Lucky Find!

Jul 25, 2010
Hi all,

This is my first thread here in the Dior Section!

I just wanted to share with you my recent purchase, so here goes...

I've been searching online for months trying to find the perfect clutch that would be suitable for everyday and special occasions. Every since I lost out on a Selleria Fendi bag, I didn't think I would ever find one that was right for me.

After searching every online auction site I finally came across this beauty. It was the perfect size and in absolutely immaculate condition (there was slight dirt marks on the leather, but I managed to get this off with leather conditioner). Its a great size, not too big. I can fit my passport, phone and some loose money right into it with no problem.

Thanks to eminere for authenticating it for me!

Thanks for letting me share my vintage find :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 400
  • IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMAG0269.jpg
    IMAG0269.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMAG0270.jpg
    IMAG0270.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 394
  • Screen shot 2012-07-13 at 15.54.28.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-07-13 at 15.54.28.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 400
Thank you for all of your lovely comments!

I have a quick question, I'm just wondering if someone can tell me if the inside lining of vintage diors is leather? The interior of my clutch is also coated in a kind of wax, it peels off when rubbed. Can somebody please explain.

TIA :biggrin: :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 237
Thank you for all of your lovely comments!

I have a quick question, I'm just wondering if someone can tell me if the inside lining of vintage diors is leather? The interior of my clutch is also coated in a kind of wax, it peels off when rubbed. Can somebody please explain.

TIA :biggrin: :biggrin:

The lining is leather in the case of your bag (this is not the case for most vintage Dior bags), but if you feel a waxy coating that peels off when rubbed, then it means that the leather has developed a patina over time. This is perhaps due to the age of your piece, and also how it was stored in the past.

Patinas can form because the natural oils and waxes used to tan and treat the leather have migrated out of the leather over time due to heat and/or humidity. They can also form as a result of years of handling with fingers/hands where they may deposit sebaceous secretions, lotions, grease from food, etc.

The lining is leather in the case of your bag (this is not the case for most vintage Dior bags), but if you feel a waxy coating that peels off when rubbed, then it means that the leather has developed a patina over time. This is perhaps due to the age of your piece, and also how it was stored in the past.

Patinas can form because the natural oils and waxes used to tan and treat the leather have migrated out of the leather over time due to heat and/or humidity. They can also form as a result of years of handling with fingers/hands where they may deposit sebaceous secretions, lotions, grease from food, etc.

Thank you for your quick response and detailed information averagejoe! :roflmfao::biggrin:

Would you be able to tell me the date of my bag?

Thanks again

Unfortunately I don't know the date of the bag. It can be from the 70s or 80s.

Thanks gain for your knowledgable information.

If its not too much trouble, i have one last question (I promise :amuse:)

On the outer pocket, there is clear (what seems like fishing wire) wire along the outside of the pocket overlapping the normal stitching, I presume the clear wire is to attach the pocket to the bag. My LAST question is, why invisible wire, why not normal thread? Is it for strength, aesthetic purposes?

Thanks again :hugs:

Attachments

• IMAG0278.jpg
    IMAG0278.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 218
Thanks gain for your knowledgable information.

If its not too much trouble, i have one last question (I promise :amuse:)

On the outer pocket, there is clear (what seems like fishing wire) wire along the outside of the pocket overlapping the normal stitching, I presume the clear wire is to attach the pocket to the bag. My LAST question is, why invisible wire, why not normal thread? Is it for strength, aesthetic purposes?

Thanks again :hugs:

I assume that it's there to reinforce the stitching. I don't know if it was added as a result of this bag being repaired, or if it came with this, but either way, it seems to make the bag stronger. :smile: