Workplace Are new college grads getting more and more entitled these days??

goodmornin

yanko
O.G.
May 14, 2006
Are new college grads getting more and more entitled these days??

I just witnessed a new level of entitled-ness at my work. To give a bit of background, I work at an investment bank and middle of each year, we get our bonuses which usually make up a significant portion of our yearly compensation.

The market was down this year so most of us were hoping to get a little less than usual. When I got my number, which was below my expectations, I was a bit annoyed, but still said "thanks very much," "I appreciate it" to my boss because I know I am still making much more than many of my peers.

Right after me, two of the first year analysts that just graduated college and have barely worked here for a year, go in to get their numbers. One of them flat out said "Are you joking?" and another one was like "What is this??" I overhear from outside the boss saying "Sorry, but it was the market." The two guys come out and start crying. LITERALLY CRYING!!! These are 2 guys and they're crying in front of everyone! I go over and ask if their bonus was really that bad. By the looks of it, I thought they had gotten no bonus at all. Then they told me they actually got a little less than $50K as their bonus, but were expecting $55K.

I wanted to smack their faces! This is their first job and already most people are making less than their bonuses and they're crying about it??? They explain that they worked so hard this year and should deserve what they expected. Since the market was bad - they should have been happy they weren't laid off!

Sorry for the rant, but even though I am a few years older than these guys, I can't believe that blatant crying would be accepted anywhere at any workplace, let alone an investment bank filled with dudes, and let alone that they were crying over a 6-figure salary even though they're barely 22 years old.

:mad:

I wonder about this. The reason I haven't volunteered to mentor an intern in a while and will likely not do it again is because of bad experiences in the past. Within the past few years, I have seen interns refuse to do stuff like help with cleaning and openly complain that they can't handle their workloads (laughable to someone with just a few years' experience, IMO). They refuse extra opportunities to gain work experience, which would help them out so much in their futures. It wasn't too long ago since I was an intern myself. When I was one, I welcomed helping full-time employees with difficult clients to get the experience and volunteered to do the extra stuff. Back then, I took advantage of the opportunities, knowing that I'd get the experience and if I ended up screwing up, it'd be fine cuz I was being supervised anyway. But the interns I see lately would rather just sit back and let other people do it.

Hm, I would think the opposite! I'm currently in college now but I have friends and know many college/masters graduates who cannot find a job in their field at all. Some of the people I know have only been able to snag jobs that do not pay much at all but they are still grateful because many of their colleagues are still jobless.

It may be just the field you're in. I mean, isn't investment banking a very lucrative and demanding career? Maybe they honestly did expect to make more than they did. But over 5K from their bonus makes them sound a little ungrateful.

I remember I was working with a customer (I work at J.Crew) who was an investment banker. Looked to be in her mid to late twenties. She said it was a boring and stressful job but it allowed her to pay off her student loans quickly and allowed her to take her mother (who was a super sweet lady) on shopping trips... I made a $1000 sale off her. How someone so young could just drop that much money in hour was really surprising.

However, that's really shocking that 2 guys would cry over that AT WORK! They should be happy that they have a job and making that much money at 22 and coming straight out of college. Wow, I except them to lose a few friends over that...

Um, do they owe the mob? Because that's the only legitimate reason I can think of to cry over a $50,000 bonus, especially when it's only slightly less than they expected it to be. :rolleyes:

I actually do think current college students and new college grads have more problematic attitudes of entitlement, but I teach at a university that is known for having rich, spoiled kids, so that could explain my opinion to some degree. Helicopter parenting and more and more pressure about college also raises the expectations of the younger generation I suppose, who maybe feel like they work so hard early on to get the payoff at a young age.

Last edited:
I'm just doing a research for my dissertation on rewards and compensations, and it is true that younger employees are more money orientated than "older" ones.

Maybe they were supposed to pay a debt or something else with that money, so the lacking 5 thousand does then make a difference :hrmm: Don't know how straightforward you are there at the workplace, but I wouldn't dare to act like that in front of my boss. Makes you look very unappreciative.

That is really sad.

I also work at an investment bank and the general attitude here is shocking to me. Very arrogant and people think they are entitled to everything...

I could understand being upset if the salary was less than half of what was expected....but CRYING over $5k? Wimp...

Seriously, young people don't seem to know how to WORK for anything. They expect it to be presented to them on a silver platter... I also belong to this situation, but I can honestly say that I am GLAD that my parents didn't have much money as a kid. I know what it means to work hard.

Seriously, young people don't seem to know how to WORK for anything. They expect it to be presented to them on a silver platter... I also belong to this situation, but I can honestly say that I am GLAD that my parents didn't have much money as a kid. I know what it means to work hard.

This!! It's a totally different mindset now. I see how parents just hand their kids money whenever they want. I think kids expect it without working for it. My kids are 17 and 14 and if they have spent their money on frivolous things and have nothing for movies, etc., then they can't go. I will teach them the value of a dollar if it kills me.

IMO, most of the described behavior is common immaturity and 20-something idiocy (hence the crying). That said, the average recent graduate drawn to investment banking is likely rather different than the average recent graduate drawn to working at a nonprofit that helps low-income families, so the generational issue isn't the only explanation here.

i see A LOT of entitlement from people my age (around 30) and I find it to be incredibly ridiculous. There are people in my family that demand a certain amount of pay with little to no experience or proclaim that "in 4 years i'll be making six figures" right out of college.
Or they want to come live in my city and say they can no afford to make less than $50k when I own a house and vehicles and if it weren't for some other debt then I could easily get by with $35k or less.

then i have a friend whom after graduating with a degree in business, expected to be a manager somewhere right off the bat... get paid WAY more than what the average pay in her part of the state is and then told me "during my interview i'm going to see if i can change the hours to 9:30 - ?? so then I can sleep in. I don't want to get up that early." I'm pretty sure I said to her "good luck with that....."

Are new college grads getting more and more entitled these days??

I just witnessed a new level of entitled-ness at my work. To give a bit of background, I work at an investment bank and middle of each year, we get our bonuses which usually make up a significant portion of our yearly compensation.

The market was down this year so most of us were hoping to get a little less than usual. When I got my number, which was below my expectations, I was a bit annoyed, but still said "thanks very much," "I appreciate it" to my boss because I know I am still making much more than many of my peers.

Right after me, two of the first year analysts that just graduated college and have barely worked here for a year, go in to get their numbers. One of them flat out said "Are you joking?" and another one was like "What is this??" I overhear from outside the boss saying "Sorry, but it was the market." The two guys come out and start crying. LITERALLY CRYING!!! These are 2 guys and they're crying in front of everyone! I go over and ask if their bonus was really that bad. By the looks of it, I thought they had gotten no bonus at all. Then they told me they actually got a little less than $50K as their bonus, but were expecting $55K.

I wanted to smack their faces! This is their first job and already most people are making less than their bonuses and they're crying about it??? They explain that they worked so hard this year and should deserve what they expected. Since the market was bad - they should have been happy they weren't laid off!

Sorry for the rant, but even though I am a few years older than these guys, I can't believe that blatant crying would be accepted anywhere at any workplace, let alone an investment bank filled with dudes, and let alone that they were crying over a 6-figure salary even though they're barely 22 years old.

:mad:

Wow. Just wow.

That is crazy! No, I don't think that is normal behavior at all, but then again, maybe it is. I feel like people in general are getting lazier and more entitled every day TBH.

Last edited:
I think start ups have a similar culture. A lot of my friends have to work long hours and are practically on call every weekend, and when their companies hit it big, they feel entitled to a lot of perks. I know what they do is super stressful, but it totally disgusts me when they're complaining that the cook at their work doesn't provide enough vegetarian options or that work didn't buy enough sugar free Red Bulls.

I've also noticed that the more stressful the work, the harder they party and drink. I don't know about you, but when I'm hung over and sleep deprived, I can get pretty emotional. But to cry at work? I think that's really inappropriate.

I think this is a youth thing. I worked in finance back in the early 90's and I saw a lot of the young analysts behaving the same way. Don't worry. They will figure out what's what soon enough, especially given the current economy.

then i have a friend whom after graduating with a degree in business, expected to be a manager somewhere right off the bat... get paid WAY more than what the average pay in her part of the state is and then told me "during my interview i'm going to see if i can change the hours to 9:30 - ?? so then I can sleep in. I don't want to get up that early." I'm pretty sure I said to her "good luck with that....."

It's true that, in any field, managerial positions pay more, but younger generations don't seem to understand that in order to get one, they have to put in years into their workplace or field. Then when you do get to be a manager, you have more responsibilities to deal with, hence the higher pay. I wonder if they're so used to getting everything instantly that they don't seem to understand that there are just some things you really do have to wait for.

They were UPSET CRYING over getting ONLY $55K?! As a nurse, I will barely be making that as a new grad, and that was JUST THEIR BONUS?!