Travel Singapore Recs

If you like LV, you should definitely visit the one at Marina Bay Sands. http://shopping.insing.com/feature/louis-vuitton-opens-first-island-at-mbs/id-01fb3c00
Do remember to check out the infamous Orchard Road for shopping as well.

For kids, you might wanna bring them to the Night Safari, which is basically a night time zoo to see the nocturnal animals. http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/

Food wise, I would strongly suggest hawker centres such as Maxwell Food Centre to have a taste of the different variety of local food at cheap prices. They are non air-conditioned and somewhat 'market' style so dont expect great ambiences. The food courts at most shopping malls serve similar food, but they dont taste as good and are expensive. Not worth it.

The food place at the base of Singapore Flyer is not bad, and I'm saying this as a fussy local. ;)

Not sure if you have come (and gone) yet, but it's been crazy rainy these days. Shouldn't change many of your plans, but buy a cheap umbrella (not that it helps much with the similarly crazy wind) and flip-flops here for when your shoes get wet.

Have fun!

Defo recommend the night zoo..can be hot even at night tho so drink plenty of fluids.

Raffles (your little girl will like the fountains and little birds that hop about the bar area stealing peanuts....mum will love the Singapore Sling...expensive but delicious!)

While I've never been myself, Happy valley race course..tho normally at big again so might be a bit late for the wee one.

City tour as should take in the usual sights and show you where things.

Been a while since I was there so some of the photos look fantastic and would love to go back (was the first sto off on honeymoon and had the nicest passport control guy I've ever met. We had arrived from Scotland - so long flight, he said welcome to Singapore and asked what why we were there...congratulated us on our wedding and wished us a fabulous holiday and gave us a handful of boiled sweets which was lovely. Smiled the entire time and waved us goodbye).

hey .. i just wanted to tell u guys .. singapore was amazing !! i would love to go again ,,, i loved the people, food and everything ... my daughter loved it sooo much speically the night safari ...

all ur tips and suggestions helped soooo much !! thanks soooo much xox

Prepare for a whole day at Universal Studios. There are few things that your little girl can enjoy there. From my experience with my 3.5 yrs old girl... she loves Madagascar Boat Ride, Madagascar Carousel, Shreak 4D Adventure, and Treasure Hunter. We went there 3 times and she keeps going to the same things.

my daughter loved universal studios !! ... speically the Madagascar Boat Ride, Madagascar Carousel, Shreak 4D Adventure...

Glad u had a good time there. Been twice myself and would love to go back but think I'll wait till my 2 yr old is a bit older as she suffers badly from prickly heat so might find it a bit warm...Scotland on the other hand ( where we stay) it's rust you've to watch out for!

(so much rain!)

I have been researching into travelling to Singapore for the 2013 GP for part of the honeymoon.

I have been looking at Expedia, Travelbag and Travel Republic for a combined holiday along with separate airline websites and separate hotel websites, however a lot of them are not up to date yet so I can only go as far as August 2013.

All research is coming up with us spending approximately £1800 including flights and hotel (3* plus) The cheapest hotel so far is Park Hotel, Clarke Quay..

I have included the ticket price in this, along with food at a rough cost of £50 per day for the both of us.

Is this around the price we should expect to pay? Will hotel/flight prices rise once September flights/dates are published due to the GP?

It is looking like this is out of our budget, we only have £2,000 per person and we still have to go on "my holiday" so ideally I was looking at spending a maximum of £1200 per person.

This is meant to be our honeymoon so I refuse to scrimp and stay in a not very nice hotel just so it is in budget, or have to worry about if I am spending too much on food or drink. I have seen Mexico holidays all inclusive for 2 weeks for the same price I am getting for Singapore but SO does not believe me when I tell him how much Singapore will cost from my research.

What would be the best option for our budget? I do not want to go over budget, we do not have 4K to spend each, any money left over from the wedding needs to either go into our house deposit or pay off some of our debts...

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Ideally, one should purchase flight ticket 6-9 months prior to get the best price. Also, knowing the right travel agent that handle Asian market helps a lot too, since they can give you more discount than the online travel company could. I'm in US so can't help you with that, but try ask around in Chinatown maybe.

Another option is to split your stay in Malaysia & Singapore since hotels are a lot cheaper in Malaysia.
Hope that helps.

I think the reason why hotels are so much more expensive is because it is much too early. Although hotel prices will rise because of the GP, you can still expect to find good hotels at reasonable prices in the £200 range. It also depends on whether you want to stay within the race circuit or outside of it but either way, you should be able to find decent rates. Maybe also check out the websites based in Asia rather than those based in the US/UK (eg www.asiarooms.com, www. asiatravel.com)?

From my travel experience, it is too early to book flights and hotels. For some reason, the early bird doesn't catch the worm when you are looking at almost 1 year in advance. Typically in my side of the world (Asia) I only book long haul flights about 3-4 months in advance as that is when the airlines release promo tickets (unless you are redeeming tickets whereby you need to do as early as possible).

As for the hotel, Sg hotels are really expensive during the GP. Eg a friend was staying at the Fairmont for about £100-150 a night the day before F1 race. The next night, the prices for that same room went up to about £400 per night as the Fairmont is considered to be close to / in circuit area. So you probably have to consider staying outside the city centre for the time being. Park Hotel Clarke Quay looks like a nice hotel and it's in a nice chilled out area where locals like to go for drinks and games on tv on Saturdays.

For the GP itself, tickets can be expensive (in excess of £700 per ticket per day). From experience, walkabout tickets (about £90 per pax) are actually quite fun as you get to walk around the circuit and get different angles. I was near the grandstand recently and it got a bit boring.

I would suggest you mix your trip with destinations like Phuket, Ko Samui which are beautiful beaches and reasonably priced gorgeous hotels or to Bangkok, Vietnam etc. Your money goes a lot further in these places. Bali is also worthwhile but more expensive than the likes of Phuket and Ko Samui. Malaysia, you can check out beaches in Langkawi. KL being the capital will also be expensive but maybe not as bad as Singapore.

Finally, if all fails, remember that Malaysia also has its own GP at Sepang and you can travel from KL (assuming you only want to catch any GP).

Thanks for the replies.

Which airlines travel from London to Singapore? I have looked at Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Virgin and British Airways, all coming in at around £800...

Can I find anything cheaper?

Looked on asian rooms but still looking at almost £300 to stay outside of the area..