Are Rolexes really worth the money?

About authenticating Rolexes. I would think this would be very difficult to do by looking at an eBay picture. A jeweler I know insists on opening them up to see the movement. She also presses the crystal against her forehead as a preliminary check; a real crystal is cool to the skin, a plastic fake will be room temperature.

Anyhow, I've had a Rolex datejust for years and enjoy it. Its plain-ness allows it to be paired up nicely with other bracelets.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r194/pursecollector/rolex.jpg

I have had one for a little over 10 years and never have had a problem with it. I have had a Cartier Tank for around 4 years and have had to send it back a couple of times for repairs. I love both watches, but the Rolex was a much better purchase.

I love looking at all these pics...you all have gorgeous watches!!! Keep them coming! (I thought about starting a new thread just for pics of rolexes...but would then we might miss all the pics here?)

i have really small wrists and i tried the mens and it was hugee but the womens was itty bitty..are there inbetween sizes? like a 28mm or even like 30 mm?

Same here! The ladies Rolex is a bit too small on me, but the men's is too large. I have an intermediate size Oyster Perpetual Datejust - it's a 31mm diameter case... it's the perfect size IMHO!

I can't go without the rolex ( the 2 tone one) since I was 15, it's a present from my lovely dad, and I can go ski,swim,diving.....with it, I had also chopard,Cartier,Breguet...etc, but let me tell you the rolex one was defently the watch you dont have to take too much care of it ( and it still work very well),and I am getting the pearl master with dimond paved dial for the next :heart:,the style is so modern and pretty too

I think Rolexes are overrated. I mean, the point of a watch, primarily, is to keep time. Rolexes don't. And yeah, you can say automatics don't keep time well, but there are other brands that use more advanced movements that are much better than the antiquated movements of a Rolex. Ask any independent, reputable watch repair store, hell, ask actual divers and they'll tell you the same thing. The reason they hold their value is cause people are buying a name. Sure, when Rolexes originally came out, then were cutting edge, and for the time, very good watches, but over time, they haven't changed, yet people still keep buying them. Don't get me wrong, the craftmanship is very nice, and materials are high end, but for the money, you can buy a much better watch. Oris, IWC, Patek Philippe, Brietling (the last two being slightly higher in price), and all will have the bling factor.
To add, Russian watch making is fastly becoming a premier movement. They are producing some very ncie timepieces.

I love my rolex and have yet to experience the "not keeping time" that a lot of people reference. I just got the updated style datejust in 31 mm the end of November, I've been wearing it everyday from like 9 to 7 and it's been keeping great time....

I just got a Rolex from my sister. I never like the style of Rolex before but would say that it is a good watch.

Rolex is very popular in my country and have a high-value when you re-sell it not like Cartier that you will lose more large amount of money ( I don't know why?)

Still like other brands better especially Chanel J12 and Cartier.