$300 budget for a Tiffany silver piece

BreadnGem

Feb 25, 2012
Hi all,

My hubby is getting me a small gift, just because :love:....but as it's just after Christmas, i want to keep it small & simple, and i've decided to keep it within the budget of $300, or lower, if i can manage it :P.

I told him i want a sterling silver necklace/pendant from Tiffany. He was actually quite surprised I chose silver over gold, but I explained that with the current price of gold now (i wear mostly 18k and above due to skin sensitivity issues, but i have no problems with ss), i'd most likely only be able to get designs that are very thin & flimsy and not very well made. i had been shopping around the local jewellers & nothing has struck my fancy. On the other hand, i think i will be able to find a silver piece from Tiffany which i'll enjoy much more.

I've narrowed it down to a few choices but it still seems like a lot, and i'm hoping you ladies can give me some opinions and suggestions:

1. The rtt heart tag
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...arams=s+5-p+12-c+563629-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

2. Rtt heart padlock
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...arams=s+5-p+17-c+563629-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+
This was initially my 1st choice, but i've been told that the lock opens up by itself sometimes. Does anyone have that problem? Do you think this piece can be easily lost? I don't want to have to worry about it.

3. Rtt heart tag with key
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...5-p+1-c+288196-r+101287465-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

4. Silver box charm
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...-p+39-c+287465-r+101323338-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

As you can see, i rather like the RTT line :P, so the 1st 3 choices are quite similar. I guess i'd be happy with any of them. But i've also always liked the gift box charm too!

Are there other designs i should consider? Should i go for a 0.03 ss dbty instead? It is within my budget but i don't know if 0.03 is too small. (The store didn't have any of that in stock for me to try). I never thought it'll be so hard to decide even with such a small budget! Suggestions would be very welcomed!! :smile:

i wouldn't suggest tiffany's silver. i have a few pieces and all of them tarnish quite badly. i need to polish them constantly and tiffany doesn't do it for free. i have bought their solution from them to polish but it's a pain and in the end, i just don't bother.

just my 2 cents

i wouldn't suggest tiffany's silver. i have a few pieces and all of them tarnish quite badly. i need to polish them constantly and tiffany doesn't do it for free. i have bought their solution from them to polish but it's a pain and in the end, i just don't bother.

just my 2 cents

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you wear them often? I've noticed that my silver jewellery that I wear often do not tarnish easily (and i wear them 24/7, even in the shower & everything). Instead, it is those pieces which i do not wear that tarnish. However, i do notice that my better quality pieces hold up better than the very cheap ones. But then again, i believe it can also be a body chemistry thing sometimes :shrugs:

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you wear them often? I've noticed that my silver jewellery that I wear often do not tarnish easily (and i wear them 24/7, even in the shower & everything). Instead, it is those pieces which i do not wear that tarnish. However, i do notice that my better quality pieces hold up better than the very cheap ones. But then again, i believe it can also be a body chemistry thing sometimes :shrugs:

no, i don't wear them often. i rather spend more on getting gold, white gold, platinum pieces as they last for years! looking at my jewellery collection, it's these that last but definitely not tiffany's silver.

just my 2 cents.

BreadnGem said:
Hi all,

My hubby is getting me a small gift, just because :love:....but as it's just after Christmas, i want to keep it small & simple, and i've decided to keep it within the budget of $300, or lower, if i can manage it :P.

I told him i want a sterling silver necklace/pendant from Tiffany. He was actually quite surprised I chose silver over gold, but I explained that with the current price of gold now (i wear mostly 18k and above due to skin sensitivity issues, but i have no problems with ss), i'd most likely only be able to get designs that are very thin & flimsy and not very well made. i had been shopping around the local jewellers & nothing has struck my fancy. On the other hand, i think i will be able to find a silver piece from Tiffany which i'll enjoy much more.

I've narrowed it down to a few choices but it still seems like a lot, and i'm hoping you ladies can give me some opinions and suggestions:

1. The rtt heart tag
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP02842&mcat=148204&cid=563629&search_params=s+5-p+12-c+563629-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

2. Rtt heart padlock
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=21775428&mcat=148204&cid=563629&search_params=s+5-p+17-c+563629-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+
This was initially my 1st choice, but i've been told that the lock opens up by itself sometimes. Does anyone have that problem? Do you think this piece can be easily lost? I don't want to have to worry about it.

3. Rtt heart tag with key
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP06364&mcat=148206&cid=288196&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+288196-r+101287465-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

4. Silver box charm
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP04329&mcat=148204&cid=287465&search_params=s+5-p+39-c+287465-r+101323338-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

As you can see, i rather like the RTT line :P, so the 1st 3 choices are quite similar. I guess i'd be happy with any of them. But i've also always liked the gift box charm too!

Are there other designs i should consider? Should i go for a 0.03 ss dbty instead? It is within my budget but i don't know if 0.03 is too small. (The store didn't have any of that in stock for me to try). I never thought it'll be so hard to decide even with such a small budget! Suggestions would be very welcomed!! :smile:

Tiffany's are pretty and a charmer but I agree that they get worn out so quick. I used to live in a country that allowed me to go back to Tiffany and clean the silver as I like but it still tarnishes so much! Maybe you should consider something else that is not silver. But if u want a Tiffany in the end, I like the padlock! I had one too :0) and its pretty but do be careful cos the lock can actually open and unhook itself from the chain and get lost. That's how I lost mine

Tiffany's are pretty and a charmer but I agree that they get worn out so quick. I used to live in a country that allowed me to go back to Tiffany and clean the silver as I like but it still tarnishes so much! Maybe you should consider something else that is not silver. But if u want a Tiffany in the end, I like the padlock! I had one too :0) and its pretty but do be careful cos the lock can actually open and unhook itself from the chain and get lost. That's how I lost mine

I'm sorry u lost yours :sad:. Such a pity cos it IS a pretty piece, isnt it?

I know silver tarnishes, but i'm ok with it for this particular purchase. Anyway i can always polish it clean. I dont have many silver pieces, mostly gold, so thought this would be something different. Also, i'd rather get a silver piece i like & would wear often. ;)

BreadnGem said:
I'm sorry u lost yours :sad:. Such a pity cos it IS a pretty piece, isnt it?

I know silver tarnishes, but i'm ok with it for this particular purchase. Anyway i can always polish it clean. I dont have many silver pieces, mostly gold, so thought this would be something different. Also, i'd rather get a silver piece i like & would wear often. ;)

Hehe then u will love that!

My vote! :0)

Ya :sad: it is so pretty!! Sad I lost it :sad:

I like the little two tag RTT that was suggested. If not that then I like the heart tag pendant by itself. The one with the key seems nice in theory but I could see the key scuffing up the heart unevenly. I can deal with patina on SS but not if it's only on half of the piece. I have never had problems with Tiffany silver and tarnish. Maybe it is a skin chemistry thing or a matter of storage and climate but my pieces always stay shiny. Nice that you are getting another present so close to X mas!