Help! Hermes Bolide or Birkin?

POODLGRL

Feb 22, 2008
Help.

I have the opportunity to buy a new Bolide from the original owner for several thousand dollars under the retail price or a used black Birkin that's supposed to be in exceptional condition for what amounts to the current retail price sales. Both have been authenticated. What would you do?

I would appreciate any and all advise.

I am going to Paris in two months.

tough decision...

you can try your luck in paris but if you really like the B then get it. although i heard that if you have a bolide your chances of getting a B or K goes up.

I would buy the black birkin. I don´t think it´s hard to find a Bolide when you go to Paris. I love the Bolide Relax, have you seen that?
I've never seriously considered it. I haven't tried it, it looks beautiful, but it seemed insubstantial in as much as it's lined in linen. It also didn't have a shoulder strap.
The birkin (used) is double the price . . .
I'm wondering if I'm buying the bolide simply to buy something . . .

The Bolide is awesome. Seriously it's a classic. Now if you love the Birkin more go for the B :smile:

and try your luck at fbg saint honoré when you visit Paris.

Sounds as if you haven't seen the pre-owned birkin that is SUPPOSEDLY in good condition. The operative word is in caps. What's the condition, the leather?

Tough choice if the birkin is in really fine condition. It puts the purses on a more level playing field as far as new bolide, used birkin. Time to make a pro/con list and ask do I intend keeping the purse you choose for the long haul? If not, the birkin will sell faster than a bolide just because it is a birkin. If you find the birkin heavy and will use it only sometimes while the bolide for reasons of color, leather, style you see yourself using more than a birkin, then add a notch on the pro for bolide.

For reselling birkin, it gets a notch in its pro column, btw.

The birkin will more than likely hold more than the bolide but the bolide is going to be a tad more under the radar than a birkin.

Last but not least, what does your heart say? Go with your gut, as they say.

Each style has merits and drawbacks and finding what works best for you is the key. (And therein lies another reason why most of us have more than one style Hermes in the closet.)

i have both and i love both for various reasons. if you don't have a B..I'd suggest you wait til your Paris trip to try to score one. nothing beats getting a new one from the store and at current retail price - tax.

it sounds like your heart is not in this bolide that's available since you're questioning yourself whether you're getting it just b/c. if it doesn't make your heart flutter, no matter how much the discount, it's not the bag for you.

good luck!

I would buy the black birkin. I don´t think it´s hard to find a Bolide when you go to Paris. I love the Bolide Relax, have you seen that?

i have both and i love both for various reasons. if you don't have a B..I'd suggest you wait til your Paris trip to try to score one. nothing beats getting a new one from the store and at current retail price - tax.

it sounds like your heart is not in this bolide that's available since you're questioning yourself whether you're getting it just b/c. if it doesn't make your heart flutter, no matter how much the discount, it's not the bag for you.

good luck!

Very smart. Thanks for your insight. This helps to sort things out.

They are such different bags. The Bolide can be hand, arm and shoulder carried. The Birkin can't be carried on the shoulder and isn't as quick to do up as a Bolide.

I think it depends what you want to use the bag for - maybe ask yourself that if you haven't already?

Don't count on there being much stock in Paris and whether or not carrying a Bolide will help you acquire another bag is debatable.

I agree you should also look at the leather/condition of each bag and factor that into your equation. I love box but won't get another bag in it because the climate can be too unpredictable to carry it without worrying about water damage, for example.

I love both bags, but they function very differently for me ... good luck with your decision (and what a fun one to make!)

If you are thinking about a certain graphite Bolide, I would say to jump on that. Very wearable bag and in light of your comments on another thread about trying to stay under the radar vis a vis your work, the Bolide is the way to go. Also TIA with Mistikat's comments regarding ease of use. There are times when the quick zip is safe and easy plus you have the shoulder strap. Just sayin'...