Review Neutrogena Shine Control Pressed Powder

nc.girl

Girly Gear Head
O.G.
Dec 10, 2010
I just bought this powder about a week ago, and I love it! I was almost out of my Estee Lauder Double Matte pressed powder, and was going to repurchase it until I saw this Neutrogena powder. It was $12.xx at my Walmart, so I figured I'd give it a shot, since I know that Walmart will accept returns on beauty products if they don't work out. I'm really surprised at how well this powder works. It contains rice protein complex (rice powder?), which is apparently pretty good for controlling oil. I have super oily skin, and even my EL Double Matte powder eventually gives way to some oil breakthrough during the day on me. This powder keeps me matte a lot longer, and when some shine does break through, it's more of a dewy look as opposed to an outright oily/super shiny look. The puff that comes with this powder is kind of crappy (it's quite flimsy and I don't care for the foam-style puffs), so I'd recommend getting a replacement puff or using a brush to apply this powder. The powder looks like it has some color when you look at it, but it goes on completely invisible on my fair-ish skin. It does not really offer any coverage, so don't expect it to do anything in that department. It's mainly for setting your foundation and shine control.

The price is a bit off-putting, considering this is a drugstore makeup brand, but I've honestly found it to be worth the price. I'm glad I purchased it, and will most likely repurchase it in the future. It seems to be fairly easy to find as well; most drugstores I've been in have this product in stock. Hope this helps out some of you oily-skinned ladies like myself! :smile:

Attachments

• Neutrogena-Shine-Control-Powder.jpg
    Neutrogena-Shine-Control-Powder.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
I know neutrogena likes to use salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide for acne in a lot of their products. Do this product have those two ingredients? They really irritate my skin and make it very red and itchy. This seems like a great product- I've been looking for something for oil control and was looking at the Laura Mercier powder that i heard was good

I know neutrogena likes to use salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide for acne in a lot of their products. Do this product have those two ingredients? They really irritate my skin and make it very red and itchy. This seems like a great product- I've been looking for something for oil control and was looking at the Laura Mercier powder that i heard was good

Here are the ingredients from the Neutrogena website:
Mica, Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Myristate, Silica, Boron Nitride, Squalane, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Seed Protein, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Nylon-12, Lauroyl Lysine, Methylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Propylparaben, Silica Silylate May contain: Iron Oxides

It doesn't appear to have either of those ingredients in it. I think this is geared more toward oily skin than acne-prone skin. I'm glad it doesn't have salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide in it too; salicylic acid dries my skin out, and I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide.

Thanks for the recommendation. I, too, am at the end of my Estee lauder double matte powder and was looking for a less expensive alternative. I think I'll be purchasing this in a few days.