Your Mulberry - where was it made....and is there really a difference!....

Hi Rox! Good to 'see' you too :smile:

So...
Goatskin Bayswater - Made in England

Oak Pebbled Leather Somerset Shoulder - Made in China

Black soft spongy Lily - Made in Turkey

Both the Bays and the Somerset are fabulous, I really couldn't separate them.

Being über critical, the Lily is not as good. The stitching on the corners could be a little better and the inking is ever so slightly uneven on the flap. This makes it sound awful, but you have to understand I had my magnifying glass out to see these! Lol!

On a side note I don't think I'd buy soft spongey leather again. I understand it's like a veneer of leather, so incredibly thin. I really noticed the difference when I took it out this weekend and I was a bit worried about it getting scratched easily. I hate worrying about bags, so I won't get another in this leather type

Hi hun - that's really interesting - I'm not going to point fingers at my personal Mulberry collection (for fear of offending any of it's members!) - but I, too, (if I have my specs on - which is pretty much a necessity these days!!) can notice a differing quality in the stitching between bags - nothing horrendous of course - and obviously it is horribly magnified with the glasses - but still discernable......and my Anglo/Chinese Elgin - well she is amazing and pretty much perfect......but some of the others, not completely up to scratch imo (but then I am a fussy old bugger!!).

Totally agree with regard to SS - not my bag either (hehe!) - much prefer the robust and weighty non-laminates!!!

.....but I think one of the main things coming out in this discussion is that quality is generally excellent across the board, but it really boils down to who is responsible for the final finishing....:thinking:

I think it's definitely down to the individuals and although I managed to find something to be picky about with the Lily, I actually like the fact that I can see some incredibly minor flaws! At least we know that way that they are hand stitched and not some mass produced factory line!

It's never bothered me where the bag has come from, the leather quality and finish is all that matters, but I will admit to being very thrilled to own one Made in England bag!

I think it's definitely down to the individuals and although I managed to find something to be picky about with the Lily, I actually like the fact that I can see some incredibly minor flaws! At least we know that way that they are hand stitched and not some mass produced factory line!

It's never bothered me where the bag has come from, the leather quality and finish is all that matters, but I will admit to being very thrilled to own one Made in England bag!

My sentiments entirely!!....:biggrin:

Oooh Jan - I just LOVE that bag!!!!! - but my ideal would be deep blackberry/violet printed Roxy with rose gold hardware!.....:graucho:

(oh, and with contrasting raspberry stitching and suede interior!!!!!....)

But your new alexa is lush isn't she, and as you say, the quality is pretty much consistent (as it should be)? - and I really think it does boil down to who actually finishes the bag...... and as they are handmade there will be slight differences won't there - but this makes each bag unique...

But Made In England would be the ideal, of course......

Deep printed blackberry/violet sounds fab as well i love purple and violet in a printed leather that sounds better to me actually. You have given me more ideas. Forget the oak printed as i have that already. I was looking for a purple bag oh yes along with a tooled bays.

I quite agree. My new Alexa is perfect and top quality.

Don't know the official percentage, but would think it may be quite small(?) - English bags (certainly in the pre-owned market where I tend to loiter) are like hen's teeth!!.....:smile:

I have bought bags in the last year from M.com/Fenwick/Hooper/HOF and none of them have been made in UK.

Maybe they just deal with repairs at the UK factory or do they even send them abroad?

I have bought bags in the last year from M.com/Fenwick/Hooper/HOF and none of them have been made in UK.

Maybe they just deal with repairs at the UK factory or do they even send them abroad?

Yeah - confirms my suspicions - I wish I'd had a look in the bags on display at Shepton the other day to check! - but I would probably have been given some VERY strange looks and tactfully told to leave!!!!!.....:graucho:

Am I the only person who associates "Made in China" with cheap? It may be because I am from the US and we are pretty accustomed to hearing that everything that comes out of China is cheaply made, etc. Because of this, I would be less likely to purchase a bag with a "Made in China" tag, regardless of what brand it was.

I remember reading about a lady who bought a Prada bag that had a "made in China" tag in it and she was livid. She called Prada and asked them about it and if I remember correctly, I don't think she could ever get them to admit that they had bags made in China. I can't say that I blame her though. I'd be pretty upset, too. :tdown:

Am I the only person who associates "Made in China" with cheap? It may be because I am from the US and we are pretty accustomed to hearing that everything that comes out of China is cheaply made, etc. Because of this, I would be less likely to purchase a bag with a "Made in China" tag, regardless of what brand it was.

I remember reading about a lady who bought a Prada bag that had a "made in China" tag in it and she was livid. She called Prada and asked them about it and if I remember correctly, I don't think she could ever get them to admit that they had bags made in China. I can't say that I blame her though. I'd be pretty upset, too. :tdown:
No you most certainly are not the only one!! I totally refuse to buy a Made in China bag. The love, peace pouches in pink were on my hit list this year, I found out they were made in China, even emailed Rebecca at HO to find out if there were any made elsewhere, the answer was no....refused point blank to buy. Shame really they are so lovely, but no for me it's the principle of it. Mulberry should ALL be made in England in my opinion but unfortunately in this economic situation and of course a Chinese billionaire now being a part owner this will never be....:tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

I can only imagine how much profit they make off bags that are made in China. If labor really is as inexpensive as it seems to be, they have to be making bank off these bags. Not that I really care what they're bringing in. It was just an observation/thought.

It may sound silly, but I really just prefer the look of the "Made in Turkey" and "Made in England" tags. :shrugs:

At least Mulberry are honest about manufacturing in China. Plenty of high end brands only finish their bags in (say) Italy, so they can say the bag is Made In Italy.

And then of course there are the factories based in Italy staffed entirely by Chinese people, no doubt on Chinese wages too...