I'm a jeweler for 19 yrs so feel free to ask me anything !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks LVoe!! I'm definitely not skilled enough to try making one myself, I've been trolling Etsy for a similar bracelet, but I think going to a local jeweler is the way to go. I'd love to see a pic of your bracelet (if you don't mind), it sounds lovely!!

I actually just made my own out of a broken macys gold chain and four pearls- two grey, one pink one white to make a soft look (I have a small wrist). It was so easy, (but then again I dabble in ewelry making) I wanted a soft "ballerina" palette to go with my incoming vca bracelet. That could work for you until you can get your dream tin cup bracelet. Don't buy pearls from craft stores or anything, get it from a pearl source or your local jeweler. HTH

Wow! I am so glad that I've found this thread!
Question for you... Is it a must that all diamonds be placed in a setting that has holes? And if so, is it for light purposes? And, if the settings do not has holes, does it mean that the stones are not real?

mbayliss said:
Thanks LVoe!! I'm definitely not skilled enough to try making one myself, I've been trolling Etsy for a similar bracelet, but I think going to a local jeweler is the way to go. I'd love to see a pic of your bracelet (if you don't mind), it sounds lovely!!

Sorry it's a camera phone pic, very easy to make, and it's jeweler quality pearls from my family jeweler. HTH!

Attachments

• image-2034222097.jpg
    image-2034222097.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 693
  • image-2299147464.jpg
    image-2299147464.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 695
I am so happy I found this thread. Been reading for the last hour or so.

I would like to purchase a new Cartier Roadster ladies two tone. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued and can't find any in the Cartier boutiques here in Australia. I refuse to believe there are no brand new ones anywhere in the world. NYC I think is a good place to start my search. Can you recommend any Jewellers that would be willing to correspond with me via email and are a bricks and mortar place?

Thanking you in advance :smile:

They're lovely! I also like your other bracelet :smile:
why thank you! I didn't know if mbayliss has the love bangle pictured in her inspiration pic (is it from blonde salad?) so I wrapped around a thick gold chain I have to kind of mimic it! But I was toying with the fact of adding a pendant to the chain and wrapping it around.

can i ask about gold plated jewelry? ive been eyeing the eddie borgo pyramid tennis bracelet but not sure if i want to spend $200 on a gold plated bracelet. ive heard you can prevent the gold from wearing off by spraying a clear acrylic spray (like krylon clear gloss). would you advise/against? what are some of your opinions on this? thanks in advance

I am looking for a nice blue star sapphire to custom make a ring. I live in NYC. Any suggestions on where to buy the stone? My jeweller only deals with loose diamonds and premade jewelry. He will fabricate the setting.

can i ask about gold plated jewelry? ive been eyeing the eddie borgo pyramid tennis bracelet but not sure if i want to spend $200 on a gold plated bracelet. ive heard you can prevent the gold from wearing off by spraying a clear acrylic spray (like krylon clear gloss). would you advise/against? what are some of your opinions on this? thanks in advance
don't spray anything on it! it will eventually come off faster then the gold plating will and it will look horrible!!

What are these people doing that their prongs are flattened from wear? And I hope that the wear and "flattening" is over 30 years, because if it's sooner they're either doing stuff in their ring they shouldn't be, or it was poorly manufactured. I have several platinum rings, and have abused one daily including a bathroom remodel and the prongs are still fine, not to mention a quick polish removed the "dullness" which is just a lot of scratches and is very easily rectified.

I noticed quite a bias in your post against platinum. Obviously it's not your choice for a metal, but it might be one someone else prefers. The only out of round rings I've ever seen have been gold, NOT platinum. And I have not had any issues with out of round rings except when a jeweler with no experience working with platinum tried to size it, and then soldered it with white gold, again, because they couldn't work with platinum. It's also why they tried to never sell platinum and always pushed gold and white gold claiming its stronger and better. They just don't know how to work with it.

I have a platinum setting and the bottom of the ring (that faces my palm) is really dull and scuffed so while the opinion is negative, it's correct. Our jeweler compared Platinum to bamboo - if you try to break it with your bare hands, it's very difficult if not impossible. However, you can easily dig your nail into it. It's strong because of its "fiberous" makeup however at the same time it's still soft. Hope that makes sense. I had it soldered to my white gold band and there wasn't any issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.