Ok so dosnt this ever put you off Chanel

This is how I see it. If it's the absolute only bag you've ever wanted you should get it. Price and luxury marketing tactics be-damned. BUT here's why I wouldn't ever spend that much on a bag. I love bags too much. I love ALL kinds of bags and I know that as much as I might love one bag, there's a good chance I will find another one I love even more next week or next month or... etc. So my reasoning is that there are plenty of more affordable and good quality bags that I love just as much or more than the crazy-priced luxury bags so I choose to get those instead. I always remind myself that as much as I love them, they're just bags. Paying thousands of dollars for them isn't going to make them anything else. So if you're paying that kind of money you really are paying for the brand/status.

Omg, I can completely relate to this! :tup:

You can do it! It just takes practice. ;)
But once you conquer yourself, it feels good. Even better than getting the thing that you thought you really, really wanted.

I just tell myself, "there will always be something else you want... maybe even something better!" That's what always keeps me from spending more than I really should.

Plus, I personally get much more of a rush out of getting something great for a great price. Seems like I "earned" it more somehow. I mean really, anyone can go out and buy something expensive. It just takes a credit card. But finding/getting a good deal... that takes a certain talent, and also leg work!:graucho:
You are so wise--well said!

My first Chanel was bought pre loved...I have since sold it but now recently bought another pre-loved. The seller allowed me to make 4 equal payments in 2 months so I am thrilled because I'm getting the bag of my dreams and I'm not going broke doing so. It's not a classic flap though....way more than I want to spend. I'd say buy pre-loved....there are some better deals than brand new-don't give up looking!
great idea; one just has to be so careful about authenticity; what sites/places can one go to assure of the real thing? I'm so happy for you getting what you love!

Here is my .02:

Chanel doesn't care whether or not we like the price increases because we are not their demographic. Their demographic doesn't save for a bag or consider it a splurge. Their target market doesn't wait for months or years on end until they can afford one bag, and then post in the forums about how they don't dare let it touch the floor for fear of dirtying the bag they're going to carry the next 10 years.

I know it's disheartening but it's true. If us little people could easily afford Chanel then it simply wouldn't be Chanel and big spenders wouldn't buy it. I'm sure between all the celebrities, socialites and the politician's wives here in DC that profits are just fine. They put about as much thought into their purchase as we do our Starbucks latte...even though I am bitter about their prices lately :smile:...
That is so true! Well said.

OP, I used to feel the same way, wanting an Hermes Birkin. The price and exclusivity (more than Chanel) actually made me upset enough to not like it anymore LOL

I knew that the price for a new Chanel is out of my reach so I settled on a pre-owned and was able to get it on eBay. However, it needed a lot of cleaning to get it to a very good condition.

The only thing that is putting me off the crazy price hikes of Chanel, LV is that it creates a kind of snobbery to those who have and a kind of desperation for those who don't. I've learned a few things since owning my Chanel flap. Especially on how people treat you when they think you have money or if they think a Chanel bag is all that you have and judge you in that way.

I think a person needs to decide if it is worth their time to pursue Chanel or settle for something within their budget (Marc Jacobs, Kate Spade, whoever makes quilted flaps) and be happy with their choice. If it is Chanel, then know that it is attainable. Sometimes it is just luck and timing. It is no doubt easier if one lowers the bar on what they want. They not only can obtain it, they can obtain more of it!
I think buying a pre-owned Chanel is a great alternative, but how do you know you're getting the real thing? I'd be afraid of buying on eBay. I'm so glad you were able to find what you were looking for!

I think buying a pre-owned Chanel is a great alternative, but how do you know you're getting the real thing? I'd be afraid of buying on eBay. I'm so glad you were able to find what you were looking for!

I'd recommend spending a lot of time doing research on the sellers. Look at their selling history, what they actually have sold, what their ratings are like, and if they've been doing it for a long time. Above all, get it authenticated at the Chanel thread when in doubt. I have been looking at Chanel bags on eBay since 1995! You get to know the Chanel details inside and out over time. Sometimes it is too good to be true, and you avoid those.

Having said all that, I sometimes wonder if my Chanel flap was really worth all my lusting over it. Obviously people see my flap and I know I'm carrying Chanel but I'm realizing while it's my holy grail bag, it really isn't making me any *happier* or *fulfilled*, know what I mean? I was at the shopping outlet the other day, another woman had a gorgeous Chanel teal flap and she looked happy. Another girl was carrying her Hermes Birkin but she had a sour look on her face LOL. I guess it's all relative. I think if these brands weren't so steeped in exclusivity, I wouldn't feel like there is something more than just a pretty bag to love. I love Chanel flaps and yet at the same time I feel modest about owning one, go figure :P

the price increase didn't really put me off, but it does make me think more before purchasing, and i've been very sensible too when it comes to buying a new bag, i prefer to find a pre-owned in a good condition with a more sensible price
there are some trustable sites like fashionphile, anns fabulous finds or yoogi closet

I'd recommend spending a lot of time doing research on the sellers. Look at their selling history, what they actually have sold, what their ratings are like, and if they've been doing it for a long time. Above all, get it authenticated at the Chanel thread when in doubt. I have been looking at Chanel bags on eBay since 1995! You get to know the Chanel details inside and out over time. Sometimes it is too good to be true, and you avoid those.

Having said all that, I sometimes wonder if my Chanel flap was really worth all my lusting over it. Obviously people see my flap and I know I'm carrying Chanel but I'm realizing while it's my holy grail bag, it really isn't making me any *happier* or *fulfilled*, know what I mean? I was at the shopping outlet the other day, another woman had a gorgeous Chanel teal flap and she looked happy. Another girl was carrying her Hermes Birkin but she had a sour look on her face LOL. I guess it's all relative. I think if these brands weren't so steeped in exclusivity, I wouldn't feel like there is something more than just a pretty bag to love. I love Chanel flaps and yet at the same time I feel modest about owning one, go figure :P

I know what you mean. Actually I really dont care if someone else knows what I carry; it would just be for me. And maybe something for me to pass to my daughter. None of my friends carry anything like this. Thank you for the useful information--very practical! And certainly food for thought :smile:

I understand how all the 'exclusivity' stuff gets old. It's pretty dumb. Sometimes the SAs can be kind of snobby and other times they are great.

Having said that, I just got into Chanel last year, and I love my bags that I've bought. I hope to have the jumbo I bought for many years and pass it down to my daughter someday.

I understand your point that Chanel keeps hiking their prices, it's gonn' insane! Although, at the same time, I understand the "exclusivity" the luxury brand wants to pull-off. I don't think you'd wanna be walking around with around 3-4 people having the same bag, would you? :smile: x

I can afford a new bag. I just choose not to. Really there hasn't been anything I HAD to have. At least new. I found I had to have a bag from the 08 Paris Moscou collection because I am Russian and it's very hard to come across. I tried my luck in a boutique but nay nobody had one anywhere. They sold out pretty quick. So I bought one from a fellow TPFer. I never had the desire for a classic flap so my first Chanel was a Cambon bowler in white with black CCs because I loved the style. It's not as white as it once was but then I don't have to baby it. By chance I found a red double flap at the consignment store I give my stuff too and the owner apologized for not calling me. I bought it instantly and gave it to Chanel to fix up. It'll be brand new in a couple months. And I used my consignment funds and a 10% off she gave me long ago to get a beyond great deal on it. So I feel much more accomplished on these 2 bags for less than the price of a new one. I would rather drop a grand in the Chanel store on a lovely necklace or earrings. The SAs at mine are so nice.

Hey everyone thanks for the response. I have finally gotten over the Chanel bag thing lol I'm putting the money towards a diamond ring :smile: chanel is pretty and I will always admire them on all the lovely ladies who have them :smile:

Zahzah said:
Hey everyone thanks for the response. I have finally gotten over the Chanel bag thing lol I'm putting the money towards a diamond ring :smile: chanel is pretty and I will always admire them on all the lovely ladies who have them :smile:

Good job that you're just gonna invest on a diamond ring! After I finally got my Chanel, I'm eyeing for a Hermes, then DH doesn't want me to invest on bags so we're just gonna upgrade our diamond ring..

I love Chanel. It's gorgeous, well made, timeless. But I will straight up say it's too damn expensive, even pre-loved! I can't bring myself to spend 2x the cost of my mortgage on one new bag. But that's just me.

Last edited: