Headband tips and tricks?

mangowife

Seriously tempted...
O.G.
Aug 8, 2006
Whenever I try to wear the "in" wide headbands, it never looks good. Maybe I'm missing something... any tips or tricks to wearing headbands (esp the scarf headbands) so that it actually looks good?

And... what do you think of the headband trend in general?

I love headbands! I haven't tried the scarf type, just the wide ones. I usually brush my hair straight back and then slide it on, maybe an inch or so from my hairline. Then I brush my hair to make sure it looks right and is not puffing out at the sides. Other than that, I am not sure if there are any tricks.

I looove wearing headbands. I wear them almost everyday. In fact, I am wearing one now. I try to only wash my hair every other day and on the second day, it tends to get greasy at the roots. To mask this, I tie it into a low ponytail and slip on a headband. The scarf ones are really fun. My best friend ties one around her head like a regular headband and then wraps the loose ends into a messy knot at the nape of her neck. It looks awesome when she does it. Celebrities like Lauren Conrad (of "The Hills") and Kristen Bell wear headbands alot and they look adorable. Here are a couple pics of Lauren with her hair in a headband for inspiration:

headband1.jpg

headband2.jpg

I love how headbands look but they give me such a headache.. and I'm not into the scarf ones. I wish I could wear them more often but I hate the feeling of them pressing on my mastoid bone.

If you have a small head, a wide headband will not look good, and neither will even a narrow one worn round the front of the forehead.

What you can do is get a narrower one that has some "embellishment" and participate in the trend, as Stacy and ******* say, with that.

And yes, I am speaking from experience. I have long wished for a bigger head. In size, I mean. ;)

I found a headband that is really comfortable. I bought it from a seller on Etsy. It is fabric (you can get all kinds of colors and patterns) and does not squeeze your head. I also have a lot from J. Crew, but they are not as comfortable.

Appearance wise, I would imagine that headbands look better on people with symmetrical faces. It seems like pulling all your hair back would highlight any asymmetry.

If you have a small head, a wide headband will not look good, and neither will even a narrow one worn round the front of the forehead.

Hm, I never thought of myself as having a small head, but perhaps this is my issue. I love this look, but I'd NEVER be able to get a wide headband to stay in my hair like this:

I don't think my head is "deep" enough to have enough room for bangs like that, plus a wide headband, KWIM?

I wear headband almost everyday because I don't like hair all over my face. I normally wear strechy black headband ( bought it from beauty salon. Most of the time I wear this black headband underneath silk headbands. It helps keeping the silk/satin headband from slipping .

I wear headband almost everyday because I don't like hair all over my face. I normally wear strechy black headband ( bought it from beauty salon. Most of the time I wear this black headband underneath silk headbands. It helps keeping the silk/satin headband from slipping .

How do you get the stretchy headband to stay put? I am 5'1" and my head is proportionate to my body, so my head is not big my any means, but whenever I tried to use the stretchy headbands, the stretch makes them pop out of the back of my head...I have tried, thicker ones, thinner ones, non slip ones!

Maybe i am headband retarded :crybaby:

I found a headband that is really comfortable. I bought it from a seller on Etsy. It is fabric (you can get all kinds of colors and patterns) and does not squeeze your head. I also have a lot from J. Crew, but they are not as comfortable.

Appearance wise, I would imagine that headbands look better on people with symmetrical faces. It seems like pulling all your hair back would highlight any asymmetry.

Katheryn, which seller did you buy from? There are many excellent sellers on that site, aren't there?;) To name four, nestlings, gracedesigns, busybaprons and joeyandaleethea:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=23140

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=52781

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=85691

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5623014