Weirdest Ebay Experience of My Ebay'ing Career!?! Please HELP!

jamidee

Chanel,Loubi,LV ohmy
Jul 9, 2009
I sold a designer purse on Ebay on November 7th, 2012. The buyer asked me to wait a day or two for payment. I obliged. She waited until the 16th of November. I sold it because I needed the money and I told her so. After she paid, she asked for it to be overnighted to her at my expense. I told her I would because I needed the money released promptly if she agreed to leave feedback as soon as she received it and was satisfied. I overnighted it and she picked it up, then left no feedback. I messaged her a total of 4 times in the next few weeks asking if everything was fine and she was satisfied and for feedback. I got none. She received the purse the 17th of Nov. On the 2nd of January, she messaged me via ebay saying that the bag is a fake and she wants a refund. I messaged her back and stated that she's had the bag for two months and I asked if she was satisfied 4 times and got to response. She said the zipper looks cheap and admitted to wearing it during the last two months. I assured her that it was authentic and I don't sell fakes, that it was from my own personal collection and she should get it authenticated either here or on a paid site. She said she wanted a refund. I promptly called ebay and paypal both said she couldn't ask for a refund because it had been almost 2 months since she received the purse. She's couldn't open a case or anything. Paypal did say that she could try to get a charge back on her credit card, but they would assist me in refuting it. So here's the funny part-
I got the purse in the mail today. Sent UPS red on the 2nd- the day she contacted me. She hasn't been refunded from my paypal. But, the purse was insured and tracked. What is going on? I'm not sure what to do? Is it now my responsibility to send it back to her at my expense when I told her I wouldn't refund her and ebay/paypal said I don't have to either? I'm so lost. Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Am I going to be getting a call from her credit card company and maybe they told her to send it back? I just can't imagine her just blindly sending it back....also it's crazy that she could send it back in hopes of a refund and it would be MY responsibility to send it back at my expense. The shipping wasn't cheap. Someone please help me. I don't want to get screwed in this.... thanks.

She is probably planning on filing a credit card chargeback. Just hang onto the bag and wait for the next shoe to drop.

Hopefully the bag came back to you in the same condition it left.

She is probably planning on filing a credit card chargeback. Just hang onto the bag and wait for the next shoe to drop.

Hopefully the bag came back to you in the same condition it left.

It was returned to me this morning. Without a charge back or any money being sent back to her via my paypal. This is why I'm so confused as to what is happening. Also, the bag is significantly worn especially for someone stating it's fake.

Even though it's been two months, what are her chances of getting a charge back? Paypal said they will refuse it on their end when she tries. What happens to the purse if she doesn't get one?

She could still file a chargeback on her credit card. Different credit cards have different time limits but two months isn't too long for most.

I haven't experienced a chargeback myself and I don't know what recourse you might have in fighting it and how much help Paypal will provide. Most sellers don't seem to view chargebacks with much optimism.

She hasn't filed it yet or you would have been notified. If she doesn't file a chargeback, I would just hang onto the bag for awhile and then decide. I would not contact her to ask what is going on. Just wait and see.

northerndancer said:
She could still file a chargeback on her credit card. Different credit cards have different time limits but two months isn't too long for most.

I haven't experienced a chargeback myself and I don't know what recourse you might have in fighting it and how much help Paypal will provide. Most sellers don't seem to view chargebacks with much optimism.

She hasn't filed it yet or you would have been notified. If she doesn't file a chargeback, I would just hang onto the bag for awhile and then decide. I would not contact her to ask what is going on. Just wait and see.

Should I contact PayPal?

I don't think there is anything more Paypal can do at this point than telling you what they already said in your first conversation with them...
I would just wait and see what happens.
This is so weird indeed! To me it sounds like she is having buyers remorse/ got sick of the bag after using it, and now just wants her money back, but has clearly no real clue on how to 'properly' do this.

marie-lou said:
I don't think there is anything more Paypal can do at this point than telling you what they already said in your first conversation with them...
I would just wait and see what happens.
This is so weird indeed! To me it sounds like she is having buyers remorse/ got sick of the bag after using it, and now just wants her money back, but has clearly no real clue on how to 'properly' do this.

:yes: that's what I was hoping it was and not That she knew a backwards way to
Do it that i wasnt aware of and i am going to get screwed out of money :-/

:yes: that's what I was hoping it was and not That she knew a backwards way to
Do it that i wasnt aware of and i am going to get screwed out of money :-/

Weird indeed. Maybe she will now contact her CC company and ask for a charge back providing them with proof of shipment etc.

Does she have a lot of feedback? If not then maybe she has no clue how to do things the right way. Good luck!

Your buyer has mistaken you for QVC and their extended holiday return policy of January 31st.

:tdown:

I would contact Paypal again and tell them that the purse was sent to you and that it's significantly different than it was sent out. It was obviously worn over the past 2 months.

What's up with these chargebacks? I can't believe they make it so easy for someone to rip off a retailer with such abuse.

I would also take very detailed pictures of the bag and lots of them to document the condition etc. Make sure they are super sharp and focused. Maybe she's hoping that by just sending you the bag back she'll somehow bully you in refunding her payment?

Your buyer has mistaken you for QVC and their extended holiday return policy of January 31st.

:tdown:

I would contact Paypal again and tell them that the purse was sent to you and that it's significantly different than it was sent out. It was obviously worn over the past 2 months.

What's up with these chargebacks? I can't believe they make it so easy for someone to rip off a retailer with such abuse.

:goodpost: Do people get away with this stuff at stores that don't have liberal return policies (not Nordstrom or Macy's)???

Just reading that Nordies thread in the general shopping section is enough to make ones blood boil.

My mother is a serial returner and I never wanted to be like her, so I buy VERY carefully. I hate returning anything unless it's defective.