Food Juices and Smoothies!

purly

resident knitting nerd
O.G.
Sep 30, 2006
So this is a thread for talking about juicing and making smoothies.

Who makes their own juices? What do you use to do it?

I've been really into these juices and smoothies made from a variety of greens like kale or spinach, mixed with fruit. They're a really healthy snack, and an easy way to get my dose of greens.

I'm tired of going to juice cafes to buy one and I'm thinking about buying myself either a juicer or a blender. Juicers make juices. Blenders make smoothies.

Ideally I'd like to blend most low fiber fruits and juice most high fiber vegetables and fruits, and then mix them.

I owned a juicer once a few years ago and I ended up giving it away because it was impossible to clean and took up space on my kitchen counter. Ideally the blender and juicer would be combined, but I can't find anything like that anywhere. I wish juicers were easier to clean.

My Mom has those time consuming to clean juicers. I love it when she whips me up a drink. We put all sorts of stuff in there from apples, oranges, pineapples, beets, celery, kale, ginger, garlic, onions, spinach, carrots, and some other green leafy things. Sometimes she gets really adventurous and they aren't as tasty, but that's when my drinking (alcohol) skills come into play and I just chug, chug, chug a lug!! Haha!!

I make smoothies in a blender. Add a bunch of fruit and some fresh juice-- Yummers!!

OK. I just found out that the Fruit and Vegetable Strainer Attachment for the kitchen aid mixer can be used to make juices. I'm going to give it a try!

A couple of my favorite smoothies!

Mango pineapple recipe:

1 cup coconut or almond milk
1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
A little water if needed throughout to get desired consistency
Big handful of raw baby spinach (optional, but can't taste it) for added health

Chocolate peanut butter banana recipe:

1 cup almond or coconut milk
Ice (optional if you want it frozen)
1 banana cut into chunks
1 heaping tablespoon peanut other or other nut butter
1 heaping teaspoon plain, unsweetened dark cocoa powder
Big handful raw baby spinach (optional)
1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)

This is my go-to smoothie:

3/4 cup water
3 ice cubes
1/4-1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1/4 cup quick oats
1 tb peanut butter

Puree in a blender. Delicious!

My breakfast smoothie

1tbsp flaxseed
1 banana
handfull frozen berries
fresh strawberries if I have them to hand
big handful fresh spinach
soy milk to liquify it

mmmm can't wait for the morning now ha

I do love smoothies!! I have been doing mostly green smoothies but made this a couple of weeks ago and have it at least once a week!!

Malted banana peanut butter smoothie *I know sounds gross! But so tasty!*

Skim milk 3/4 c
1 banana
1/2 scoop vanilla whey powder
1 1/2 teaspoon malt powder
1/2 tablespoon PB2 a peanut butter powder that is low in fat!! http://www.bellplantation.com/4-pack-pb2-powdered-peanut-butter.html
Ice.

I really like the flavor. I maybe the only one but I thought I would share!!:flowers:

OK. I just found out that the Fruit and Vegetable Strainer Attachment for the kitchen aid mixer can be used to make juices. I'm going to give it a try!

Does this work? I am thinking about getting a juicer, but would love to save counter space and just buy an attachment for my mixer instead!

Has anyone used a food processor to make smoothies?

I don't want to buy a blender solely for smoothie making, so I'd like to try with my food processor instead. I don't intend to use ice anyways, so it shouldn't matter that the food processor won't crush ice as well as a blender does. Wish me luck!