Designer Inspired BUT NOT COUNTERFEIT!

Cartyatid

Dec 28, 2012
I love the look of Chanel, but sadly, cannot afford to buy the much coveted tweed blazer. I do own a couple of Chanel-inspired jackets from brands like Forever 21, H&M, INC (by Macy's) etc, but never in anyway misrepresent them as Chanel.

I HATE HATE HATE counterfeit items! I would rather buy a nice mass-market label than purchase a fake Luxury Designer Item.

However, I've read that some detest the likes of Aldo (which I confess I like!) because their designs are very close to luxury brands.

What are you thoughts on Luxury Designer Inspired items that are not FAKE? IMHO, I think they are all good as long as the wearer does not go thru the extent of painting the soles red and telling people that they are the actual "red sole shoes" or re-sewing buttons with CC on them (hahaha) I think they are good because it makes good DESIGN (not brand!) accessible to more women. I think every women, regardless of income, should have the opportunity to style herself well and she should not be judged for drawing INSPIRATION from the runway. Again, I use the word inspiration because I do not in anyway condone FAKE/COUNTERFEIT "I AM CHANEL BUT NOT REALLY" items.

Oh boy...

This topic has been flogged to death on tPF, lol! And there never seems to be any true middle ground between the varying sides - one believes designer-inspired pieces are okay, another believes inspired equals counterfeit, some believe it is okay to fake it until you make it (i.e. faux is fine - a no no according to tPF rules though).

Anyway, I'm going to sit back and see if this will be as entertaining as the other similar threads. And if you are wondering, here are a few of them:

- Annoyed to see fakes? (LV-specific)
- Why Do People Buy Fake Designer Bags Or Fake Designer Anything?
- Celine look alikes (Celine-specific)

Hmm, someone even had a thread that included a report/study about how people who wear faux are generally less truthful or have less integrity than others :thinking:

A quick search may point you in the direction of some of the other more colorful discussions.

:smile:

I don't think there's any harm in designs being INSPIRED by a brand and a look from a more upscale brand. It's also sometimes fun to see how the inspiration gets tweaked.

What I do have an issue with is when a middle-of-the-road brand pretty much rips off an upscale brand with a poorly-made, albeit inexpensive version of the original.

well i am going to be honest--everyone has to decide what is important to them. for example i really wanted a hermes CDC bracelet....until i learned it wasn't real gold...it's costume jewelry. i do not want to spend that much on costume jewelry. why? bc i do not think it is a wise way to spend MY money. others can spend it but i will not. i am satisfied with a bcbg/juicy couture version of a cuff with pyramid studs.

brainstorm said:
I don't think there's any harm in designs being INSPIRED by a brand and a look from a more upscale brand. It's also sometimes fun to see how the inspiration gets tweaked.

What I do have an issue with is when a middle-of-the-road brand pretty much rips off an upscale brand with a poorly-made, albeit inexpensive version of the original.

This! I avoid ALL Steve Madden for the very same reason. Blatant ripoffs are not okay.

Inspirations I generally don't mind.

This! I avoid ALL Steve Madden for the very same reason. Blatant ripoffs are not okay.

Inspirations I generally don't mind.

+1

However, nothing is new under the sun and I feel like certain items, like leopard print wedges, are so universal that it'd be hard to recognise it as a particular iconic designer piece.

Yet the McQ skull print scarves though... I'm not a fan of the blatant copying there.

well i am going to be honest--everyone has to decide what is important to them. for example i really wanted a hermes CDC bracelet....until i learned it wasn't real gold...it's costume jewelry. i do not want to spend that much on costume jewelry. why? bc i do not think it is a wise way to spend MY money. others can spend it but i will not. i am satisfied with a bcbg/juicy couture version of a cuff with pyramid studs.

Great post! You're a smart lady, AEGIS!

I'm feeling the same way about the Cartier LOVE bracelet. I absolutely love the style and I've been wanting one forever, but I really don't know if I want to spend so much money on one bracelet, even if it is real gold. I'm trying to find something similar and cheaper but no luck so far.

Cartyatid, I agree whole-heartedly with your post. I despise fakes, but I do not see anything wrong with designer-inspired items.

Last edited:

I'm feeling the same way about the Cartier LOVE bracelet. I absolutely love the style and I've been wanting one forever, but I really don't know if I want to spend so much money on one bracelet, even if it is real gold. I'm trying to find something similar and cheaper but no luck so far.

Cartyatid, I agree whole-heartedly with your post. I despise fakes, but I do not see anything wrong with designer-inspired items.

yes I have heard the gold content doesn't merit the price. it's a pity

I don't know. It doesn't bother me when other people do it (whether they be out-and-out fakes or just inspired by), but whenever I try and think about pulling the trigger on the LUSH Luggage knock-off for instance, I feel smarmy.

I love Steve Madden (though I refuse to pay full-price) so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite... :wondering:

Last edited:
HermesNewbie said:

Just a thought a good jeweler could certainly make you something that is similar for a fraction of the price of the Love.

Interesting.. I have wondered the same. I can see smaller brands making inspired pieces but when its 95% identical minus the label I think its treading on thin ice. Skulls, the speedy shape, ugg look a like etc are pushing it a bit far. Just look at Blue Nile they have many pieces identical to Tiffany's, it offends me. lol

Oh boy...

This topic has been flogged to death on tPF, lol! And there never seems to be any true middle ground between the varying sides - one believes designer-inspired pieces are okay, another believes inspired equals counterfeit, some believe it is okay to fake it until you make it (i.e. faux is fine - a no no according to tPF rules though).

Hmm, someone even had a thread that included a report/study about how people who wear faux are generally less truthful or have less integrity than others :thinking:

A quick search may point you in the direction of some of the other more colorful discussions.

:smile:

I just read the book, "The Truth About Dishonesty" by Dan Ariely and he covers fakes in one of the chapters. It's a really interesting and well written book (all of his are) and I highly recommend it, but in a nutshell, his research found that, yes, people wearing fakes were more likely to lie/cheat. They used goods from Chloe (all authentic) and gave them to different groups--some they told were real, others they said were fake and then the control group didn't know either way. They tested all sorts of things in regards to behavior, cheating on tests etc and the results showed that the people who "knew" they were wearing fake goods cheated by a much higher margin. I'll stop before I go too far, but it was very interesting. Essentially we all lie/cheat, they were just trying to find the impact a wearing a fake item would have on a person.