A "blank check" for a Birkin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

balletarts

Feb 14, 2012
Hello Birkin lovers! I'm in a bit of a dilemma. DH is essentially giving me a "blank check" to buy a Birkin under the condition that I relinquish my most beloved bag, a Loro Piana. His thought process is two-fold: if I truly love my LP, then how much do I really want a Birkin, and at what "price" (sentimental value) am I willing to sacrifice for it?

I've grown attached to my LP and it's quite unique (I believe that this model is no longer produced), classy and casual, functional, and extremely well-crafted -- characteristics inherent in a Birkin that can be had for a price. Being that price is not an issue, however, and that the LP costs a fraction of the price of a Birkin, DH is appealing to my emotional attachment to this bag.

I've tried to capture all the details of the bag so that the Birkin owners could offer their thoughts on why I should/shouldn't proceed with this trade, and if so, what color/leather combination should I opt for, as I would want to get one that, if at all possible, would fill the empty void: presumably one that would consequently resemble my LP. The color is a rich brown with orange undertones, and the leather is soft and squishy with a matte sheen that has been naturally tanned without an artificial surface finishing; it does not stand up on its own. It holds quite a lot (dimensions: 11.25" H x 13.25" L x 5.5" W and a 9" drop for the handles). The interior lining of the bag is extremely luxurious cotton and flax. This bag also has a lock/key set that is, aside from the insignia, identical to that of the ones designed for the Kelly/Birkin. The biggest draw for this bag are the multiple exterior pockets that allows for easy access. It's hand-stitched in Italy.

This comparison is like apples and oranges, I realize, but DH has made it clear that I can't have both. I would love to read the thoughts of the majority who will rule in favor of the Birkin, as much as the minority who will root for the underdog. :smile:

Looking forward to your comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I think that your DH does NOT want you to get the birkin. And quite frankly, there's a level of passive-aggressiveness that's disturbing. How much would you get for the LP in trade—$1,000-$1,500, really. That's 10% of a new bag. He's counting on your sentimental attachment to that LP. By chance, did he purchase the LP for you as a gift?

2. Can you get a birkin from an H store? That's the most cost effective way to get a new one, and it is not easy to find the color, leather and hardware you want. If you go to the re-sale route, you pay a significant mark up for new, and a premium for gently used.

3. Are you (or DH) willing to pay $10K+ for a pre-loved handbag?

When I read threads like this, I truly believe that each partner in a relationship needs their own $$$ for purchases that the other spouse/SO cannot comment on. Hermes and birkins do not make sense to 99.99% of the world's population.

My advice, keep the LP. Start saving for a birkin with your own $$$. Sell other bags, accessories, jewelry etc to fund this. Research leathers, hardware and colors, then identify the best combo for you and go for it.

In your post, I can clearly see that you love your LP. But it is unclear why you want or need or love a Birkin, or for that matter, any other bag?

Perhaps your DH, rightfully or not, is questioning your "motive" for wanting a Birkin? however, I don't agree with his tactic and I think it is a ****ty way to do so, IMHO.

I agree, this is just cruel. Maybe you should ask yourself why anyone will play these kind of ultimatum games with someone they love instead, if it's not only about the money (what you can afford at the moment) or why your husband should be in charge of your economy and control you... IMO you should make desicions like this together in a marrige if you have a mixed economy, otherwise it's up to each one of you to use his/her own money for personal things like this. I would give the whole deal/arrangement a second thought... :smile:

Hope everything works out for the best for you!

Like others, I don't understand your husband's intention. If I were you, I would take up his offering and go for a birkin. If he really understands the true cost of a birkin, he may back again and then you'll know if he is serious or not. He may talk you out of it if he finds out what a hole has has dug for himself.

Your LP bag is very pretty but is no comparison with a birkin. It is like going upgrading your BMW to a Rolls Royce. If you're prepared to dish out a lot more for a birkin, then you should venture into the H world.

Good luck with your decision.

balletarts said:
Hello Birkin lovers! I'm in a bit of a dilemma. DH is essentially giving me a "blank check" to buy a Birkin under the condition that I relinquish my most beloved bag, a Loro Piana. His thought process is two-fold: if I truly love my LP, then how much do I really want a Birkin, and at what "price" (sentimental value) am I willing to sacrifice for it?

I've grown attached to my LP and it's quite unique (I believe that this model is no longer produced), classy and casual, functional, and extremely well-crafted -- characteristics inherent in a Birkin that can be had for a price. Being that price is not an issue, however, and that the LP costs a fraction of the price of a Birkin, DH is appealing to my emotional attachment to this bag.

I've tried to capture all the details of the bag so that the Birkin owners could offer their thoughts on why I should/shouldn't proceed with this trade, and if so, what color/leather combination should I opt for, as I would want to get one that, if at all possible, would fill the empty void: presumably one that would consequently resemble my LP. The color is a rich brown with orange undertones, and the leather is soft and squishy with a matte sheen that has been naturally tanned without an artificial surface finishing; it does not stand up on its own. It holds quite a lot (dimensions: 11.25" H x 13.25" L x 5.5" W and a 9" drop for the handles). The interior lining of the bag is extremely luxurious cotton and flax. This bag also has a lock/key set that is, aside from the insignia, identical to that of the ones designed for the Kelly/Birkin. The biggest draw for this bag are the multiple exterior pockets that allows for easy access. It's hand-stitched in Italy.

This comparison is like apples and oranges, I realize, but DH has made it clear that I can't have both. I would love to read the thoughts of the majority who will rule in favor of the Birkin, as much as the minority who will root for the underdog. :smile:

Looking forward to your comments!

I would give that bag up in a second for a birkin... In fact id give up my collection other then my mk tote for a birkin. Good luck deciding.

I would go for Birkin but what is your dh's plan? He is kind off being cruel... I think a birkin is just more classy and you can pass it down to your children or beloved ones without a problem, because frankly who doesnt love a hermes? ;)

etoupebirkin said:
1. I think that your DH does NOT want you to get the birkin. And quite frankly, there's a level of passive-aggressiveness that's disturbing. How much would you get for the LP in trade—$1,000-$1,500, really. That's 10% of a new bag. He's counting on your sentimental attachment to that LP. By chance, did he purchase the LP for you as a gift?

2. Can you get a birkin from an H store? That's the most cost effective way to get a new one, and it is not easy to find the color, leather and hardware you want. If you go to the re-sale route, you pay a significant mark up for new, and a premium for gently used.

3. Are you (or DH) willing to pay $10K+ for a pre-loved handbag?

When I read threads like this, I truly believe that each partner in a relationship needs their own $$$ for purchases that the other spouse/SO cannot comment on. Hermes and birkins do not make sense to 99.99% of the world's population.

My advice, keep the LP. Start saving for a birkin with your own $$$. Sell other bags, accessories, jewelry etc to fund this. Research leathers, hardware and colors, then identify the best combo for you and go for it.

I second this!
Do not decide for a Birkin under this pressure!

I think this is brilliantly said. Agree 200%!!! Best of luck to you, balletarts!

And quite frankly, there's a level of passive-aggressiveness that's disturbing.

When I read threads like this, I truly believe that each partner in a relationship needs their own $$$ for purchases that the other spouse/SO cannot comment on.

Dear Balletarts,

At first reading, I was absolutely incensed that your husband made this the deal. I do believe he is testing you. Men do this. My father used to do it to me and I think that is why I was so instantly infuriated by this.

After I peeled myself off the ceiling and took a few deep breaths, I started giving him some slack, recognized that he is a member of the emotionally retarded half of the species. His half only believes actions and not words. I can think of a certain action or lack thereof that might get through to him....Not really suggesting this, but I would be so angry I would consider it.

But it is totally clear that you love your LP. No one should be forced to give up something they love just to prove to someone else that they are serious about wanting it. I do not think you should give up your beloved LP under these circumstances. Reread your post. DO YOU SEE THE WORD VOID???

Your questions about what would replace it suggest to me that you have not done enough research. Buying a Hermes bag is like going to graduate school in bagology. You should take at least three months researching the wealth of information here and visiting stores to have first hand experiences with the leathers and to look at the colors in the leather books.

I would not discuss this stupid bargain with him. Proceed with determination that you are going to get your Birkin without giving up your LP. Do your research with the idea that you are going to get the perfect Birkin for you and that you are not just searching for a clone for your LP.

I can feel the set of determination in my jaw as I write this. My DH would only have to take a glance and me and he would know that resistance is futile.

Feel free to pm me if you want thread suggestions to help you with your selection.

Like others here I don't understand your husband's bargain. It would make sense if your LP was a very expensive bag, (and you said it's not, at least compared to a B) and you needed to sell it to fund a birkin.

You obviously adore this bag. You think it's functional, well crafted etc. Why oh why would you get rid of it??? Your husband requiring you to get rid of it is just plain cruel.

And I won't say anything about testing you to see if the B is something you really really want…. :mad:

I think it wouldn't be a good idea to give up your LP, given how much you love it. Keep it and try to find another way to fund a B if that's a bag you really want.

PS I like your LP a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.