Which do you prefer?

You know, I've changed my mind haha. I just went and looked at my watch after reading this thread, and I saw the price tag at the bottom of the box ($325) and there's really no reason that a $325 watch's gold should be chipping away after normal wear. I still like mine and I still wear it, but I probably would recommend against buying one.

hmmmm ... arh ... keywords "everyday wear", in this case, diamond settings usual will be out :smile:

By look, I prefer #2 rose gold but final decision usual make after trying on.

You know, I've changed my mind haha. I just went and looked at my watch after reading this thread, and I saw the price tag at the bottom of the box ($325) and there's really no reason that a $325 watch's gold should be chipping away after normal wear. I still like mine and I still wear it, but I probably would recommend against buying one.

But the $325 price tag clearly represents a watch that is gold plated (not solid gold) - so there is a reason why the gold would chip away. There are lots of watches on the market that are plated and will therefore fade and/or chip. The price tag of the MK watch is a bit higher because of the name and the popularity, but still within the range of plated timepieces.
The only way to avoid this is by purchasing a watch that is made of solid gold, which obviously means spending thousands of dollars instead of hundreds. You could also just avoid the gold all together and save some money by purchasing a stainless steel watch, which is a great watch for everyday wear.
I agree with you though, Cute_Classy, that a MK gold plated watch is not a wise investment as an everyday watch.

Hello! I'd like your opinion on these watches I'm considering to purchase for everyday wear. I am undecided whether I should get the rose gold or gold watch. Rose gold seems very popular but is it only a trend? Any pros/cons about rose gold?

Two different styles I'm considering. The first one is MK Lexington and the second style is MK Blair. Thanks so much!

Second from the top. Very cute. I like the rose and fluted bezel :smile:

But the $325 price tag clearly represents a watch that is gold plated (not solid gold) - so there is a reason why the gold would chip away. There are lots of watches on the market that are plated and will therefore fade and/or chip. The price tag of the MK watch is a bit higher because of the name and the popularity, but still within the range of plated timepieces.
The only way to avoid this is by purchasing a watch that is made of solid gold, which obviously means spending thousands of dollars instead of hundreds. You could also just avoid the gold all together and save some money by purchasing a stainless steel watch, which is a great watch for everyday wear.
I agree with you though, Cute_Classy, that a MK gold plated watch is not a wise investment as an everyday watch.

Yeah, that's basically what I said in my previous post. Except I've decided it would be wiser to use the $325 to buy a nice stainless steal or ceramic watch if looking for everyday use than to buy a gold plated one and watch it chip away.

Tiffany has had rose gold jewelry for a long time. Recently, they started to manufacture what they call "Rubedo" but I really don't see how it differs from their previous rose gold? I suppose that there may be some slight color variation, but it is essentially the same thing.

I think because rubedo is a mix of metals, it's cheaper than solid gold...maybe this was Tiffany's thinking?

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I have taken everyone's advice and gotten the small "Blair" watch in SS. It's beautiful! I've had watches with crystals around the face which I wore everyday with no problems. I also got the bigger "Blair" in rose gold because I was in love with the color. It will be strictly for going out! Thanks again!

I think because rubedo is a mix of metals, it's cheaper than solid gold...maybe this was Tiffany's thinking?

But rose gold is a mix of metals too. It is produced by mixing pure 24K yellow gold with various other metals. The percentage of the other metals (copper, silver, zinc, nickel) produces the different shades of gold, so again, I'm not sure what makes "Rubedo" so special (other than the fact that it must be a different mix than their traditional rose gold). I sort of wondered if Tiffany started producing it in response to the fading issues - sort of like Rolex did with it's "Everose" product?
Whatever the case may be, "Rubedo" is pretty:smile:

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I have taken everyone's advice and gotten the small "Blair" watch in SS. It's beautiful! I've had watches with crystals around the face which I wore everyday with no problems. I also got the bigger "Blair" in rose gold because I was in love with the color. It will be strictly for going out! Thanks again!

Sounds like you made a great choice. The SS will be perfect for everyday use and the rose gold really is stunning. Congrats:smile:

Perfect choices! Enjoy them :smile:

But rose gold is a mix of metals too. It is produced by mixing pure 24K yellow gold with various other metals. The percentage of the other metals (copper, silver, zinc, nickel) produces the different shades of gold, so again, I'm not sure what makes "Rubedo" so special (other than the fact that it must be a different mix than their traditional rose gold). I sort of wondered if Tiffany started producing it in response to the fading issues - sort of like Rolex did with it's "Everose" product?
Whatever the case may be, "Rubedo" is pretty:smile:

The Tiffany SAs say to care for rubedo like silver and that it can tarnish. While there's gold in it methinks it's more like rose silver than rose gold and most likely a ripoff.