Nappy, Kinky and LOVIN" IT

So I blown my hair out this morning and I am AMAZED at the amount of growth I've gotten this summer (I haven't done this since May). Wow! I thought I was using minimal heat when I flatironed my hair but maybe not.

When the temps get cooler, I typically go back to a flatiron because I hate being outside with damp hair but it's OBVIOUS it needs something more to keep the heat from damaging it.

Can anyone recommend a good heat protectant spray? In the past I've used this one by Alterna but I'm not in love with it. lol

http://www.sephora.com/bamboo-smooth-anti-breakage-thermal-protectant-spray-P300903

I'm going to give this transistion another try. I'm only 10 weeks and I'm ready to give up!
:nogood:
But on a good note, there is literally no one at my job under the age of 30 with a perm! In fact, there are very few over the age of 30 with a perm. In fact, most of my friends are natural. My mother's hair is thriving so its giving me inspiration. I love Naptural85's hair! I'm hoping I can style it like her hair.

Any tips for thick-haired ladies with moisture problems? I think using protein treatments in the past caused my hair to dry and matte so I returned to perming. I'm thinking blow-outs for the time being and I love my steam rollers. Someone here recommended them and I love them!

I'm going to give this transistion another try. I'm only 10 weeks and I'm ready to give up!
But on a good note, there is literally no one at my job under the age of 30 with a perm! In fact, there are very few over the age of 30 with a perm. In fact, most of my friends are natural. My mother's hair is thriving so its giving me inspiration. I love Naptural85's hair! I'm hoping I can style it like her hair.

Any tips for thick-haired ladies with moisture problems? I think using protein treatments in the past caused my hair to dry and matte so I returned to perming. I'm thinking blow-outs for the time being and I love my steam rollers. Someone here recommended them and I love them!

Don't give up! Deep condition, deep condition, deep condition - especially after protein treatments. I think whenever everyone started out, we all felt like you. There is that awkward stage of when you grow it out that you really do not know how to work with two textures (relaxed hair and natural hair). I never did a big chop - I just flatironed my new growth until it grew to a length I was comfortable with. I did eventually cut (maybe about 4 inches) off my relaxed hair because I think it just 'gave up' :lol:

10 weeks is a lot of new growth - have you thought about cutting off the relaxed ends and just wearing a protective style until you get more growth?

So I blown my hair out this morning and I am AMAZED at the amount of growth I've gotten this summer (I haven't done this since May). Wow! I thought I was using minimal heat when I flatironed my hair but maybe not.

When the temps get cooler, I typically go back to a flatiron because I hate being outside with damp hair but it's OBVIOUS it needs something more to keep the heat from damaging it.

Can anyone recommend a good heat protectant spray? In the past I've used this one by Alterna but I'm not in love with it. lol

http://www.sephora.com/bamboo-smooth-anti-breakage-thermal-protectant-spray-P300903

I alternate between grapeseed oil and Moroccan oil (in the brown bottle). For sprays, I use Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer: http://www.aphogee.com/Keratin_Green_Tea Res.aspx

If you have a nice sized head, I say BC your hair & enjoy your curls! Like Kansashalo said, in the beginning we didn't know much, but we have learned and one thing I would have done was cut all my relaxed hair. My hair was in a pixie cut and it would not have been a drastic change, but I have a dome head, not cute & proportionate to the rest of me and the look would have been unfortunate. Now, I wouldn't care & would just cut it. My relaxed-with-natural-new-growth-hair was not that problematic, but nevertheless it was irritating & I believe I would have had a better growing out process if I had cut it all off!

My cousin blow dried her hair & flat ironed her hair every week while transitioning & had a lot of damage. Be careful if you are going to blow out & flat iron. GL!

I need a new heat protectant spray too, mine is kind of sucky it gets the job done but it smells like dish washing detergent ugh! I have not straightened my hair since March I believe so I have no idea how long it is either. The suspense I tell ya!!

I've been rocking flexi rod curls all summer it is time for a new do y'all! distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws.com/02ac1f3ae5a711e1ac5222000a1e9dcf_7.jpg
Any suggestions? I would like to do a braid-out on my blown out hair but it never works out because for some reason my hair doesn't take shape when its dry AT ALLLLL. When it is wet though, my hairstyles come out the bomb diggity. Anyone style on dry hair and get awesome results?

Don't know what happened with my pic. Gonna try this again.....

Girl trust me it is growing I am sure it is longer than you think. When our hair is in its kinky state it is harder to see the growth I used to feel the same; I thought my hair was the same length for the longest because I was wearing my hair curly all the time then one day I got it blown out and the length simply seemed to fall out the sky. Don't be discouraged it is indeed getting longer! :flowers: