newbie wants very first Chanel bag but!...

babyLV

Sofa King Banned
Mar 7, 2012
Hi ladies! OK after i saw my friend carrying the chanel lipstick patent bag i just had to get one! This will be my first Chanel bag; I don't own any high end brand name bags/stuff except the LV WC speedy 30....I buy stuff w my own money never ask my BF to pay/buy for me; so I was on the hunt and found a Chanel lipstick vinyl/patent bag for like $1600 and told my BF I want to buy it and he went ballistic. WTF?? I told him calm down dude I'm not asking you to buy for me etc then he went on and on asking me if another expensive bag is necessary, $1600 for a bag is ridiculous, etc etc...and i got pretty mad; anyways what do u guys think should i just get it (or any other Chanel bag pre-owned since I can't really splurge too big) and if i get another high end bag my BF probably gonna keep *****ing at me etc; or should i just not buy
i just don't understand what his problem is...i can afford another bag what's it to hiM? i fear he might "break up" with me if i buy

If you are not using his money why would you even care whether he likes it or not? It is your own money, you can spend whatever you want. If he really break up with you because of a $1600 bag and you are using your own money to buy it, i advice you to leave this control freak asap.

If you are not using his money why would you even care whether he likes it or not? It is your own money, you can spend whatever you want. If he really break up with you because of a $1600 bag and you are using your own money to buy it, i advice you to leave this control freak asap.

i told him to f***in calm down and asked what his problem is and he said what/why do i need another expensive bag for...and he keeps sayin $1600 is crazy! and he continued saying "one bag is one thing; now this is 2 bags so will this keep going on and on like this whenever u get urge???"
and then he gets off the dam topic and says if i want him to propose and spend rest of his life w me i need to value consider his concerns about $$$$
i mean wtf i don't need a ****in lecture etc and who woulda thought it would lead to all this! see what a drama queen he is soooo annoying

My husband wasn't very happy about me wanting a Chanel bag but I have bought bags over the years of us being together (About 7+ years) and most of them fall apart. I even had a problem with my Neverfull and had to get it fixed within the first year of having it. He understands that buying six affordable bags aren't going to last as long as a designer hand made bag.

babyLV said:
i told him to f***in calm down and asked what his problem is and he said what/why do i need another expensive bag for...and he keeps sayin $1600 is crazy! and he continued saying "one bag is one thing; now this is 2 bags so will this keep going on and on like this whenever u get urge???"
and then he gets off the dam topic and says if i want him to propose and spend rest of his life w me i need to value consider his concerns about $$$$
i mean wtf i don't need a ****in lecture etc and who woulda thought it would lead to all this! see what a drama queen he is soooo annoying

It sounds like he's afraid he won't be able to "afford" you down the road. Some guys are really bothered by that sort of thing.

I agree with purselov3r. If you buy it with your own earned money, he has nothing to say about it. If he's actually gonna leave you because of a bag, than you know that he probably doesn't care about you that much, sorry. I mean why would he break up with you because of a bag, he's in a relationship with you, not with the bag.

I mean, seriously? If you want him to propose? Come on, you want him to propose because he loves YOU right?! No matter what. And not because of the fact that you have control of your money and spending it the way he wants you to spend it.

As for the bag, I would probably get something more timeless for that price and as first Chanel bag. But that's just me.

First of all he is just a BF not a husband. Second this is your money and not his.

When I want my first Chanel bag my husband was kinda freak out a bit cus it was Reissue 226 and it was kinda expensive already at that time. But I insisted that I want it and I will buy with my own money (I have a job). He asked me would it be better if I spend that amount of money buying jewelry instead. I said I am not a jewelry person and I love bags. So I ended up have several Chanel bags HAHAHAHA. He is just never say a word to me anymore about my bags, now he said we should make a room for my precious bags instead.

Personally, I will just buy it if I love the bag and see what is he going to do.

I'm having the same issue. Although, my bf knows he can grumble about the price of my most recent Chanel, but that's it. He didn't buy it & I used my hard earned Xmas bonus. But he is does throw the idea around of us sharing money if/when we live together & further down the road. I have my own savings & I am trying to save for other things. However, sometimes I can't resist.

I've been married 10 years. My hubby didn't understand the concept of designer purses in the beginning, but we weren't married and I bought stuff with my money. Even after we were married, I told him I was buying it with my bonus that I worked very hard to earn. He understood I think because we had our priorities straight. We always made sure our bills were paid and saved appropriately towards our goals, but every once in a while, it was okay to splurge.

Yikes! He definitely sounds scared that you might run him into the ground. I don't see how that's possible if it's YOUR $. However, I do see the importance of financial responsibility when you marry and have kids but it sounds to me that you have it under control. So in short, do what you want but reassure him that it's a gift to yourself and he need not worry.

Last edited:
purseslov3r said:

Totally agree! I don't like guys that control how I spend my $ & kicking a big fuss out of it. Can't imagine how much worst he may become if he's ur husband.

Truth be told, you WILL buy a second Chanel, and a third, and a fourth etc lol. It's nearly impossible to just have one. Just ask the ladies (and the occasional gentlemen) here. So your bf's questioning you about the need to spend on a big-ticket item has some real concern to it. As long as you can convince him that you will be responsible with your money, I don't think he should make a big fuss. GL!

I don't understand why your bf is making a fuss, since you are buying your Chanel with your own money. I would say go for it, if you really love the bag. As other tpfers said, he is just your bf, not husband. If he break up with you because of a bag, i don't think he is worthy of your love..

I think I can relate to the guy. Up until late last year, I would have never in a million years thought I would be spending so much on a bag. And my husband was used to this. The first time I bought a Chanel, a lambskin mini, he was shocked at the price. And so was I:smile:
I'm on my 5th bag now, with the latest one having cost 3,750 euros. Once you start it's hard to stop, because you can't really go back to "normal' bags. My husband had real reason to be concerned;) Also, it's funny how guilty I felt buying my very first one, and how I didn't even skip a beat buying the 3,750 euros one.

Maybe he worries because he wanted you guys to put money together to invest in your future? I mean, maybe he think he's going to be left to handle everything financially while you use your money for gifts? It wouldn't be very fair in that case. Just my opinion!