Two questions, urgent help needed!

babypie

Jun 3, 2007
My item sold yesterday. The buyer has 4 feedbacks, all of them positive but none of them recent (they are 6 months+ old). Her address is verified with paypal. The item was $360.

(1) She sent payment through paypal within a couple of hours, however according to paypal the funds will not be available until 1/30! Why is this? What does this mean? And what do I do about shipping -- obviously I will not ship until the funds clear, but don't I have to ship within 7 days for seller protection?

(2) This morning she emailed me asking if I "guarantee authenticity". This is making my red flags go wild.

What should I do?

It sounds like ebay is holding your money because you have a new seller account. You'll have to ship the bag out first, and if the buyer leaves a positive feedback, ebay will release the funds. If the buyer receives the bag but doesn't leave a feedback, that's when you'll have to wait until the end of January to access the funds.

If the transaction is canceled, you can get the final value fee back by opening a case.

It sounds like ebay is holding your money because you have a new seller account. You'll have to ship the bag out first, and if the buyer leaves a positive feedback, ebay will release the funds. If the buyer receives the bag but doesn't leave a feedback, that's when you'll have to wait until the end of January to access the funds.

If the transaction is canceled, you can get the final value fee back by opening a case.

Thanks for the help, I'm kind of panicking here! :smile: I'm not a new seller though, just last month I sold two high end items without issue. I'm not a high volume seller, maybe that's why...

What reason would I put for opening a case?

the case she's referring to is for a mutual cancellation however, if I were a legitimate buyer who paid for an item, I want that item and wouldn't agree to the mutual.

We've all read so many stories about sellers of fakes so it's understandable that she just wants to verify that your item is authentic.

Ship the item and be sure to pay extra for signature confirmation. Purchases with a total of $250+ must have an online viewable signature for protection against INR. (D.c. isn't enough for $$$ items.) Insurance isn't required but is for your protection in the event an item is lost or damaged in transit. You can purchase insurance if you desire but understand that the signature on an insured package is NOT signature confirmation, which is a separate service.

My item sold yesterday. The buyer has 4 feedbacks, all of them positive but none of them recent (they are 6 months+ old). Her address is verified with paypal. The item was $360.

(1) She sent payment through paypal within a couple of hours, however according to paypal the funds will not be available until 1/30! Why is this? What does this mean? And what do I do about shipping -- obviously I will not ship until the funds clear, but don't I have to ship within 7 days for seller protection?

(2) This morning she emailed me asking if I "guarantee authenticity". This is making my red flags go wild.

What should I do?

For 1, check the Paypal transaction to make sure it says "OK to ship". If it doesn't then wait until it does. If in any doubt, telephone Paypal and ask them.

For 2, assure your nervous buyer. Point her to places she can have the item verified prior to you shipping it out. Can you attach a security tag to the item before you ship so that if there is an issue on receipt, you can ensure the item that is sent back is the item you sent out?

What should I do?
You have to ship within 7 days of your stated handling time to qualify for seller protection. Yeah, the volume you sell can make a difference, as well as if your pattern of selling is sporadic (e.g., you sell 2 things one month, then nothing for 6 mos, and then you re-enter the selling market, listing 30 items). It's just a safeguard that's employed, making sure you're going to follow through as a seller in terms of shipping out the merchandise in a timely manner, as well as in the described condition.

It looks as though the buyer doesn't have too much of a buying history, so the fact that the authenticity question was asked isn't unusual. It'd annoy me that the question was asked after bidding since all questions should be asked before the listing ended, but like I said, this buyer doesn't seem to have a high buying history on ebay so the buyer may not know any better.

The buyer may/may not agree to the request for a mutual cancellation. Moreover, if I was the buyer, I'd be miffed to see it relisted.

For 1, check the Paypal transaction to make sure it says "OK to ship". If it doesn't then wait until it does. If in any doubt, telephone Paypal and ask them.

For 2, assure your nervous buyer. Point her to places she can have the item verified prior to you shipping it out. Can you attach a security tag to the item before you ship so that if there is an issue on receipt, you can ensure the item that is sent back is the item you sent out?

Yes it says OK to ship in my pp account, but the funds will not be available until estimated 1/30. What if I ship the item and then the seller claims fraud...what happens to my payment then? I feel really nervous about shipping before receiving payment, I thought that was a huge no-no.

Thanks for the help, I'm kind of panicking here! :smile: I'm not a new seller though, just last month I sold two high end items without issue. I'm not a high volume seller, maybe that's why...

What reason would I put for opening a case?

I have two Ebay accounts - DH's and mine. Both are old accounts with 100/150 FBs. When I list something on Ebay.com I get this msg that if the item sells the funds will not be immediately available on both accounts. I read that this is a new thing for accounts that have less than 25 DSR (detailed seller ratings) in the last 12 months.

Yes it says OK to ship in my pp account, but the funds will not be available until estimated 1/30. What if I ship the item and then the seller claims fraud...what happens to my payment then? I feel really nervous about shipping before receiving payment, I thought that was a huge no-no.

It sounds like Paypal are holding the funds but if you're in any doubt as to why then the only solution would be to ring them. If they are holding based on your account then you're going to get this no matter who buys your item.

This offers an explanation:
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/holds-reserves

In such cases, you are expected to ship before the funds are released.

I don't think a 'fund hold' makes any difference if the buyer files a case for whatever reason. The funds will be not be released to you whilst the case is in progress. If the funds were released to you and a dispute was raised, PP would simply put your account into the negative until the case was resolved one way or another. Either way, PP get the money back!!

Hope that helps.

It's not that you haven't received payment. As shown in your account, you DID receive payment. You just don't have access to it yet.

Thank you all so much for your help. It appears you guys are right and it's PP holding my funds, not the seller using e-check or something like that. PP says "OK TO SHIP". I haven't sold anything for a while, then sold two high end items in Dec and now this item, so I guess my sporadic selling had me flagged.

Panic subsiding...

Thank you all so much for your help. It appears you guys are right and it's PP holding my funds, not the seller using e-check or something like that. PP says "OK TO SHIP". I haven't sold anything for a while, then sold two high end items in Dec and now this item, so I guess my sporadic selling had me flagged.

Panic subsiding...
Yay! :hugs:

Panic subsiding...

Yay...:smile:

Better to be safe than sorry , so if "panic" does set it, you
did the right thing by getting clarity...