Boston

I'll be visiting Boston for a self-made long weekend the third weekend in July. I've read through this whole thread and just thought I'd bump it to see if anyone has anything to add that might be specific to the time I'm heading over there?

Also, I haven't been to visit Boston in probably 10-15 years and I remember loving the Daily Catch in the north end. Is that still any good?

I'm hoping to catch a game at Fenway while I'm there, is there anything else in that area that I should consider going a few hours earlier to check out ahead of the game? Also, any restaurants in the area that would be good to eat at prior to the game?

I've also had someone recommend a driving day trip out of Boston to Olgonquit. How far is that by car and would you think it's worth it to go there and come back in one day (not stay overnight)?

Tavern in the Square at Kenmore Square is really good and close to Fenway Park! I haven't been to the Daily Catch so I don't know. There is also Jerry Remy's restaurant which I hear is ok, I haven't been there. There are all types of restaurants around the park now but I really like Tavern in the Square.

Mree43 said:
Tavern in the Square at Kenmore Square is really good and close to Fenway Park! I haven't been to the Daily Catch so I don't know. There is also Jerry Remy's restaurant which I hear is ok, I haven't been there. There are all types of restaurants around the park now but I really like Tavern in the Square.

Food at Jerry Remy's is awful. Just go to the top roof deck for drinks. It's really fun and avgreat atmosphere.

Hey everyone!
I'm going to be moving to Boston in a couple of weeks (and I'm kinda excited) and I was just wondering if there are any tPFers from/living in Boston?
I did a lot of the typical research one can do online and everything about the city, the areas, and everything in general but I'd love to hear any suggestions or recommendations (in anything) from people living there!
Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hey everyone!
I'm going to be moving to Boston in a couple of weeks (and I'm kinda excited) and I was just wondering if there are any tPFers from/living in Boston?
I did a lot of the typical research one can do online and everything about the city, the areas, and everything in general but I'd love to hear any suggestions or recommendations (in anything) from people living there!
Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hi Missdicaprio! I'm a boston gal! Is this your first trip to Boston? You're going to love it!

Go to "the Clink" for brunch! !It's in Beacon Hill. It's actually the restaurant in the Liberty Hotel, but it's very cool. It used to be a prison until 1990 and they made it a hotel and restaurant. The brunch is amazingly good. Make a reservation if you decide to go there! It's close to Beacon Hill so you can walk around down Charles street. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Boston Common and Boston Public Garden (right next to each other). The Common isn't that beautiful, go into the public garden! Lots of willow trees and a beautiful little lake. A sports bar on Charles Street is called the Sevens. I liek it because it was the first bar I went to when I moved to Boston ;)

One suggestion is going to Top of the Hub (it's the 52nd floor of the prudential center building) for lunch. Most people go for dinner but I prefer the view during the day time! Even if you don't eat lunch there, grab a drink at the bar at sunset. It's gorgeous & you can see the entire city. Newbury street is close by too so you can check that out.

I also suggest going to the North End. The best pastries are from Modern Pastry (not Mike's pastry which is more touristy). Any restaurant in the North End will be delicious too. Lots of Italian families who make great food!

Have a wonderful time :smile: Boston is my favorite city in the US!

The new Oak Bar at the Copley Plaza Hotel (backbay)is really fun for casual/upscale dinner.
As suggested above, Clink is a fun way to spend a meal. The architecture is amazing.
The Barney's and Saks in the back bay are great.
Sunset Grill in Allston is great for beer and bar food. It's VERY collegie but their nachos are phenomenal.
I lived in Boston for 6 years so feel free to ask me any questions. It's a very pretty city.

Hi Missdicaprio! I'm a boston gal! Is this your first trip to Boston? You're going to love it!

Go to "the Clink" for brunch! !It's in Beacon Hill. It's actually the restaurant in the Liberty Hotel, but it's very cool. It used to be a prison until 1990 and they made it a hotel and restaurant. The brunch is amazingly good. Make a reservation if you decide to go there! It's close to Beacon Hill so you can walk around down Charles street. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Boston Common and Boston Public Garden (right next to each other). The Common isn't that beautiful, go into the public garden! Lots of willow trees and a beautiful little lake. A sports bar on Charles Street is called the Sevens. I liek it because it was the first bar I went to when I moved to Boston ;)

One suggestion is going to Top of the Hub (it's the 52nd floor of the prudential center building) for lunch. Most people go for dinner but I prefer the view during the day time! Even if you don't eat lunch there, grab a drink at the bar at sunset. It's gorgeous & you can see the entire city. Newbury street is close by too so you can check that out.

I also suggest going to the North End. The best pastries are from Modern Pastry (not Mike's pastry which is more touristy). Any restaurant in the North End will be delicious too. Lots of Italian families who make great food!

Have a wonderful time :smile: Boston is my favorite city in the US!
Yes it's my first time in Boston! I'm really excited :biggrin:
Wow, honestly thank you very much for all these suggestions - I am going to check them ALL out! I'm writing everything down as we speak ;)
I'm definitely planning on going to Top of the Hub (and yes, during the day!) I hear the view is breathtaking.
Again, thanks so much and if anything else comes to mind let me know!

The new Oak Bar at the Copley Plaza Hotel (backbay)is really fun for casual/upscale dinner.
As suggested above, Clink is a fun way to spend a meal. The architecture is amazing.
The Barney's and Saks in the back bay are great.
Sunset Grill in Allston is great for beer and bar food. It's VERY collegie but their nachos are phenomenal.
I lived in Boston for 6 years so feel free to ask me any questions. It's a very pretty city.
Thank you so much! I can't wait to experience the shopping in Boston, a lot of my friends tell me it's amazing :biggrin:
Wow 6 years is a long time! I'm glad you liked it and thank you.

Also, I'll be staying at Residence Inn Boston Back Bay-Fenway for the first few weeks, so any suggestions near that area would be great ;)

Hello all. This October my MIL is having a commitment ceremony to her boyfriend so my husband and I are flying to Boston for a few days. We'll be there mid October, travelling in on a Wednesday and leaving Sunday. The ceremony is Saturday. I'm just looking for advice as far as weather and things to do. We are going to the Lizzie Borden house one day. We wanted to go to Salem but as soon as my MIL said to avoid it because it's too touristy that time of year my husband agreed (I'm not thrilled about this as he and I were both looking forward to it, so I would appreciate some honest opinions that may sway him back to wanting to go, or convince me she's right). My MIL and her BF live in Attleboro so we will be staying near there. Send any and all ideas and thoughts on Salem please!! TIA!

Reactions: uhpharm01