Buyer Won't Remove Negative FB Left By Mistake!

GlamGirly

Smile. Laugh. Love
Jun 20, 2012
Ugh...what the heck!? I'm sooo bummed...

I sold shoes on eBay a couple of weeks ago and everything went very well. The transaction was quick and easy and there were NO problems. Well, I go on eBay today and I see that a negative has been left for me by this buyer but the details noted in the feedback are not regarding my item. She left feedback and a reply comment (it seems to make her feedback longer and more detailed) but the feedback/reply comment make reference to a designer bag and how she had to open a case with eBay and won a refund because the item she got was damaged and the seller was dishonest, etc.

After doing a little research, I realize that she accidenatlly left me this feedback by mistake because the only other item she won was a designer bag and that is the one she is talking about in her FB.

I send her a message and in a very brief and ULTRA polite manner I ask her to please check out the FB and perhaps remove it because I was the seller that actually sold her the shoes, not the bag she is making reference to. She get's back to me right away and tells me she will look into it, but then 15minutes later sends me an email that says the following (cut & paste from her otiginal message):

Hi again, okay I looked but can't find any button to remove this feedback! I don't think I can actually. I was fumming after having to deal with this seller and I JUST got refunded so I guess in my rage and frustation toward the seller I let my emotions get the best of me and I clicked away and didn't double check to see that it was in fact the wrong auction. SORRY! Honestly, I don't think people will care about one negative and if you call eBay and explain I'm sure they will be able to remove it as I can't. Sorry again for any inconvenience and I do like the shoes though!

So, I send her another ULTRA POLITE message and I tell her that the feedback can in fact be withdrawn and blah, blah, blah and she sends me the following message (cut & paste of original again):

Hi, I dont think so. I looked, honest. I'm sorry, I'm not blowing you off. It's just that this whole thing on eBay has me worn out and I can't deal with all of this right now. First a crappy bag and now mistaken feedback!? This is too much for me. For now I'm signing off eBay because I can't handle all this. I just don't have the patience or time. Really, it was an honest mistake. Sooooo sorry again and thanks for understanding.

Anyway, I am sooooooo pissed. She also dinged my stars so my ratings went down. What can I do? Have any of you had anything like this happen before? Should I even try to call eBay?

Please note, for the sake of some privacy I will not post her or my eBay IDs. I don't think she is a bad buyer, just that she won't even look into removing the feedback. I understand that she is perhaps fed up and worn out dealing with eBay but she hurt my reputation on eBay by accident! I know it's not the end of the world. I'm just bummed. Any suggestions?:sad:

Edit: They were not super high end shoes or anything like that but I would still have liked to have the correct FB for the right auction so buyers could see that I am a good seller.

Last edited:
Call EBay. She isn't allowed to mention the dispute in her FB anyways, even tho it wasn't about your item. You should be able to get it removed. Idk about the stars tho?

Hi, I don't think she can remove the feedback by herself. You are supposed to officially submit a feedback revision request through ebay (you have to search the help pages to find out how), and then she can change her feedback.

It happened to me once, when I left negative feedback. I received the item and I wanted to change my feedback, but I had to contact the seller and ask her to submit a request to me (I even had to give her instructions how to do it).

It still sucks that she isn't willing to help you out. I hope that eBay can straighten this out. Good luck!

Someone talk me off the ledge. I'm about to jump...

The lady I am speaking with isn't very proficient in English and she keeps putting me on hold and telling me that feedback must be respected because it is the "buyer's opinion". I explained that it was a mistake and that it isn't even for my auction but she keeps telling me to ask the buyer to leave the same exact feedback for the correct auction and then for her to contact them once it is done and THEN they will remove it.

**I did send the buyer the formal request to revise it but she said she couldn't handle all that right now.**

So, now the lady just told me these are my two options and that at the moment they can't remove the feedback?! What the heck else can I do? I'm on hold for a manager now...

Oh how they love that mantra of "feedback is the buyer's opinion" at eBay. Tell the supervisor that she mentioned things in the feedback that are against eBay's terms of service (TOS) and that you want it gone because of that.

How stupid is this...the manager told me the same thing! That A) The buyer should leave the same FB for the right seller and then contact them to have it removed off my FB or B) That the buyer should complete the FB revision request I sent. I told him that the buyer did not want to have to do all this and told me so and he said: "Well, you must give them the opportunity to make it right, how else will we know the feedback wasn't for you?" HOW? HOW? BECAUSE I DID NOT SELL HER A PURSE THAT WAS DAMAGED AND THEN HAVE A CLAIM FILED AGAINST ME!

So now I have to either wait to see if she will turn around and fix it or contact her again. When I inquired about her feedback being a violation of FB policy he said they will review it individually but that he could not do it instantly. What?!

UPDATE:

The guy just told me that her language does not necessarily reflect that a claim was made since she used the words "complaint initiated" instead of "claim filed". So while they CAN see in their system that a claim was filed, that's not necessarily what she was saying in the FB...seriously? Also, he will flag the feedback anyway... just for me since I seem "a little too upset" about the whole thing. WOW, thanks! :shocked:

Last edited:
Oh good grief. Semantics. "Complaint initiated" means the same thing as "claim filed" just in fancier verbiage. I would be all over that supervisor's posterior.

Call again, maybe in the morning. There is no reason, after reading her messages, they cannot remove the feedback. It was thru their messaging right?

Can you ask to speak with someone in the US? Most of the times I have called, the reps have no clue what I am talking about.

I'm sorry, GlamGirly. I imagine how frustrating this must be.

Thanks girl! It is but you know, I consider myself lucky to not YET have had any real issues on SNADBay. Just this and a few late payers but that's it. Come to think of it, if this is what it is like to try to clear up a minor issue/error, then I hope I can stay away from major problems for a little longer (knock on wood). What really gets me is the buyer just not wanting to help me out. I was getting all bitter over it but then I remebered what Buddah said, "Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die". Lol, wish me luck tomorrow!

I had a FB from my crazy buyer removed the other day and they did it right there while I was on the phone..This is BS OP..Call them back till they remove it!!