Travel High Airline Prices

buzzytoes

Dog Chauffeur
O.G.
Jun 7, 2008
Am I missing some reason why airline tickets are so freaking high right now?! I am getting ready to fly from SLC to Cali next month (usually fly into Oakland because it is cheapest) and tickets are $300!!! The cheapest I found was Frontier Airlines with a layover in Denver. We usually pay around $200 to fly straight through. Hoping they will come down but I am flying February 7th or 8th so I don't have much more time to wait. Is anyone else experiencing this??

Am I missing some reason why airline tickets are so freaking high right now?! I am getting ready to fly from SLC to Cali next month (usually fly into Oakland because it is cheapest) and tickets are $300!!! The cheapest I found was Frontier Airlines with a layover in Denver. We usually pay around $200 to fly straight through. Hoping they will come down but I am flying February 7th or 8th so I don't have much more time to wait. Is anyone else experiencing this??

I looked at your airfare and found less than 250 with non stop out and 1 layover back. I had you leaving the 7th and returning the 11th. IF you fly back on Sunday the airfare goes way up.

Just yesterday they were at $278 or something. Guess I just need to check on a daily basis. I assumed at first they were so high because of the holidays but people should be done travelling for Xmas and New Year's by now. I didn't really want to take the extra day off work but I am thinking I am going to have to.

i just checked a RT airfare for an upcoming trip. price seems about right. depends really on the days you're flying. if you fly by tuesday and wednesday, it's said to be cheaper. :smile:

Are those prices return? That's cheap to us Canadians.
I'm looking at going to Palm Desert next month and get this...
Non-stop Return flight Vancouver, BC to Palm Springs, CA - $858
Isn't that just adorable?

I can drive an extra hour south and fly out of Bellingham, WA on the same dates for $287
Guess who I'm booking with?

I haven't noticed prices go up that much lately, but they have steadily increased over the last year or two. What I've noticed (and I'm by no means an expert) is that prices are higher when you buy way in advance or last minute--my theory is that people in these categories are less flexible on their travel so the airlines can charge more. For me, I notice prices their lowest a couple weeks out when booking midweek (tues or weds). If I know my trip way ahead of time I'll book it, but keep an eye in the weeks before and rebook if the price drops (this is only if I fly Southwest). Now that I'm less loyal to SW I'll oftentimes wait until about 3 weeks prior to travel and book on a tues/weds. I'm sure there are people out there with better tips, but these seem to work at getting decent fares.

V0N1B2 said:
Are those prices return? That's cheap to us Canadians.
I'm looking at going to Palm Desert next month and get this...
Non-stop Return flight Vancouver, BC to Palm Springs, CA - $858
Isn't that just adorable?

I can drive an extra hour south and fly out of Bellingham, WA on the same dates for $287
Guess who I'm booking with?

I worked in Calgary for a few months last year. The airline prices in Canada are RIDICULOUSLY high.

A nice little resource is an Application called Skyscanner. Shows you the better times to fly. Prices have gone up substantially last year. Will continue to go up unfortunately.

Happy flying!

Ugh! I had a similar problem trying to fly to Minneapolis. For some reason the prices for the week after new years spiked something crazy. But yes, there's been an uptick in prices in general.

PS. Checking the prices often might get you a better deal. Although I was told by someone that multiple searches for an airfare may cause its price to hike as well...something about software? I don't know if this is true...

Ugh! I had a similar problem trying to fly to Minneapolis. For some reason the prices for the week after new years spiked something crazy. But yes, there's been an uptick in prices in general.

PS. Checking the prices often might get you a better deal. Although I was told by someone that multiple searches for an airfare may cause its price to hike as well...something about software? I don't know if this is true...

That has to do with your browser cookies. I have heard that you should delete you cookies before going back to look at travel websites as the prices would be cheaper. I personally haven't done it. And yes, booking on a Tuesday or Wednesday generally gets better prices on travel websites.

That's true - it's in your cookies. I usually use different browsers when I'm searching for airfare. Or you can just clear your cookies before booking but that can be annoying.

I haven't noticed prices go up that much lately, but they have steadily increased over the last year or two. What I've noticed (and I'm by no means an expert) is that prices are higher when you buy way in advance or last minute--my theory is that people in these categories are less flexible on their travel so the airlines can charge more. For me, I notice prices their lowest a couple weeks out when booking midweek (tues or weds). If I know my trip way ahead of time I'll book it, but keep an eye in the weeks before and rebook if the price drops (this is only if I fly Southwest). Now that I'm less loyal to SW I'll oftentimes wait until about 3 weeks prior to travel and book on a tues/weds. I'm sure there are people out there with better tips, but these seem to work at getting decent fares.

I do the same thing... I always seem to have random bits of credit with Southwest for this reason.