Can you dye brown leather boots black??

redskynight

Sep 10, 2012
I have a pair of brown leather boots that I never wear. I bought them about two years ago, and they were pretty expensive, but brown shoes don't really work with my clothes so they've just been sitting in my closet. I should have bought black boots in the first place, but is it possible to dye them now?

In case anyone is curious how this actually works, I dyed the boots this morning. It took longer than I'd thought it would but it worked very well. First I used deglazer to strip off the top coat, then did three coats of black dye, then put on that nice shiny top coat.

I would probably not recommend doing it yourself since it took me a couple of hours but its already cold here and these are my only fall boots so I wanted to wear them right away.

Here's a before and after shot of my boots!

Attachments

• brown boots (600x800).jpg
    brown boots (600x800).jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 11,947
  • black boots (600x800).jpg
    black boots (600x800).jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 12,573
In case anyone is curious how this actually works, I dyed the boots this morning. It took longer than I'd thought it would but it worked very well. Here's a before and after shot of my boots!

Wow, that worked well! What products and supplies did you use? I'd love to know for future projects that I'm sure I'll come up with!

Wow, that worked well! What products and supplies did you use? I'd love to know for future projects that I'm sure I'll come up with!

I used Fiebings leather deglazer first and rubbed it all over the boots with a paper towel. Then I did three coats of Fiebings black leather dye, and used these wool dabbers that came with the dye. In between coats I let them dry for 30 minutes. Then the shiny top coat is Fiebings Resolene top coat, I put that on with a paper towel as well. I bought all the stuff from Tandy leather.

If you try it make sure you wear gloves and do it outside. Its a really messy process. The dye is really runny, like water.