Should I upgrade? Please help!

lilmountaingirl

~i LVoe/Hate LV!~
O.G.
May 5, 2008
So i love my diamond and was not even thinking of a size upgrade but hubby found a fantastic deal on a larger diamond and is fascinated. My current diamond is a 1.30 round, GIA, IF clarity, G color, faint flourescence. The diamond my husband wants to upgrade it to is a 2.02 round, GIA, SI1 clarity, H color, medium blue flourescence. There is a small price difference to upgrade. Would you make the trade? I'm so torn! Thanks in advance for the advice!

We've seen it in person and it is amazing. BUT I honestly don't understand what is making it "appear" so pretty which is why I'm having a hard time making the switch. The proportions are a little off for what I usually prefer and I do usually prefer a higher clarity. The cut is right on the border of excellent/ very good. The diamond is 0.2 too deep and its girdle is 1.0 too thick. But it has way more fire/scintillation than my diamond which is the best of the best smack dab in the middle of the excellent cut proportions. I just don't get it. It is so confusing to me. Do I get a diamond that I feel is inferior on paper to the one I already have in all aspects (except size) because I love the way it shines or do I stick with the one that is perfect on paper? I'm terrified it won't be as pretty once it is set and I will regret switching. When I compare the loose stone to my set stone I think it is prettier. But I also remember feeling like my current diamond wasn't as pretty once it was set as it was loose. Is that possible? Ugh!

Here are two comparison pics. There is a much greater size difference in person. The setting is making mine appear larger and the loose stone is sitting in between my fingers. Which appears prettier?

Attachments

• 2012-06-20 20.11.30-1.jpg
    2012-06-20 20.11.30-1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 525
  • 2012-06-20 20.12.12-1.jpg
    2012-06-20 20.12.12-1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 523
It's not really fair since your current stone is set and the other is not. Does the jeweler have an ASET/IdealScope to look through? Any other details on the stone? I dig your present one a lot, so think verrrry hard about it. Will you be ok with that much of a clarity change?

I would stay with the stone that you own now. It looks wonderful and has a lot of good things going for it. The other stone has an inclusion with fluorescence (I'm not a big fan of fluorescence personally) and a slightly lower colour grade. I know if it was my stone, I'd forever be examining it to try and find that inclusion and then I'd be dissapointed that I traded away something that was both beautiful inside and out. The only thing that I feel you'd be gaining is a bit of carat weight which in my opinion, is not worth losing the quality for. I'd wait for something better to come along.

Good luck with your decision!

It's not really fair since your current stone is set and the other is not. Does the jeweler have an ASET/IdealScope to look through? Any other details on the stone? I dig your present one a lot, so think verrrry hard about it. Will you be ok with that much of a clarity change?

Awe, thank you, I dig it too. The stats are so bad on the 2.0. Lol. I appreciate any input you can give me. Something about that 2.0 (and not the size) is really making me love it but i can't wrap my head around it. Do you think there's a feature in the stats that's causing it? Maybe it has a cushion profile? Maybe i just love an underdog? :smile:

The loose stone:
7.91-7.96 x 5.05 mm
Depth 63.7%
Table 58%
Crown angle 36.5
Crown height 15.5%
Pav angle 41.0
Pav depth 43.5%
Star length 50%
Lower half 80%
No culet
Girdle 5.0% med to thick faceted
HCA hates it! Lol.

Mine:
6.95-6.99 x 4.34
Depth 62.3%
Table 56%
Crown angle 35
Crown height 15.5%
pav angle 41
pav depth 43%
Star length 55%
Lower half 75%
culet none
Girdle 4.0 med to slightly thick faceted.

Thank you for your opinion, Ame! It is very valued!

If you're happy with your current stone and you like the idea of perfect specs on paper, I wouldn't upgrade. You sound pretty unsure of the upgrade stone and its specs. I think both stones are gorgeous in the pic you posted, but it's hard to say how the unset stone's appearance will chance once it's set. It would be nice if that stone could be set so that you could get a better feel for it, as far as how the finished product would look.

Would your DH be willing to get you a right hand ring or maybe some diamond studs, if you decide against an upgrade?

I like both. I do like the larger size though. You don't necessarily have to have a diamond that is Internally Flawless for it to be beautiful. SI is fine as long as it is eye clean. I have seen diamonds graded SI with only a feather that you can't see with the eye. It doesn't mean it is a bad diamond. I would go with your eye, Which one do you think is prettier?

Eek. on paper...eek! lol But if your eyes LOVE it, not like, LOVE, your opinion and your feeling is what matters. Not everyone needs a perfect on paper stone. I can say that you WILL see a difference going from a 56 to a 58 table. It will return more white light at the 58 than color light like the 56. So it will be less firey, more overall bright white, if that makes sense. Your eyes might also LIKE the bigger table.

It's not set, and yours is so you can't really get a totally fair comparison as to what it will look like set or what they look like side by side. So if they'll "set it" in a temp that you can try on and see what you think with the illusion of a setting around it...see what you think.

For me personally, I would not be able to handle the paper, and I would not be able to go down that low in clarity from an IF, it would not be mind clean enough.

what a choice to make!

Personally if it was me, id stick with the G IF. I'm a perfectionist and the stone u currently have is cut better and is higher color and clarity. That appeals to me more.

As much as the size is tempting with the 2 carats. it's a big clarity dip to go from IF to SI1. Have u seen the si1 stone and inspected the inclusions closely? Mentally do you think you could handle that dip and know your ring is an si1 or do you think down the line it would bother you enough to want to upgrade the clarity?

Eek. on paper...eek! lol But if your eyes LOVE it, not like, LOVE, your opinion and your feeling is what matters. Not everyone needs a perfect on paper stone. I can say that you WILL see a difference going from a 56 to a 58 table. It will return more white light at the 58 than color light like the 56. So it will be less firey, more overall bright white, if that makes sense. Your eyes might also LIKE the bigger table.

From the stats, what can you see are the "issues" with the diamond? Is it just a little too deep and a little too large in the girdle or are there other things I'm not seeing? I'm good with the individual numbers but not as a whole package.

There are slight issues with my current diamond too. It looks a little better on paper than it is. It has a LOT of scintillation but some light loss through the middle that sometimes appears dark.

Ahhh!

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's opinions and good advice! I wasn't looking for an upgrade at all but my husband spotted this one and was like "let me see that"... If we were picking truly on looks alone, we would have bought it. But the stats are the issue. I hate that!

That's your answer right there. Don't get it. The stats are giving you hesitation, so it's not the one for you. Keep looking.

From the stats, what can you see are the "issues" with the diamond? Is it just a little too deep and a little too large in the girdle or are there other things I'm not seeing? I'm good with the individual numbers but not as a whole package.

The table is slightly bigger than is considered ideal, plus it is quite deep. The crown angle is also pretty outside of ideal as well. You kind of want to stay in the 33-35 range if you're going to have a range. But it's important that it be a complementary angle to the pavilion and that combination is just not favorable. A 41 is generally in the ideal range for pavilion, but not when paired with a 36.5 degree crown angle. It also is having a lot of weight in the middle so instead of being 8mm it's just under. A true 2ct should hit right at 8mm. So you're paying for really a 1.95ish ct, not a true 2ct.