Help! Horizontal cabas w zippers

amoxie92

O.G.
Dec 14, 2008
Hi everyone,
I've been wanting a horizontal cabas with zippers (black) for a while (I missed the bluefly sale) and I got a call today that one has finally come in. What do you think? Should I or not? What I liked about it was its "edge". What do you think? I would love to hear from other cabas owners of what you think about wear and tear. And I would love to hear what others think of the style in general. Thanks so much in advance!,:smile:

I have the vertical zippered cabas and use it as a work tote. I carry it four times a week, to and from work, and carry A LOT of stuff inside of it (I've even carried my laptop at times!). It can withstand pretty heavy use. I know there's been questions about the handles and how much weight they can withstand, and I have to say, I'm surprised at just how heavy that bag can get and theres been no wear-n-tear to the handles and they still look as good as they did the day I bought the bag! As for the body of the bag, mine is in pretty fantastic shape. There are a few minor scuffs, but that's really my fault - I place the bag on the floor next to my desk at work, and sometimes I catch myself pushing my wheeled chair back into it! But nothing major and/or anything that a little conditioner wouldn't buff away!

The nice thing about the horizontal cabas is that the handles are longer so you can carry that one on your shoulder. I wish I had that option with my vertical cabas, but even as a hand-held bag, it's held up really great!

I say you should go for it if it's something you really want and feel that you'll get a lot of use from it!

I have a horizontal zipper cabas and I love it. I've been using it pretty much daily since I got it in Paris in the middle of September, and apart from the leather softening up a bit, it still looks like it's in brand-new condition (I just treat it with a leather conditioner every 3-4 weeks). I've been concerned about the handles a bit too because I'm usually carrying a lot of things and the weight can add up, but apart from a little stretching, they're perfectly fine and probably won't be a problem (knock on wood!).

An example of the weighty objects I normally carry in my vertical cabas - a week's worth of "gossip" mags (i.e., People, US, Life & Style, etc.) and occasionally a couple of fashion monthlies (i.e., Harpers, InStyle, Vogue, etc.), a hardcover book (I never read paperbacks!), a spare pair of shoes, umbrella, accessory case w/makeup, bandaids, ibuprofen, etc., my iPad, protein bars, a pkg of wet wipes, and a TON of loose papers, notes, mail, etc (in other words, JUNK!). And while I don't carry it regularly, I sometimes add my laptop (Netbook size) to the bag as well.

As you can see, that's a lot of "stuff"! And I have the Vertical Cabas w/the shorter handles (that you can't carry on your shoulder), so I believe thie Horizontal Cabas would be able to hold just as much and tolerate the weight. The one great thing about the Gussett Cabas is that you can unzip all of a couple of the zippers to expand the inside of the bag and give you more carrying room!

The one great thing about the Gussett Cabas is that you can unzip all of a couple of the zippers to expand the inside of the bag and give you more carrying room!

I carry a whole heap of things too, but the horizontal cabas is ENORMOUS. I've always carried large bags because that's what I find practical (I'm always carrying various books, a cardigan or jacket, an umbrella, etc) but even with all my stuff I've never managed to fill my horizontal cabas more than half way, and that's with it zipped up. I can't imagine what I'd have to carry in it in order to need to unzip it to expand it. I could probably move house using just my cabas. :P

I've just gotten a vertical clasp cabas and love it to bits because it's lighter than my smooth mini and somehow easier to look for my bits and pieces because of the smaller base. It's calf skin which I believe the zip ones are too and they are tougher than lamb. If you're looking for an everyday large bag then go for it!