A "blank check" for a Birkin...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the OP has been scared off, some of the comments are likely to be quite hurtful to her.....

I have nothing to add, except to say that we had a celebration a few days ago. Rather than buy me a gift as he usually does, DH gave me a cheque (very usual for him but he knows I like to choose what I want rather than be surprised. I have returned H bags if they weren't right). The amount was substantial (more than we are talking about here). When he gave it to me, he said it was mine to do what I wanted with. He said I should cash it, and spend it on anything that made me happy on a trip (or trips) alone, with friends or with him (usually he would go with me, but he knows sometimes I prefer to shop with girlfriends).

My point is, a true gift has no conditions and should make you happy, not guilty or forcing you to sacrifice something you love.

Maybe it's hard to see this now, maybe you will with time, but keep the bag you have now and love, rather than get rid of it with no guarantee of a Birkin at the end....

I agree, this is just cruel. Maybe you should ask yourself why anyone will play these kind of ultimatum games with someone they love instead, if it's not only about the money (what you can afford at the moment) or why your husband should be in charge of your economy and control you... IMO you should make desicions like this together in a marrige if you have a mixed economy, otherwise it's up to each one of you to use his/her own money for personal things like this. I would give the whole deal/arrangement a second thought... :smile:

Hope everything works out for the best for you!

Totally agree with this comment.

I was just thinking.. get his check, and do not sell the bag, this is kind of sneaky but a way to show him that you want BOTH of them and you are going to do it.
We cannot be certain how OP's marriage is or how her DH really means, and I truly do not believe her DH was as cruel or manipulative...if anything (i could also be wrong), I feel it's just a little game between them - also judged by the smiley face by OP LOL, just like a lot of normal couples would do.

But sorry OP, can't give you any advice on the B cause I don't own one yet. But IMO, a bag is a bag, I think you can never ever stay in love forever with just one bag:graucho:, so definitely vote for getting the B

1. I think that your DH does NOT want you to get the birkin. And quite frankly, there's a level of passive-aggressiveness that's disturbing. How much would you get for the LP in trade—$1,000-$1,500, really. That's 10% of a new bag. He's counting on your sentimental attachment to that LP. By chance, did he purchase the LP for you as a gift?

2. Can you get a birkin from an H store? That's the most cost effective way to get a new one, and it is not easy to find the color, leather and hardware you want. If you go to the re-sale route, you pay a significant mark up for new, and a premium for gently used.

3. Are you (or DH) willing to pay $10K+ for a pre-loved handbag?

When I read threads like this, I truly believe that each partner in a relationship needs their own $$$ for purchases that the other spouse/SO cannot comment on. Hermes and birkins do not make sense to 99.99% of the world's population.

My advice, keep the LP. Start saving for a birkin with your own $$$. Sell other bags, accessories, jewelry etc to fund this. Research leathers, hardware and colors, then identify the best combo for you and go for it.
:goodpost:

Hello Birkin lovers! I'm in a bit of a dilemma. DH is essentially giving me a "blank check" to buy a Birkin under the condition that I relinquish my most beloved bag, a Loro Piana. His thought process is two-fold: if I truly love my LP, then how much do I really want a Birkin, and at what "price" (sentimental value) am I willing to sacrifice for it?

I've grown attached to my LP and it's quite unique (I believe that this model is no longer produced), classy and casual, functional, and extremely well-crafted -- characteristics inherent in a Birkin that can be had for a price. Being that price is not an issue, however, and that the LP costs a fraction of the price of a Birkin, DH is appealing to my emotional attachment to this bag.

I've tried to capture all the details of the bag so that the Birkin owners could offer their thoughts on why I should/shouldn't proceed with this trade, and if so, what color/leather combination should I opt for, as I would want to get one that, if at all possible, would fill the empty void: presumably one that would consequently resemble my LP. The color is a rich brown with orange undertones, and the leather is soft and squishy with a matte sheen that has been naturally tanned without an artificial surface finishing; it does not stand up on its own. It holds quite a lot (dimensions: 11.25" H x 13.25" L x 5.5" W and a 9" drop for the handles). The interior lining of the bag is extremely luxurious cotton and flax. This bag also has a lock/key set that is, aside from the insignia, identical to that of the ones designed for the Kelly/Birkin. The biggest draw for this bag are the multiple exterior pockets that allows for easy access. It's hand-stitched in Italy.

This comparison is like apples and oranges, I realize, but DH has made it clear that I can't have both. I would love to read the thoughts of the majority who will rule in favor of the Birkin, as much as the minority who will root for the underdog. :smile:

Looking forward to your comments!

I wonder why your DH can only allow one between the LP and a Birkin. Does your DH know how much a Birkin really cost? I mean it's not as if the LP is the same price range as a Birkin. Selling the LP will not scoop up that much money for a Birkin. Is there really no possibility to have both?

Anyway, with that out of the way, I think the question is this: Reading your post, I can see you really love the LP. So do you think you will love a Birkin more? Have you seen a Birkin IRL? If not, can you find a way of seeing one, e.g. from a reseller/consignment store? If still not easy, can you go to Hermes to see their leather swatch? I owned many high end designer bags before I got my first Birkin. I can still remember the first time when I saw my first Birkin, I was completely blown away by its beauty. To me all bets were off then! I loved it so much that all other bags didn't matter to me any more! Do you think you will love the birkin that much? If the answer is yes, then I would take the check and never look back! Good luck!

Please keep your LP. I think it is a beautiful bag and if you Love it you would Be unhappy to have given her Away. I have two birkins and Many other bags and some of the Many other bags I Love so much I would Never have given them away for getting One of my birkins. Then I would have stayed without a birkin.
Well, maybe this is just me. But I bought my bags because I like them and I wear them a Lot although I have my birkins!!!

I can't speak for the OP or her husband, but I can totally see this scenario playing out with my DH as a dare in a joking way, that started out as a conversation about why women want such expensive purses, why Hermes is worth what it is, etc. His point would be that if I had a less expensive bag that I really loved (and the OP does wax poetic about her LP, I'll have to check this bag out!), why am I going on and on about wanting this $10k bag (is it love or just keeping up with the Joneses). Perhaps her husband is doing this to prove the point that she needs to get a Birkin only if she truly loves it the way she loves the LP, not because it's THE bag to aspire to. Maybe others will consider that to be controlling as well, but that's a rather personal issue between her and her husband, not my business.

As for what bag to replace the brown LP bag, gold in swift or maybe a brown in evergrain. Your description of your bag sounds like a smooth soft leather, and swift seems the closest thing. And is it ever a divine feeling leather, especially if you like slouchy leathers. Or natural Barenia if you can find it.

In your post, I can clearly see that you love your LP. But it is unclear why you want or need or love a Birkin, or for that matter, any other bag?

Perhaps your DH, rightfully or not, is questioning your "motive" for wanting a Birkin? however, I don't agree with his tactic and I think it is a ****ty way to do so, IMHO.

ITA. How about trying to buy a B with some of your own funds, if you can manage it? It might take awhile but it'll be worth it.

He gave you a blank check for a Birkin? :nuts: That's wonderful! I'd love to have a husband who would buy me a Birkin.

By the way, maybe he really hates the LP and he wants to replace it at all costs! :lol:

Clearly, you love your Loro Piana. So how about you make another deal with him: either a croc/diamond Birkin or a leather Birkin and keep the LP. :biggrin:

I think before you take the H leap you should try carrying a Birkin, you may not love it, as unbelievable as that sounds, or might find it too heavy or impractical. And you need to do tonns of research to know what size, leather and colour combination you might prefer. Bear in mind you may not find the exact one you want, and you'd have to settle for another colour. If you like neutrals, you can go for gold, etoupe, or chocolate brown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.