Do bags have a personality?

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
Okay, I know this is going to sound strange but I was talking to a gf of mind and expressing how I am debating between getting one of two different bags. I am looking at the Celine Luggage or the Bal City. I am leaning more towards the Celine b/c I like the "personality" it has. She didn't understand my point so I am hoping some of you ladies know what I mean. Here is goes.

I feel like when I look at certain bags, they have a story to tell, a personality if you will. I select bags based on that personality. If I like the visual appeal of more than one bag, I will select the one that has a personality that best matches mine. For example:

Marc Jacobs Stam- Young, ladylike, refined yet still stylish. Likes to laugh.
Bal City- This bag is casual with a slight edge. If this bag were a girl, she would be the type of girl to tell you exactly what she thinks of you. No holding back. She would also be a guy's girl...the type of girl that has a lot of guy friends.
Chanel flap-Enjoys the finer things in life. Has high expectations of herself and everyone else around her. Is very particular to details.
Celine Luggage-Loves high fashion. Always wants the newest styles of everything. Enjoys the relaxed formality of the bag.

I don't know where I come up w/ these personalities but it is just what comes to me when I see them. This is why I am leaning towards the Celine b/c I feel like that more closely matches my personality compared to what I see when I look at the Bal city. Anyone else have similar experiences w/ bag associations?

yes i think so, i think our eyes are used to shape and connotation on the shape, also with colour, we are trained to associate colour with certain mood/feeling so everything's created by human must carry the "personality"

fashion16 said:
Okay, I know this is going to sound strange but I was talking to a gf of mind and expressing how I am debating between getting one of two different bags. I am looking at the Celine Luggage or the Bal City. I am leaning more towards the Celine b/c I like the "personality" it has. She didn't understand my point so I am hoping some of you ladies know what I mean. Here is goes.

I feel like when I look at certain bags, they have a story to tell, a personality if you will. I select bags based on that personality. If I like the visual appeal of more than one bag, I will select the one that has a personality that best matches mine. For example:

Marc Jacobs Stam- Young, ladylike, refined yet still stylish. Likes to laugh.
Bal City- This bag is casual with a slight edge. If this bag were a girl, she would be the type of girl to tell you exactly what she thinks of you. No holding back. She would also be a guy's girl...the type of girl that has a lot of guy friends.
Chanel flap-Enjoys the finer things in life. Has high expectations of herself and everyone else around her. Is very particular to details.
Celine Luggage-Loves high fashion. Always wants the newest styles of everything. Enjoys the relaxed formality of the bag.

I don't know where I come up w/ these personalities but it is just what comes to me when I see them. This is why I am leaning towards the Celine b/c I feel like that more closely matches my personality compared to what I see when I look at the Bal city. Anyone else have similar experiences w/ bag associations?

Yes I believe they do! I am a Bal gal. Lol. I mostly have linea pelle right now and that is a casual chic style. Relaxed with a slight bit of edge.

OlgaMUA said:
Oh yes... Some bags say "i am quirky and fun" and some say "i am classic and serious" and others say "you can count on me when in doubt"

Oh I would live,to know about the last kind you mentioned.. Lol

My sister and i were just talking about something similar! I started a thread about it too! But we were talking about how they saw dogs look like their owner and how bags match people too!

Yes I believe they do! I am a Bal gal. Lol. I mostly have linea pelle right now and that is a casual chic style. Relaxed with a slight bit of edge.

While I agree with you on the first bags, I don't on the Luggage.

For me that bag's personality is a very classic, but very stylish woman, who doesn't wear the latest trend.

Definitely! Like cars and clothing, people have a choice and they choose what best suits their attitude and personality! Its the same with bags! A tom boy type of girl would never pick a Louis Vuitton bag for example! She would rather go for a marc jacobs Pretty Nylon 13" Messenger type of bag and wear it across her body rather than just hanging it from one shoulder! If that makes sense!

Great thread! I love my relaxed "hobo" slouchy bags, which tell others "I'm relaxed and laid back, baby" (even though I might be a neurotic mess inside!! lol)...and I love my more "serious," structured bags, which tell others "I'm sharp and I mean business." :smile:

xzumur said:
Definitely! Like cars and clothing, people have a choice and they choose what best suits their attitude and personality! Its the same with bags! A tom boy type of girl would never pick a Louis Vuitton bag for example! She would rather go for a marc jacobs Pretty Nylon 13" Messenger type of bag and wear it across her body rather than just hanging it from one shoulder! If that makes sense!

Ummm I'm mostly a tom boy and LV is one of my favorite brands. Monogram is not feminine.