FedEx "signature required" warning!

kayti

Jan 21, 2010
This is not directly related to eBay but I read about delivery fiascos (usually involving scams) all the time here so I'm adding my little story/rant:

I sent a Chanel WOC to Barbara at LMB a couple of weeks ago because I'd tried to clean it with a wet wipe and it removed some of the color. Anyway, she sent it back via FedEx with signature required which I expected for $15 shipping. Since I'm out of the country now I arranged for her to ship it to my friend instead. FedEx first attempted yesterday and my friend was at work so they attempted again today. They left the package today, I'm assuming the driver signed for it since it's a private house, not an apartment complex with anyone else around to sign.. Thankfully my friend just got home and let me know the package IS there, but apparently "signature required" means nothing! Just forewarning others.......

That happened to me recently with s UK courier company, he signed for my package using my name at 9.30am and left it on the doorstep in the pouring rain. I got home at 5.30 from work to find a soggy box but thankfully my special edition mulberry bag was ok

I'm really shocked. I lived in a gated apt community in LA once when I was moving heavy Ikea furniture boxes from the elevator to my unit just around the corner one at a time and a couple of boxes were stolen BY MY NEIGHBOR in <5 minutes. So I really hate the idea of a Chanel bag sitting on a doorstep for hours (this is in suburban MA though so I get that it's different). I also don't like the fact that the drivers could steal as well; (I remember a recent thread here about a Tiffany bean necklace mysteriously disappearing).. :sad: Alas, my friend opened the package and the bag is FINE...

That happened to me recently with s UK courier company, he signed for my package using my name at 9.30am and left it on the doorstep in the pouring rain. I got home at 5.30 from work to find a soggy box but thankfully my special edition mulberry bag was ok

OMG thank goodness it was ok!

I have had the opposite experience with UPS and fed-x - our drivers are very strict - and have never left a package without a signature by me or my husband even though we live in a very secure gated community......often I end up routing my packages to my office because I know they are not going to let one slip by and leave it on the doorstep.

I had the same experience with UPS, they said to me that it's up to the driver to just leave the package on recipient's door/porch as long as they think it's safe. So even if you buy signature confirmation they just can leave it there?! And this is a problem with PP/transaction over 250$.

I have had the opposite experience with UPS and fed-x - our drivers are very strict - and have never left a package without a signature by me or my husband even though we live in a very secure gated community......often I end up routing my packages to my office because I know they are not going to let one slip by and leave it on the doorstep.

My delivery people are also very strict, USPS included--adult signature required.

I often just have the package held at the FedEx office if I know I won't be around that day.

I'm glad my delivery people follow the rules, even if I have to wait a day or two.

I have a suspicion that the delivery driver that left my package wanted to finish early and didn't want to back to the depot - it was in between Christmas and New Year. I wouldn't have minded going to the depot to collect - in fact I was expecting that as I wasn't home. I do mind someone scrawling my name on a handheld computer and scarpering while leaving a package open to the elements, theft, damage, etc. I expect if it had disappeared I would have had a lot of problems trying to persuade them that I wasn't the one that signed for it

I just signed today for a package from UPS for my DD; the guy said it was okay (which I thought was a bit odd) then asked for my name. As it was from Apple, and it was my $ funding it, I didn't have a problem with it, but if it had been for an expensive purchase from someone off ebay, I would have. Signature should be from the person it's addressed to imo.

Usually UPS just rings the door, leaves the package(s) and runs (although I've had them not even stop and say they did).

This is not directly related to eBay but I read about delivery fiascos (usually involving scams) all the time here so I'm adding my little story/rant:

I sent a Chanel WOC to Barbara at LMB a couple of weeks ago because I'd tried to clean it with a wet wipe and it removed some of the color. Anyway, she sent it back via FedEx with signature required which I expected for $15 shipping. Since I'm out of the country now I arranged for her to ship it to my friend instead. FedEx first attempted yesterday and my friend was at work so they attempted again today. They left the package today, I'm assuming the driver signed for it since it's a private house, not an apartment complex with anyone else around to sign.. Thankfully my friend just got home and let me know the package IS there, but apparently "signature required" means nothing! Just forewarning others.......
Was it shipped ground or express, do you know? They are actually independent of each other...