Lethargic cat- can barely move & drinking lots of water

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
Hi all,

As of Monday, my cat has been really sick. Monday morning she didn't want anything to do with her food, she didn't want to go outside (which she lives for) and she was laying in really odd places for long periods of time. It worried me enough to take her to the vet that morning. They ran a blood & urine analysis and other tests. Nothing has been definitive. She had a high glucose score but they didn't feel comfortable calling her diabetic. They said it was not unusual for a very stressed cat to score that high.. they suggested we do an additional test with an outside lab that would be able to show where her glucose levels have been for the last 30 days. They said her kidneys were a little smaller than average but they weren't concerned. She also has a small bladder stone but they didn't believe it was causing these symptoms or that it was blocking the urethra at this point.

Since bringing her home her condition has stayed the same or worsened. She barely moves from a 4sqft area. She'll take a few strained steps and then lay there for hours. I had x-rays taken and there wasn't a blockage. I just don't know what is wrong with her and neither do the doctors. Any experience with this? Here are her symptoms as of now:

- Very lethargic/ struggles to walk
- Drinking a lot of water
- Urinating ok
- Eating very small amounts when food is brought to her
- Laying in same place for hours
- Had a small bm last night
- The vet did say her electrolyte levels were wonky.

** Test results came back this morning and her glucose levels are normal. She is not diabetic and her kidneys are functioning.

** They also doubted that she had poisoning because her liver enzymes were normal.

Any ideas?? I hate seeing her like this. The vet asked me to bring her in again tomorrow morning but I know it will probably be another round of tests that are inconclusive. I will do it though.

Here she is at her water dish yesterday, which I have never seen her do. She cannot stand up to eat/ drink but at least she is eating a little and drinking water.

Attachments

• image-3941583576.jpg
    image-3941583576.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 12,951
Oh no! I am so sorry. :hugs:

I am going through a similar experience (different symptoms/diagnosis) with one of my older cats. He has perked up a bit, but he still isn't the 'same'.

Someone here should be able to help. I am in awe of the range of knowledge and experience here. Better than the vet sometimes.

get better beautiful baby

Last edited:
^ Thanks! I hope your kitty fully recovers. :hugs:

That reminds me, my cat is 7 years old and could stand to loose a little weight but it shouldn't be causing this.

I hope your kitty just has a tummy bug and gets better soon. :hugs:

If you haven't done it yet, see about getting a full blood panel, including viruses to rule out FeLv, FIV, etc. Have you done a UA to see what kind of crystals/stones may be in the bladder? Is she running a temperature?

I think I would be inclined to try to push the food if she isn't barfing. Plain meat baby food (no onion/garlic) or AD would be best. If they quit eating, you can quickly go to liver failure, and if they feel pukey, they sometimes won't eat.

Have you had weather where you are that she might have come into contact with car anti-freeze, ice melter, or other household chemicals? Is anything missing around the house that could have caused a blockage in her intestines?

I hope your kitty just has a tummy bug and gets better soon. :hugs:

If you haven't done it yet, see about getting a full blood panel, including viruses to rule out FeLv, FIV, etc. Have you done a UA to see what kind of crystals/stones may be in the bladder? Is she running a temperature?

I think I would be inclined to try to push the food if she isn't barfing. Plain meat baby food (no onion/garlic) or AD would be best. If they quit eating, you can quickly go to liver failure, and if they feel pukey, they sometimes won't eat.

Have you had weather where you are that she might have come into contact with car anti-freeze, ice melter, or other household chemicals? Is anything missing around the house that could have caused a blockage in her intestines?

1) I believe they did a full blood panel but I will double check..

2) The did a UA/ X-rays of abdomen and found one small stone in her bladder but they don't believe it would be causing this severe of a reaction and she is not having trouble urinating other than the strength to get to the litter box. She has not been urinating outside the box at all, either.

3) She had the slightest temp at the vet monday morning but they said it was most likely stress because it was so low grade. (And she was really stressed that morning)

4) I have been pushing food and she hasn't thrown any of it up. She just eats a really small amount. I feed my cats Wellness brand -mostly wet but supplement with a little dry at night.

5) No access to household cleaners or antifreeze. Nothing out of the norm. Plus, the vet said her liver enzymes would be off if she had ingested something hazardous.

I just don't know.. Thank you for your reply.

Did they mention anything neurological?? When my cat had his "stroke" those are pretty much the symptoms he had. He stayed in one spot on the bed all day, wouldn't come to eat (he weighs 18 lbs, clearly he likes to eat) and was very vacant looking. He just kind of looked like he was staring off into nothing all day. At one point during the night he threw up a few times and peed on me, which is when I am guessing the worst of it must have hit him.
When the vet was checking him the next day she noticed he had what's called a pendular nystagmus when she tipped him onto his back. What happens is their eyes will tick back and forth like a clock - I believe they can move either horizontally or vertically, Teddy's was horizontal. He ended up having a human MRI and they never did find anything so I just now call it a stroke. He is mostly fine now but I have noticed some side effects. He still seems a little vacant and he can't or won't jump anymore or climb onto certain things. Other than that he is his typical self.

Does your cat like ribbon or tape? We have to watch we don't leave any lying around, they can ingest long pieces and it can cause a lot of problems. Usually they are throwing up though which I'm not seeing as a symptom.

Hope you get answers soon! I know the worry that you are feeling....

Hmmmm. You covered all my ideas with those tests. The only thing left that I can think of is heart problem or brain problem. But I would think the vet would be able to tell something like that from the exam. Does she have cold/flu like symptoms? I know the kitty flu is going around. I guess I would check and see if she had a complete blood panel and if not I would get one. It's so scary when our fur kids are sick and we don't know why. Is it possible she is in pain? Maybe a pinched nerve or something? Something that makes it hurt to walk? I am out of ideas. :sad: How old is she?

Did they mention anything neurological?? When my cat had his "stroke" those are pretty much the symptoms he had. He stayed in one spot on the bed all day, wouldn't come to eat (he weighs 18 lbs, clearly he likes to eat) and was very vacant looking. He just kind of looked like he was staring off into nothing all day. At one point during the night he threw up a few times and peed on me, which is when I am guessing the worst of it must have hit him.
When the vet was checking him the next day she noticed he had what's called a pendular nystagmus when she tipped him onto his back. What happens is their eyes will tick back and forth like a clock - I believe they can move either horizontally or vertically, Teddy's was horizontal. He ended up having a human MRI and they never did find anything so I just now call it a stroke. He is mostly fine now but I have noticed some side effects. He still seems a little vacant and he can't or won't jump anymore or climb onto certain things. Other than that he is his typical self.

I don't know if they did any neurological, good question. It didn't even occur to me. My cat seems totally vacant right now. She will quietly purr when I pet her softly but other than that she doesn't meow or respond to much. She's not even really sleeping, like with her head down. She just stares into space. I will ask the vet tomorrow.

Does your cat like ribbon or tape? We have to watch we don't leave any lying around, they can ingest long pieces and it can cause a lot of problems. Usually they are throwing up though which I'm not seeing as a symptom.

Hope you get answers soon! I know the worry that you are feeling....

My other cat does but not this one. My other cat will eat just about anything she can get her paws on, tape, plastic, wires.. but this cat has never done anything like that. Plus, if she had swallowed something odd, I think they'd see it on the X-rays but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, it's not in her character to eat foreign objects so I don't believe that is it. =(

Hey. Sorry to hear of your poorly kitty. It sounds like a strange one. Have you tried using Feliway? If its related to anxiety or stress, Feliway works wonders. But I would defo go bad to the vet. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Hmmmm. You covered all my ideas with those tests. The only thing left that I can think of is heart problem or brain problem. But I would think the vet would be able to tell something like that from the exam. Does she have cold/flu like symptoms? I know the kitty flu is going around. I guess I would check and see if she had a complete blood panel and if not I would get one. It's so scary when our fur kids are sick and we don't know why. Is it possible she is in pain? Maybe a pinched nerve or something? Something that makes it hurt to walk? I am out of ideas. :sad: How old is she?

She doesn't have any cold/ flu symptoms unless cats can get a stomach bug.. but even then, I'd think she'd be vomiting or have the runs. :shrugs:

I think her heart is fine, I'm going to ask about possible neurological issues tomorrow. I honestly can't tell if she's in actual pain or just super tired, drowsy, lethargic. She seems to struggle when she walks but that could be from very low energy. I don't know how to tell if she is in pain. She's not making any weird noises..

She's 7 years old and 13 lbs.

Poor kitty........................I hope they can figure out what is ailing her.

For a while I thought mine was a rapid onset of senility. I have no idea how old he is. He was a stray that wandered in as an adult cat 10-12 years ago. He has lots of gray furs on his face and chest. But as he showed a low WBC he may have had a bit of a virus.