Show me the turquoise! :)

Sammy, those are beauties! Congrats. :smile: The ring with a buckle and stones design is totally interesting, very unusual. I agree with you about the matrix (the host rock coloration mixed in with the turq), it really adds a lot to the beauty.

About color changing over time, it definitely happens a lot with turquoise. It depends on a number of factors, including the quality and the interaction with human skin oils. The hardest turquoise, or gem grade, doesn't tend to turn color over time, but much does. Blue stone turns green, but I don't think green turns blue.

Hi ladies, thanks for posting your turquoise beauties!

For those who have had your pieces a long time, have you noticed a color change over time? Or for those pieces recently inherited, do you recall the color being different before?

It depends on what the "turquoise" is made out of, how it's has been treated, and how much it is exposed to chemicals and oils.

Turquoise is very easy to fake - two types of fakes are very hard to distinguish without damaging the stone. there is a new resin that acts just like turquoise, but burns when you set it on fire. In addition, white stones like howlite can be dyed to the turquoise color. On howlite, always look around edges to make sure the color is even

In the realm of "mostly real" is reconstituted stones (turquoise powder mixed with a resin) and color-corrected stones (with a coating over it which does wear off in time)

Like Jelly said, turquoise will absorb oils, and gradually yellow over time. It is really only a problem with beads - most cabs are backed with silver, so they never touch human skin. You just need to put hairspray and/or perfume on before you put on your jewelry.
Most beads I come across are actually fake turquoise. Especially the round beads. (I actively hunted for a strand of round turquoise beads for almost two years) When I did come across the real stones, they were often dipped in a protective coating

Kabana turquoise bracelet (2004) and Kabana eye pendant turquoise, mother of pearl and enamel (2012)

Attachments

• image-3633354472.jpg
    image-3633354472.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 712
  • image-1171127138.jpg
    image-1171127138.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 722
Thanks everyone for your insights with color change. Does anyone know if Van turquoise will also change color? On their website it says it is naturally stabilized, but not really sure what that means.

Not sure if they are real turquoise or just plastic beads in turquoise shade.

DSCF7718.JPG