Your Mulberry - where was it made....and is there really a difference!....

WOW! - this thread is getting more and more interesting by the day!! - and the Made in China Debacle seems to be rearing it's (not so attractive!) head.....

Whilst in a ideal world of fairytales and birds of paradise - I think what we all have to realise is this is an inevitability with the global brands, and this regrettably includes the high-end market......and as I said previously, it is somewhat of an irony that we have Chinese Mulbs -from a country that is at the same time unscrupulously a counterfeit generator.....I am finding it increasingly hard to reconcile this, and I do agree with BBB's and DP's extremely valid points...

....but aside from the obvious ethics, I am still torn as I have the most beautious darwin specimen that is poss one of my most favourite bags - and guess where it's "Made"......

I think I have to agree with littlestar - at least Mulberry aren't hiding anything - and, I know it may be a little naive on my part, but I have to feel that Mulberry's ethos does place a high importance on ethics and the welfare of their workers......

....and as MiniMabel says, alot of bags are "finished" in England anyway.......

All food for thought!!:smile:

I too cannot stomach buying made in china ! Especially spending that kind of $$ !

As I have lately posted - this is a very valid point - but I think the only answer really is to follow one's heart - and if that means avoiding all Chinese (authentic!) Mulberries then so be it. I am as staunchly anti-sweat-shop as the next person - but I sooooo love my Made in China Elgin!!!!......Sorry!.....:graucho:.

...but just another thing.....as I have also said before, word is (and this was from a Shepton employee) that it is becoming increasingly expensive to outsource......hence a positive in that we have the imminent new Mulberry factory opening in Bridgwater, Somerset - so that can only be good, can't it.......and maybe, over time, a complete return to British roots.......??.....

Does anyone know where Del Reys are made? I am thinking of buying my first Mulberry and I have my heart set on a Black Forest Del Rey, but I would definitely reconsider if they're made in China, especially for $1200...

...but just another thing.....as I have also said before, word is (and this was from a Shepton employee) that it is becoming increasingly expensive to outsource......hence a positive in that we have the imminent new Mulberry factory opening in Bridgwater, Somerset - so that can only be good, can't it.......and maybe, over time, a complete return to British roots.......??.....
Is now a good time to suggest the thread petition for bespoke at the new factory? :graucho:

At least Mulberry are honest about manufacturing in China. Plenty of high end brands only finish their bags in (say) Italy, so they can say the bag is Made In Italy.

And then of course there are the factories based in Italy staffed entirely by Chinese people, no doubt on Chinese wages too...

I fear Mulberry might be putting made in england tags in where the bag is only finished in England and substantially made elsewhere these days.... standards and quality have slipped so badly over the last few years as sales have rocketed...

Somehow I doubt it- I fear only the really expensive ones will be made in the UK and the prices will be horrendous- ditto bespoke- if they were to bring it back imagine the mark up?

Somehow I doubt it- I fear only the really expensive ones will be made in the UK and the prices will be horrendous- ditto bespoke- if they were to bring it back imagine the mark up?

Yep you are prob right as I suspect I'm looking at everything through Rose tinted specs!!!...but in an ideal world (hehe!)...:smile:

....and with regard to bespoke, yes.....prob not as expensive as atelier Hermes, but dear enough.......:graucho::tdown::nogood:

elvisfan4life said:

Rebecca Groom has told me that all the core Bayswaters - black, oak and choc - are all made in England?

Wow! - I LOVE this thread - if only that it is giving all of us a chance to air our views and vent our spleens.......

........but with apologies I still love my Chinese bag......however only in a pragmatic sense, and I really DO get, and AM with the general consensus here!......:tup: