Travel Greece! - Tips, Recommendations, Advice?

I will be travelling solo to Greece & visiting Athens, Santorini & Mykonos. Any suggestions on how to meet people (I am not staying at a hostel just hotels) to go out with & see attractions or possible go out for a drink? Many Thanks

I've never been to Greece (on the top of my list though!) but I know a lot about making friends on vacation! What I do is I go out every single night whether I'm tired or not, you have to push yourself sometimes just to see who you meet. I always do really well at bars I've made some great friends that way and usually end up hanging out with them all along my trip, going for lunch during the day, going out together at night etc I call that my "vaca crew" lol. Pretty much any young person bar or club you're sure to meet people in, just be outgoing and open :smile: I'm sure you can meet people during the day by starting up a convo etc but I've only ever had luck at night with that

Never been to Greece either, but I'm going to Paris and Rome solo in the fall. I plan on taking a few cooking classes and doing some walking tours in Paris, etc. I think you might meet people by doing activities like that or just talking to people at a museum, cafe, etc. I'm not a club type of gal, but it would be nice if I met someone to go to lunch with or do something with to break up my solo time. If not, it is okay by me too!

I'm an expert on Greece and places to travel to since I spend 3 months every summer there and been to all the islands! My brother likes to travel to the islands alone...honestly, its so easy to meet people especially at the islands you mentioned. In Santorini and Mykonos, the center has streets and sidewalks to walk through the city and just through that alone, you will see many friendly people, many people that are tourists, etc. There is a great place to meet people and from there, you can head to the bars with that person. Mykonos also has super paradise and paradise beach, which is crowded but filled with many party goers..easy to meet people there as well! It's really like a drinking and mingling thing..lol.

Santorini is extremely beautiful and romantic.. so it may look like couples during the day but at night, there's definitely people to go out with! As for Athens, I suggest you be very, very, very careful this summer. Act like you know the city very well and don't let anyone try to take advantage over buying something or taxi drivers ripping you off. The clubs and nightlife there is AMAZING .. but I have to warn you, Greeks are very..guarded. Akrotiri is a great club to go to because they have hip hop nights and a alot of americans, especially greek americans go there, so its nice to meet people. It's right on the water too so it's very pretty. Go to acropolis and the center of Athens, you'll see tons of tourists. If you have ANY questions about anything, feel free to ask. When are you going and for how long?

I've never been to Greece, but have definitely traveled abroad alone.
I've found that if you just look pleasant, and go about doing the things you want to see, you'll meet other people.
I was just in the middle of nowhere in a third world country volunteering and didn't expect to meet anyone on my day off. Just wandering around by myself, I had 6 other Americans walk up to me and invite me out to eat etc.
I've found that if you're alone just small talk, like asking another tourist a question etc. leads to more conversation and suggestions of things to do. I've never ended up feeling lonely or lost ever (even in countries recovering from civil wars...which, incidentally, I don't recommend traveling to in an attempt to save the world).
Of course, activities help.
One of my friends was alone in Europe (don't remember where exactly) and she decided to rent a bike to go for a scenic ride. The guy who owned the shop told her about 3 other Americans who were all alone who were just in there too. He had them all meet up when they got back and they ended up doing all the tourist-y things together all week.

I'm a Greek and I live in Greece, making friends here is a piece of cake , most ppl especially young ones are super friendly. Even if you ask for directions boys and girls will start asking you questions about were do you come from and will offer to show you around, will invite you for nights out etc. Everyone speaks English and ppl are very honest and decent. I have friends from all over the world I met in Santorini, and other islands, most of these friendships are long lasting and I've made an effort to meet them again and again.

IMHO the best place to meet new ppl is the beach especially the beach bar, if you chat up the bar tender you'll be his or her best friend in seconds and by the end of the day you'll make 100 new friends.

Have fun!

So family vacation to Greece is creeping up. I have done lots of research and am still unable to find what I am looking for. As with every year we go to europe I want to go purse shopping. I have seen that there are a few stand alone stores such as Prada, Mulberry etc in Athens but are there department stores comparable to Neimans, Nordstrom, Barney's and such? We will also be visiting Mykonos and Santorini. I just want to know where the best shopping is to be had. Thanx

There is a department store called Attica in Athens. You'll find many designer brands there.

Here's their website

http://www.atticadps.gr/home.php?lang=en

Greece is known for some lovely jewelry, Konstantino is a name that comes to mind. I bet you can get some lovely pieces for a great price. Esp with all the economic problems they are having over there.

I remember seeing LV and D & G boutiques when I was there.

Greece is known for some lovely jewelry, Konstantino is a name that comes to mind. I bet you can get some lovely pieces for a great price. Esp with all the economic problems they are having over there.

Bargain, bargain, bargain!

I saw some really gorgeous stuff but wasn't offered a good price. This was in summer 2010. She just wouldn't budge, she knew what cruise ship we were on. I left without.

Also betting now is the time they will be more flexible on pricing.

Have a great time!

hellloooo globetrotters! BF and I are going to Athens (4days), Mykonos (3), Santorini (3), and Istanbul(3) for 2 weeks at the end of may. :woot:

I know, I know. That's too much time in Athens, but I'll be on a 2 day tour to Meteora, leaving just 1.5 days to see the acropolis - but recommendations for food and shopping would be most helpful!

For the islands, all I got are, descriptions of beaches. but would love to hear your experience and suggestions. We would like to take it easy, enjoy the scenery and eat delicious food.

I haven't even started on Istanbul yet. I just know to go see Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and Bazaar? So, if you've been there, please chime in!

I looked on tripadvisor, but there is just so much to scour. I like a little bit of history/culture, LOVE food, and by then, could probably only afford to window shop. :sad:Tips on transportation, where to eat/shop/sitesee - and where you definitely would skip all together would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!:ty:

In Athens stayed at great Britain hotel it's a star woods property and across the street from changing of the guards and around great shopping. Went on many tours and had great time. I went to Istanbul last April went on lots of tours stayed eight days there. We stayed at w nice modern restaurants all around a great one around the corner. We read travel books and love tours. We took a six hour boat trip on bosphorous stopped by. A fishing city walk to ruins enjoy. Even went to Jewish museum. Visit the underground water reserve, really cool. Loved the spice market..wished I bought more Turkish delight and nuts. Bought ceramics and lot of eye bracelets and jewels. Felt safe and loved it. Make sure taxis use their boxes and do not inflate price.

Last edited: