Great Top Coat for Bal Corners & Piping - Zelikovitz Top Coat

hrhsunshine

Truly Addicted
O.G.
Dec 22, 2010
Hi Everyone,

**This is based on my applications. Please test on a discrete spot as all bags are different**

I have to share a great product that I have used for maintenance and touch-up of my piping and corners. I was not happy with the fading/dullness of the corners of my Bals and my new EC actually arrived with the tiniest scuffing on the corners.

For the City, I wanted something to restore the shine and beauty. For the EC, I wanted something to protect the delicate leather. Note: I've never scuffed a corner...I'm just very very careful with my bags, so I cannot tell how well this top coat will protect from scuffing.

I found this top coat Zelikovitz Acrylic Leather Sheen Top Coat in SATIN on eBay and it has worked incredibly well for me. It comes in a white 4oz bottle with a yellow label for $5.99 plus shipping. They also have their own site, which you can google. I spoke with the company and they ship internationally. Note: SATIN finish is what I used.

It is an acrylic top coat/glaze that is flexible and matches the sheen of Balenciaga glaze, so you won't see a difference in the level of shine. It looks like the original and has held up very well. I didn't notice any difference in color. Feels the same. I will touch the piping/corners and I don't really notice a difference. Note: Don't use on handles. I tried this and it didn't feel the same on handles. I think the fact that we grip handles makes the feeling different and not what most people would like. Piping and corners are different...we don't grip there, just glide your fingers, so it felt fine.

Easy to apply. I just dipped a folded up tip of a papertowel (just fold so you have a point to dip into the bottle) into the liquid and lightly applied a coat onto the area. It will darken at first b/c it is wet and then after 24 hours, it is dry and invisible. Don't apply so much that you are soaking it or have liquid just sitting on the leather. Simply apply a thin even layer.

Here are shots of my corners and piping. Please note that the level of shine is exactly the same as the body of bag. There is no difference in color. You simply cannot see where I have it and where I don't.

On the City, I applied the top coat on the ENTIRE piping on both sides of the bag. On the EC, I only dabbed a little bit on the corners to protect the very delicate leather...for some reason, my EC's leather around the corners were very thin.

I did my EC around Spring this year and the City got a second application just recently. They look great. I've had 2 applications on my City and saw no negative results from the repeated application. I allowed months to pass btw applications and the coat was thin and even.

Here is my EC. You can see the tiny scuffing around the corner. I wanted to protect that corners from further rubbing/scuffing. I applied the top coat around that whole corner area between the points of the trim leather.
6499173011_8428b13978_z.jpg

6499173227_502cf9f5f3_z.jpg

6499170491_90b78b1463_z.jpg

6499170823_20b9bffe74_z.jpg

6499171079_d193c28fd8_z.jpg

6499171451_a40f493171_z.jpg

Here is my Blue Roi City. I applied a light coat along the entire piping on both ends of the bag. The top piping where the zipper lays can get rubbing and wear so I put 2-3 light coats for extra protection. The bottom corners got 2-3 coats as well. You will see that the shine level is identical to the body of the bag. Color looks the same too.

6499171755_fbfa81f136_z.jpg

6499172333_21b19907ba_z.jpg

6499172621_2d480f0cc0_z.jpg

6499175511_df93cb645b_z.jpg

6499176683_a6a8fbf49b_z.jpg

I hope this information is helpful. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for that info sweetie! I'm always interested in finding different products that work for our bags.
This is making me miss my blue roi - those pics show just what a gorgeous colour it is!

Absolutely, girlfriend. I have been so pleased with the product that it didn't make sense to not share. I just hope everyone else has great results too. Such an easy and inexpensive way to keep our pricey bags looking fresh and a little better protected.

Awwww...I love my BR soooo darned much. She is my first Bal baby and will always stay with me. Mindblowing how soft she is...

Thanks for that info sweetie! I'm always interested in finding different products that work for our bags.
This is making me miss my blue roi - those pics show just what a gorgeous colour it is!

Hi there, I have a bag that has a spot that was cleaned (color transfer) and that spot isn't as shiny as the rest of the bag. Will this product help? It's an 08 Bal leather, thanks for your help in advance!

Hi there, I have a bag that has a spot that was cleaned (color transfer) and that spot isn't as shiny as the rest of the bag. Will this product help? It's an 08 Bal leather, thanks for your help in advance!

It should help bring back from sheen. it's a great match for the Bal shine. Just fold up a papertowel and dip it in. Let the top coat kind of soak into the papertowel for a few seconds so you don't just have a big puddle of it on your bag. You want a very light thin coat, as if you were doing nail polish coats. Allow to dry for a day. One coat should be enough.

Thanks for the info ^^

Can I use this and mix it with other product like moisturizer or water repellant? and which one should I apply first?

I've never used moisturizer or water repllant on top of the top coat. I haven't needed to do that as I used it on corners and piping. Moisturize your bag first, if it needs it. Make sure you are happy with the moisture level of your bag. Then apply the top coat.

I'm thinking about purchasing the topcoat, but has anyone tried their leather conditioner?

Today I used the Collonil Gold Premium Leather Polish on my balenciaga nacre work. It says it "contains protecting oils and other nourishing ingredients which have been refined into a delicate emulsion. It allows you to both clean and make water-repellent the most delicate and exclusive leathers." I didn't notice any difference in cleanliness, but it did bring out the sheen much better. Before my bag looked like a dirty white (bought used) and now it has a pearl-like finish. I was hoping that it would take away some of the darkened corners and/or marks on the bag, but I haven't found that yet. It does a good job moisturizing - I put several layers on with a sponge - and I found absolutely no darkening of color. It still has to remain overnight to dry, but as of right now there is a bit of tackiness still but the leather is noticeably softer. This is an inexpensive solution I found at least.

I have also used the Collonil waterspot spray in the past and had good results with it on my balenciaga (no change in color, no tackiness if sprayed correctly, etc). If you want to use it please look at the Givenchy care thread where I have described what I have done. I am going to put an acryllic coat on the corners when it is dried and possibly on spots of the bag where the sheen has been lost. I will then probably spray the bag again with the waterspot to try and get the best sheen but that remains up in the air still :smile:

Hi Everyone,

**This is based on my applications. Please test on a discrete spot as all bags are different**

I have to share a great product that I have used for maintenance and touch-up of my piping and corners. I was not happy with the fading/dullness of the corners of my Bals and my new EC actually arrived with the tiniest scuffing on the corners.

For the City, I wanted something to restore the shine and beauty. For the EC, I wanted something to protect the delicate leather. Note: I've never scuffed a corner...I'm just very very careful with my bags, so I cannot tell how well this top coat will protect from scuffing.

I found this top coat Zelikovitz Acrylic Leather Sheen Top Coat in SATIN on eBay and it has worked incredibly well for me. It comes in a white 4oz bottle with a yellow label for $5.99 plus shipping. They also have their own site, which you can google. I spoke with the company and they ship internationally. Note: SATIN finish is what I used.

It is an acrylic top coat/glaze that is flexible and matches the sheen of Balenciaga glaze, so you won't see a difference in the level of shine. It looks like the original and has held up very well. I didn't notice any difference in color. Feels the same. I will touch the piping/corners and I don't really notice a difference. Note: Don't use on handles. I tried this and it didn't feel the same on handles. I think the fact that we grip handles makes the feeling different and not what most people would like. Piping and corners are different...we don't grip there, just glide your fingers, so it felt fine.

Easy to apply. I just dipped a folded up tip of a papertowel (just fold so you have a point to dip into the bottle) into the liquid and lightly applied a coat onto the area. It will darken at first b/c it is wet and then after 24 hours, it is dry and invisible. Don't apply so much that you are soaking it or have liquid just sitting on the leather. Simply apply a thin even layer.

Here are shots of my corners and piping. Please note that the level of shine is exactly the same as the body of bag. There is no difference in color. You simply cannot see where I have it and where I don't.

On the City, I applied the top coat on the ENTIRE piping on both sides of the bag. On the EC, I only dabbed a little bit on the corners to protect the very delicate leather...for some reason, my EC's leather around the corners were very thin.

I did my EC around Spring this year and the City got a second application just recently. They look great. I've had 2 applications on my City and saw no negative results from the repeated application. I allowed months to pass btw applications and the coat was thin and even.

Here is my EC. You can see the tiny scuffing around the corner. I wanted to protect that corners from further rubbing/scuffing. I applied the top coat around that whole corner area between the points of the trim leather.
6499173011_8428b13978_z.jpg

6499173227_502cf9f5f3_z.jpg

6499170491_90b78b1463_z.jpg

6499170823_20b9bffe74_z.jpg

6499171079_d193c28fd8_z.jpg

6499171451_a40f493171_z.jpg

Here is my Blue Roi City. I applied a light coat along the entire piping on both ends of the bag. The top piping where the zipper lays can get rubbing and wear so I put 2-3 light coats for extra protection. The bottom corners got 2-3 coats as well. You will see that the shine level is identical to the body of the bag. Color looks the same too.

6499171755_fbfa81f136_z.jpg

6499172333_21b19907ba_z.jpg

6499172621_2d480f0cc0_z.jpg

6499175511_df93cb645b_z.jpg

6499176683_a6a8fbf49b_z.jpg

I hope this information is helpful. Good luck!

Thanks for this awesome post! Just did it to all my bags and it worked perfectly :woohoo:

YEA! I'm so glad you had good results. Pls post photos if you have some to share.

Don't have the before shots, but heres the after shots.

Both my wallet and my bag had deep white scruff marks especially around the edges and on the buckle part.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 1.02.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 1.02.40 AM.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,871
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 1.03.10 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 1.03.10 AM.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,880
  • wallet.jpg
    wallet.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2,871