Ok so dosnt this ever put you off Chanel

It does put me off as well, to tell you the truth. I was dying for a classic flap m/l, but when I found out it is actually over $4000 now, ($4,400 to be exact), I decided against taking the plunge. On top of that, of course, it was not available in the color and hardware combo I wanted, and they won't call you if they get one in or anything. They are of no help, at least at the South Coast Plaza boutique. Yes, they are beautiful, yes I secretly sometimes still want one, but I just cannot justify that much. I may buy a Celine instead now, which is slightly more reasonable for me. The only expensive bag I own is a Balenciaga city, which is dirt cheap compared to any Chanel flap these days!

Here's what bugs me.

If I'm willing to give them money for an item, in this case upwards of FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS, then I shouldn't have to go begging and pleading and searching for what I want, then to find out that they can't sell any more classics this week/month/year.

The way luxury USED to be had nothing to do with being "limited" or "exclusive." Anyone who appreciated quality and had the money could go into Moynat and order whatever trunk suited their fancy, pay for it, and recieve that item.

There was no "we only make 500 of that color" "That's only available to certain clients" "We've already sold 5 of that color this week so, choose another" or "let me call our other locations and see if there might be one somewhere else."

Luxury used to be made-to-order, anything goes manufacture and for $5000, that is what it should still be. If I want to pay $4300 for a pearly beige flap with silver hardware, I should be able to go into the Chanel store and request that item, pay for it, and receive it. I don't make a lot of money because I spend my time calling boutiques trying to find a particular bag with an SA who is willing to actually let me pay them for it.

Anything else, imo, is overpriced mass market consumer crap.

yeah and this! this is what's also bugging me. I dont live near a chanel boutique I cant order over the phone i cant order online. lol sometimes I feel chanel dont want me to have their bag lol

i really wish i could talk myself into getting one. But i just cant.

It does put me off as well, to tell you the truth. I was dying for a classic flap m/l, but when I found out it is actually over $4000 now, ($4,400 to be exact), I decided against taking the plunge. On top of that, of course, it was not available in the color and hardware combo I wanted, and they won't call you if they get one in or anything. They are of no help, at least at the South Coast Plaza boutique. Yes, they are beautiful, yes I secretly sometimes still want one, but I just cannot justify that much. I may buy a Celine instead now, which is slightly more reasonable for me. The only expensive bag I own is a Balenciaga city, which is dirt cheap compared to any Chanel flap these days!

Balenciaga City was the one I was considering getting, but decided against. I didn't even want to spend that much on a bag. (Plus I read on the Balenciaga forum that the quality on the new ones was dramatically lessened and I didn't want to get a 2nd hand one.) At least not at this point in my life, even though it's, as you say, dirt cheap compared to Chanel. :roflmfao:

Love the bag, and I still may get it some day, depending on how much they raise they're prices. :rolleyes: But that is pretty much my ceiling price for any bag.

I think Celine is a much better choice than Chanel. Seems like you'd get more bang for your buck. And it also seems to me that it would be a bag you could use more often with more outfits. But that's just my opinion...

Balenciaga City was the one I was considering getting, but decided against. I didn't even want to spend that much on a bag. (Plus I read on the Balenciaga forum that the quality on the new ones was dramatically lessened and I didn't want to get a 2nd hand one.) At least not at this point in my life, even though it's, as you say, dirt cheap compared to Chanel. :roflmfao:

Love the bag, and I still may get it some day, depending on how much they raise they're prices. :rolleyes: But that is pretty much my ceiling price for any bag.

I think Celine is a much better choice than Chanel. Seems like you'd get more bang for your buck. And it also seems to me that it would be a bag you could use more often with more outfits. But that's just my opinion...

I have really seen celine bags? what are they like?

can anyone recommend me a shoulder handbag alternative to the chanel classic flap...dont have to be quilted or chain. Just something cute that i can dress up and down.
I need to find an alternative untill i can finally pick up the courage to buy a chanel if i ever buy one that is lol.

True, although Celine has increased their prices as well, so we shall see :smile:
With Balenciaga, it is definitely hit or miss, so if you ever do purchase from them it's best to see it in person to decide on whether the leather suits your preference.
I have my own little dilemma with the color the I ended up choosing for my Bal, I don't know if I should have chosen black instead. But that is a whole other story. :-s

Great thread! Especially bc I have decided to hopefully purchase my first Chanel in France (my first trip to Paris! yay!:P)

I have wanted a Chanel for as long as I was old enough to wear a purse lol. I LOVE Louis Vuitton and Gucci (I'm Italian so Gucci is the holy grail in my family especially my Mom).

I initially wanted a Chanel Classic Flap... I love the Jumbo just not prepared to spend that kind of money (I'm 27). I then thought of buying a m/l flap for my 30th birthday in a few years. I live a very casual lifestyle... I don't even have to dress up for work (big .com company). When I go out at night/out for dinner my LV pochette, gucci flaps etc work just fine for me.

When my dbf and I decided to go to Paris I immediately said... LV time! But then I thought about it and thought why not... let's get a Chanel. My budget is around 2500-2600 so we'll see what I find. I really like the GST and I think it fits my lifestyle right now.

Classic Flap one day... when I have my dream job and worked a few more years. I kinda want something to look forward to you know? I can only imagine what the price will be in a few years.

For me Chanel is the holy grail of bags... LV is second... Gucci is third. I know they might not be the BEST or most expensive brands. But I like em!

Great thread! Especially bc I have decided to hopefully purchase my first Chanel in France (my first trip to Paris! yay!:P)

I have wanted a Chanel for as long as I was old enough to wear a purse lol. I LOVE Louis Vuitton and Gucci (I'm Italian so Gucci is the holy grail in my family especially my Mom).

I initially wanted a Chanel Classic Flap... I love the Jumbo just not prepared to spend that kind of money (I'm 27). I then thought of buying a m/l flap for my 30th birthday in a few years. I live a very casual lifestyle... I don't even have to dress up for work (big .com company). When I go out at night/out for dinner my LV pochette, gucci flaps etc work just fine for me.

When my dbf and I decided to go to Paris I immediately said... LV time! But then I thought about it and thought why not... let's get a Chanel. My budget is around 2500-2600 so we'll see what I find. I really like the GST and I think it fits my lifestyle right now.

Classic Flap one day... when I have my dream job and worked a few more years. I kinda want something to look forward to you know? I can only imagine what the price will be in a few years.

For me Chanel is the holy grail of bags... LV is second... Gucci is third. I know they might not be the BEST or most expensive brands. But I like em!

I hope you get your bag :smile:

My first Chanel was bought pre loved...I have since sold it but now recently bought another pre-loved. The seller allowed me to make 4 equal payments in 2 months so I am thrilled because I'm getting the bag of my dreams and I'm not going broke doing so. It's not a classic flap though....way more than I want to spend. I'd say buy pre-loved....there are some better deals than brand new-don't give up looking!

My first Chanel was bought pre loved...I have since sold it but now recently bought another pre-loved. The seller allowed me to make 4 equal payments in 2 months so I am thrilled because I'm getting the bag of my dreams and I'm not going broke doing so. It's not a classic flap though....way more than I want to spend. I'd say buy pre-loved....there are some better deals than brand new-don't give up looking!

where do u buy your preloved? :smile:

True, although Celine has increased their prices as well, so we shall see :smile:
With Balenciaga, it is definitely hit or miss, so if you ever do purchase from them it's best to see it in person to decide on whether the leather suits your preference.
I have my own little dilemma with the color the I ended up choosing for my Bal, I don't know if I should have chosen black instead. But that is a whole other story. :-s

That was another reason I didn't get one, wasn't in love with any of the colors available this season and to pay that much I have to be in serious love.

Black is, of course, a classic safe choice, but I'm all for choosing something eye-catching and fabulous. Life is too short to carry black bags.
Actually for years, that was all I bought, but now I can't stand to get black. I have to get something colorful. Wildly colorful if possible. :graucho: