Hold out for Birkin or go for the practicality of Jypsiere?...

bem3231

O.G.
Aug 10, 2008
Hi ladies...

I have a dilemma. As a handbag-obsessed luxury brand devotee I have, as many do, obsessed over a Birkin for a long time as the sort of 'ultimate acquisition'. The problem is that I am NOT a handheld bag girl at all. To make matters worse, I have a 2.5 year old daughter and a second child arriving in April, which has changed my lifestyle considerably and made handheld bags that much less practical.

Still... there is a part of me that longs for a Birkin, despite the fact that I think that it may spend most of it's life stored in my closet, which seems like a bit of a waste. I spent quite a bit of time in my Hermes boutique yesterday looking at Jypsieres. I have looked at them before (when I purchased an Evelyn GM last year) but discounted them due to the price tag. Now I am considering a Jypsiere again - a 'sort of' Birkin style but in a more practical package.

The thing that gives me pause is that for the price of a new Jypsiere, it wouldn't be that much more of an investment to go for the Birkin (I would probably be interested in a Birkin 35, and in a Jypsiere 34).

My question for anyone out there who have been in a similar dilemma re: wanting a Birkin but unsure of being able to make the switch to handheld - do you think that a Jypsiere would sate me, or should I just hold out and get the Birkin despite the fact that I don't think it would be that practical a choice for me?

I have also considered a pre-loved Jypsiere, as you seem to be able to find them at a reasonable savings. That said, I have never bought pre-loved before so would be a bit nervous.

Any feedback and / or advice would be most appreciated!

Thank you! :smile:

Trying a Birkin now, with babies isn't the time. You have plenty of years to love a Birkin later, but you are going to be too busy to even think about taking care of babies and Birkin. Jypsiere is a gorgeous bag but do you love it? Getting in and out of it despite the shoulder strap can be a challenge I hear. Is Evelyn too casual for your style?

What about Kelly?

I have considered Kelly - the pro's are the shoulder strap (and the overall gorgeousness!). I find that Kelly is maybe a little too formal looking to get a lot of use from me right now. I have a few Chanel flaps that I sort of consider filling a similar role in my wardrobe to what might be expected of a Kelly. I find the Birkin to be a bit more 'dress up or down', and the fact is that generally speaking I'm definitely more on the 'dressed down' end of the spectrum - hence thinking that Jypsiere might be a good fit.

I have considered Kelly - the pro's are the shoulder strap (and the overall gorgeousness!). I find that Kelly is maybe a little too formal looking to get a lot of use from me right now. I have a few Chanel flaps that I sort of consider filling a similar role in my wardrobe to what might be expected of a Kelly. I find the Birkin to be a bit more 'dress up or down', and the fact is that generally speaking I'm definitely more on the 'dressed down' end of the spectrum - hence thinking that Jypsiere might be a good fit.

I thought Kelly might be the perfect bag for u! It can be casual looking if you avoid the sellier altogether. Would Jypsiere be alittle hard to get in and out of? Read about that in TPF and wonder if it might pose a problem to you since you need to have both hands for kids.

Trying a Birkin now, with babies isn't the time. You have plenty of years to love a Birkin later, but you are going to be too busy to even think about taking care of babies and Birkin. Jypsiere is a gorgeous bag but do you love it? Getting in and out of it despite the shoulder strap can be a challenge I hear. Is Evelyn too casual for your style?

Thank you for your feedback! The Jypsiere is growing on me. My biggest misgiving is that there is no easy-access place for my phone. I do like Evelyn but I got Blue Jean and so it makes it a bit more of a casual fun piece. Perhaps Evelyn in Etoupe or Gold would have been a better choice, but Hermes colors are so darned tempting!

I see Jypsiere as being able to be dressed up a bit more. Also I like that I can use a 90cm silk twill scarf as a shoulder strap when I'd like to...

bem3231 said:
Hi ladies...

I have a dilemma. As a handbag-obsessed luxury brand devotee I have, as many do, obsessed over a Birkin for a long time as the sort of 'ultimate acquisition'. The problem is that I am NOT a handheld bag girl at all. To make matters worse, I have a 2.5 year old daughter and a second child arriving in April, which has changed my lifestyle considerably and made handheld bags that much less practical.

Still... there is a part of me that longs for a Birkin, despite the fact that I think that it may spend most of it's life stored in my closet, which seems like a bit of a waste. I spent quite a bit of time in my Hermes boutique yesterday looking at Jypsieres. I have looked at them before (when I purchased an Evelyn GM last year) but discounted them due to the price tag. Now I am considering a Jypsiere again - a 'sort of' Birkin style but in a more practical package.

The thing that gives me pause is that for the price of a new Jypsiere, it wouldn't be that much more of an investment to go for the Birkin (I would probably be interested in a Birkin 35, and in a Jypsiere 34).

My question for anyone out there who have been in a similar dilemma re: wanting a Birkin but unsure of being able to make the switch to handheld - do you think that a Jypsiere would sate me, or should I just hold out and get the Birkin despite the fact that I don't think it would be that practical a choice for me?

I have also considered a pre-loved Jypsiere, as you seem to be able to find them at a reasonable savings. That said, I have never bought pre-loved before so would be a bit nervous.

Any feedback and / or advice would be most appreciated!

Thank you! :smile:

It sounds to me that you would really love to have a Birkin but don't see it as practical. IMO the Birkin is very practical. Go for the 35 Black or other darker color with a durable leather such as Togo or Fjord (although I've heard that many of the other leathers such as Swift or Clemence are quite durable as well) so that it keeps its shape & is more scratch resistant. The Birkin is quite a hardy bag!

I bought the jypsiere 28 while waiting on my first birkin 35 to be offered. I ended up getting my birkin offered to me only 2 months after by my SA. I now have the 2 to compare and here is my take. FYI I have a toddler.

Pros, I find the jypsiere easy to wear and comfortable to carry. I find it easy to get in and out of since I put the flap inside the bag and carry it with hardware closed so nothing falls out or anything, very secure that way even with the open top. However I'm sure the smaller size helps with that since the opening is smaller. The bag is very light weight for me, but again its a 28.

Con's, I do not find the bag dressy whatsoever. I find it very very causal, which is why I don't wear it as often as I thought that I would. I also don't love the long shoulder strap, and wish Hermes would offer a shorter strap as well. I tried using the silk scarf 90 with it but can't figure it out. Not that it matters since I really would prefer to have shorter leather strap instead.

The birkin however is perfect. Easy to carry, dresses up or down. Not too heavy for me, good size for carrying a lot or a little because it holds its shape. I also carry my birkin open with flap inside and hardware closed in front.

So all in all, I don't regret buying either, but prefer the birkin hands down.

Last edited:
it sounds like the B is not really your type of bag but because you are a collector, it is a must have, and you are happy to let it sit in the closet..and it wouldn't fit your lifestyle for another few years at least..if money is not an issue, i would say try and get a B if the B is really really what you want since who knows how difficult it would be to get a store bought B in the future and prices go up each year. if you are ok with the ebay/reseller route then it is not so urgent.

i have never liked the jypsiere, it is a lot heavier than the evelyne and i don't like the look when it is unstrapped. if strapped, then it takes ages to get to your phone when it is ringing or take a tissue out etc...have you tried on a jypsiere in the store to see whether it sits well on your frame and also try to strap and unstrap the bag etc..?

i think the evelyne is a great bag, and perfect for moms who need to be handsfree and easy access. i travel with my evelyne all the time..perfect for holding bottles, laptops, documents etc..

It sounds to me that you would really love to have a Birkin but don't see it as practical. IMO the Birkin is very practical. Go for the 35 Black or other darker color with a durable leather such as Togo or Fjord (although I've heard that many of the other leathers such as Swift or Clemence are quite durable as well) so that it keeps its shape & is more scratch resistant. The Birkin is quite a hardy bag!

I agree with this. Even if you buy a Jypsiere now, a part of you will always want the Birkin. If I may, I'd suggest buying a pre-loved Jypsiere and waiting for a Birkin. I have two young children myself and typically carry a shoulder bag when out with them. I use my Birkin on days when I'm not with them but do use it when I'm out with them as well, and it's fine. My youngest is slightly older than yours and there's something to be said for the line: "Mummy's hands are full, you have to carry your own stuff now".

And if we have to hold hands, then the older one has to help out.

Do try the bags out in the boutiques as well. A fully loaded clemence Jypsy can be heavy too.

HTH! Good luck in your decision!

have you consider a Toolbox also? It comes with a detachable shoulder strap and i think can be dressed up or down depending how you wear it (batwinged or more formal closed and handheld)

carlinha said:
have you consider a Toolbox also? It comes with a detachable shoulder strap and i think can be dressed up or down depending how you wear it (batwinged or more formal closed and handheld)

I haven't but will look into it - thanks for the suggestion!

fansynancy said:
What about a Lindy? It even has a handy outside pocket for your phone.

I have looked at the lindy a few times. I like the practicality of it but not the boxiness. I am tall so the jypsiere works well on me. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

I didnt finish your story but I still say if you have a chance to get a Birkin, get it first, cos people's lifestyle change according to age, to your mood etc etc...if your longing for B is so strong, I think you should get one if chance upon one. Jysiere would be for your needs but I find this design is heavy as compare to Lindy