Rude/catty comments regarding your designer jewelry and watches

How rude!!! Your SIL reminds me of mine. My SIL thinks that I spend all of my hubby's money and that I stole her brother away from her when we got married. Well, the next time she makes comments about my bags or jewelry, I am going to tell her that I make more than her brother so I can spend my hard earned money on whatever I want.

Love this!

When DH and I were first married, I was wearing a smaller diamond ring. I went to visit my grandmother and my uncle (who lives with her) commented that my ring looked cheap. I wanted to say, "Excuse me! You have some nerve commenting on my ring when you still live at home with your mother rent free!" but I didn't. I simply replied, "We bought what we could afford to pay cash for" and that shut him up quickly. I have no idea why he thought it looked cheap; it was a beautiful, high-quality diamond ring (.33 center stone) that I wore for 16 years.

Lol my ex hubby's mother made rude comments all the time about how small my diamond was, needed a magnifying glass to see it etc.

Yes it was small, no it wasn't a magnificent sparkler, but it's the one HER SON saved to buy me as a uni student with a casual job. It used to really bug me, not for my sake, but for his.

She should have been proud of him, not belittling him.

Oh honey, that story just breaks my heart! I'm the queen of cheap but if a $108 hoodie keeps you warm and happy, that's not really much at all for a garment that gives one bliss. My mom, a Depression baby more frugal than most of us could ever imagine, used to say "It's only expensive if you don't wear it." It sounds as if you get a great deal of happiness, warmth and wear out of the hoodie, so really you didn't pay much at all for it, not in the great sum of life anyway. A life we all know in which it isn't always so easy to find happiness, especially not in simple everyday enduring joys. But then it's no one else's business anyway how much it did cost, or what you spent, because, well, it's not anyone's business.

Reading the stories in this thread leaves me with a great deal of sadness. Why are people so obsessed with determining whether someone else can afford something, and then quickly passing judgement like an executioner because of it? What right do people have to do this, and to be so nasty, cruel and condescending when they do? Absolutely none, but yet they do it. What a horror human nature is sometimes.

Darkangel, I hope you continue to enjoy your hard-earned hoodie and ignore the clods. You deserve all the happiness it brings you! :blossom:

Thank you so much for your kind words!!! I really appreciate it. :hugs:

ok, i remembered when we first got married, my FIL looked at my ring and asked "is that real?" i replied " you have to ask your son." he smiled and laughed.

i didn't think it was rude cos my FIL is usually a very quiet & nice man :smile:

i think sometimes comments can be perceived differently by different people. the only difference is if we know the person and know if he/she is being rude or just plain curious?

ok, i remembered when we first got married, my FIL looked at my ring and asked "is that real?" i replied " you have to ask your son." he smiled and laughed.

i didn't think it was rude cos my FIL is usually a very quiet & nice man :smile:

i think sometimes comments can be perceived differently by different people. the only difference is if we know the person and know if he/she is being rude or just plain curious?

so true! And kinda funny that your FIL was taken aback by your 'rock' lol. He sounds cute.

My best friend's gf used to get jealous of everything, including material stuff that I owned! There was this one time, my DH got me my first pair of designer shoes, she made really nasty comments to our mutual friends (in front of me) saying I spend more of my husband's money than her spending her boyfriend's and at least she buys bags and not something you step on the ground with. For your information, I'm a professional earning decent money and I could have well afford all these stuff myself! Really pissed me off and I'm quite sad my best friend and her are still dating!

Oh honey, that story just breaks my heart! I'm the queen of cheap but if a $108 hoodie keeps you warm and happy, that's not really much at all for a garment that gives one bliss. My mom, a Depression baby more frugal than most of us could ever imagine, used to say "It's only expensive if you don't wear it." It sounds as if you get a great deal of happiness, warmth and wear out of the hoodie, so really you didn't pay much at all for it, not in the great sum of life anyway. A life we all know in which it isn't always so easy to find happiness, especially not in simple everyday enduring joys. But then it's no one else's business anyway how much it did cost, or what you spent, because, well, it's not anyone's business.

Reading the stories in this thread leaves me with a great deal of sadness. Why are people so obsessed with determining whether someone else can afford something, and then quickly passing judgement like an executioner because of it? What right do people have to do this, and to be so nasty, cruel and condescending when they do? Absolutely none, but yet they do it. What a horror human nature is sometimes.

Darkangel, I hope you continue to enjoy your hard-earned hoodie and ignore the clods. You deserve all the happiness it brings you! :blossom:

Oh my gosh I LOVE that quote, "It's only expensive if you don't wear it." Truer words were never said about my closet! I have so many $500 dress mistakes in there but a few that are my go-to's and have they ever "earned their keep"! I splurged on a Jimmy Choo bag and have been too scared to use it (what if I ruin it - can't resell it) - the cost freaks me out every time I take it out of the bag. If I had been wearing it all fall/winter the cost per use basis would have definitely made it reasonable - I realize now what an idiot I'm being!!

You enjoy your gorgeous scuba hoodie and don't let haters get you down!

My best comeback for "is that real?" "No... it's a figure of your imagination." :roflmfao:

I was in San Francisco visiting my brother and mother. When I was shopping for presents in the mall with my brother, I decided to purchase a bracelet for myself. He later expressed how he has "never seen anyone drop "X" amount of money on a whim.." and criticized me heavily. Yeah, but he had no problem asking me to buy all of those gifts for him and his girlfriend, buy them merchandise at CVS, and allowed my mother to buy them lunch without thanking her. :rolleyes:

But, I get it. He's an older brother. So I'm sure it's because he feels embarrassed or jealous and he's taking it out on me.

Last summer while vacationing in Vail, another couple kept looking at my e ring. I overheard the husband whisper "fake"...:wtf:
I said, "actually, it's CARTIER"...
The couple apologized.

Wow, that's so rude. Plus you wouldn't expect it was the husband this time, normally women are the one who gets jealous at others fabulous jewelry :P