone suffered a loss to pawn their property. Assumptions are the Mother of Regret.

Kudos for the great bargains on those rings, bunnymasseuse!

I have no problem with it at all. Precious gems and metals, even spices and silks, or anything considered rare or of particular value vitally unique to cultures (past & present), have always been forms of currency and means of trade. The principle is the same, though the means and goods evolve and shift over time. It is an erroneous assumption that someone suffered a loss to pawn their property. Assumptions are the Mother of Regret.

Kudos for the great bargains on those rings, bunnymasseuse!

I actually adore pawn/secondhand store shopping, but not for the same reason. I love antique jewellery, and treasure the few rings I have from pawn/secondhand shops because they seem one-of-kind in a way that mass-produced new items aren't. I also like the idea of owning something that someone else really loved before me, regardless of how they parted ways with it. I'm happy to take up the torch and love it next!

Last edited:
outtacontrol said:

Most of the stuff is actually stolen as well... And then thieves pawn it off.

Most of the stuff is actually stolen as well... And then thieves pawn it off.

You would not believe the laws and regulations that prevent this!! Another assumptive remark. I worked in the diamond & fine jewelry industry for a few years, and though I've moved on, friends in who still remain tell me that regulations and laws have become even more stringent. And in case some are not aware, even the great jewelry houses will act as "pawn brokers" for clients. It's a matter of considering the store, perhaps location, and certainly ascertaining the business record of the proprietor/owner (precheck state records for any citations, criminal charges, or your Better Business Bureau). Some of these lame arguments could be made about auctions, from Christie's to online venues.

Yeesh. I think all this controversy simply started with a bad case of "sour grapes"... with very, very green eyes.

Let's get back on topic and stop being declasse' toward someone who simply answered a question as to where she bought her beautiful jewelry that she took the time to share with us.

BRAVA AndieAbroad and bunny masseuse! I have a gorgeous pair of one-of a kind, custom made earrings that I bought from a pawn shop in Las Vegas, the 18k gold spirals with diamonds & pear emeralds, each signed:
18kn22kearringsA.jpg

Last edited:
I wish people would stop living in a glass house... That think that the true rules and regulations are followed.... My house was broken into a few months ago and the police and a private investigator that we hired have let us know the true story regarding these kinds of places.. Most of the gold is melted generally but anything that can be sold is.. I do not have anything against people buying anything from anywhere, everyone can and is free to make their own choices but wanted to let people anther side of places they think are better then they truly are.

Oh ye and those rules and regulations are usually not followed greatly regarding the jewelry portion because many times the stuff is not reported and can be easily shipped off and melted...

Again don't really have any objection if people choose to purchase jewelry from there.. Had I not found out about these issues I may myself have purchased things as well because who doesn't like a good deal

^Click on image link...

Tomorrow, I will be wearing my 18k Kieselstein-Cord Crescent Moon earrings during the day, and (for an evening dinner with visiting colleagues), I'll add the 18k dangle star jackets my husband bought for me from Von's in MitsuKoshi underground when we visited Hsinchu City, Taiwan. My son gave me the moons, my husband, the stars! Who could ask for more?