City or work?

stellab

Jun 27, 2012
I bought my first bal bag and am eagerly awaiting its arrival (a preloved city). While looking around tpf, I saw some mod shots and now I'm wondering if I shouldve gotten a work.

I like the curves of the city more, but I generally love big bags. I don't like bags that could double as luggage, but I'm not small...and I'm a bit of a packrat.

Did I make a mistake??

If you are a big bag person, a city might appear a little small for you. That being said, you will be surprised by exactly how much bbags can hold. This is going to come off as a no brainer, but the best thing you can do is just to wait and see how the city works for you when it arrives.

There's a thread about it in the Balenciaga Reference section:City vs. Work
There are also some mod pics in there.
Some people consider their height before purchasing a Work.
Shorties like myself looks odd w/ the Work.
But the Work is a great choice if you're planning to use it as an everyday bag though.
I myself, prefer the City much better because it looks chic and it's a classic.

They do look very different, but I think they look great on everyone; it just depends on your needs. I use the City as an everyday, and I use my work on occasions when I might have a bit more to carry. I tend to carry quite a bit every day, and the City works fine. But I don't carry a tablet/iPad/laptop, so that would make a difference as to what bag I used everyday.

Well it depends on your height, size, your wardrobe and the occasion as well. For taller people, I think work looks better with smart casual / sharp attire. City is more suitable for casual weekend hangouts etc. For the petite ones, city is a good size for every occasion whereas Work would look kind of overwhelming on them IMO.

thanks, everyone. i was combing through the mod pics last night and it's so hard - everyone's bag looks perfect for them. i guess that just speaks to the versatility!

i'm not very tall - 5'6" / 1.69m. i'm slim by american standards. i work in a very creative environment, so while i'm always well put together, i don't dress typically smart. for instance, today i'm wearing a black pencil skirt, a white, semi-sheer oversized t-shirt with the california flag on it, black flats with studs on them, and a gray cashmere sweater. i dress very hipster, if that makes sense. the hardest part is that i LOVE the gentle curves of the city; the work is very squared off. it looks great for some people, it's just not my taste.

i carry a separate laptop bag to work, but ideally, i'll be able to carry a tablet in my bbag for my upcoming trip to europe. my current daily bag is a rebecca minkoff cupid, which appears to be significantly smaller - so i'm hoping this will be ok.

I'm having the same dilemma. I have an opportunity to get either a RGH Black Work, a SH Black Work or a RH city. I already own a city (Canard) with GSH and a bordeaux RH Twiggy. I have been thinking that I want a bag big enough to carry my MBP, but then again, a black, RH city is classic!!! Argh...sorry to hijack the thread....

I'm having the same dilemma. I have an opportunity to get either a RGH Black Work, a SH Black Work or a RH city. I already own a city (Canard) with GSH and a bordeaux RH Twiggy. I have been thinking that I want a bag big enough to carry my MBP, but then again, a black, RH city is classic!!! Argh...sorry to hijack the thread....

I am looking into purchasing my first. RH City Classic can't fail.

Same dilemma as u n i ended up with a work!

I'm 166cm tall... So the work looks more proportional on me. It was hard to come to this decision cos the city is what made me like balenciaga in the first place and has been what i always wanted! Though somehow whenever i go to the boutique, i end up with something else - velo, now work.

For my height, work looks great with skinny jeans and dresses. Not too sure how it'd go with pencil skirts and shorts. But i like it enough to bring it home! Good luck in making your decision! :smile:

I love the Work- it's spacious without being too much like luggage. But if you're torn between a City and a Work, why not split the difference and try a Part Time? It's pretty much a combination of the two bags (length of a Work, heigh of a City), has an attached shoulder strap and is totally bada$$! :biggrin:

I'm 5'-6" and on the slim side - I've worn my Work with a pencil skirt on several occasions and I think they look great together. I think the Bal Work looks fantastic with business casual attire!

I think the Work is great with smart OR casual wear. I know I've posted about this before, but I was always put off the Work because it felt so overwhelming on me (I'm 5'4).
However - once it breaks in and becomes a squishy puddle, it's perfect. I traded up from a City and so glad I did. For me, Work is the perfect Bal.

I have both and I love them! I use them interchangeably as well.

I''m 5'4, and my works are super squishy, so they just fall under my arm. I use them for travel, for work and even going to the mall when the colour works with my outfit. I tend to use my cities more, but that's because I have more colour choice.

It's fun to mix things up :smile:

I forgot to add - I LOVE my town. Nothing beats wearing it cross body and having your hands free. It is probably the most practical bag ever :smile:

You should probably put that style on your list too! Ha.

I usually wear my work on my shoulders when I feel like being hand-free but city does have the shoulder strap (albeit a really short one); well anyways for me work is my first bal choice - proportionally and aesthetically lols and my 2nd choice would be maxi twiggy for the crossbody wear option and price-wise :smile: I am 5'7 and I tend to dress smart casual