Shellac/OPI Gel Nail Polish

toobabyish

Jan 12, 2008
I am in love. I went to get a mani/pedi with a girlfriend a couple of months ago, and the nail technician introduced me to Shellac nail polish. It takes up to two weeks without chipping, and also stays shiny. It also dries quickly until UV light. Two months ago, the new OPI Gel nail polishes came out, which pretty much do the same thing, but it tries even faster! Plus there are actual OPI nail polishes that match if you want to have an exact matching pedicure. I only get Shellac/OPI Gel as a manicure, because my hands are more exposed than my toes. :smile: Although it's $20 more added onto the manicure, it's worth it rather than having my nails chip after 2-3 days using regular nail polish!

Glad you're liking it! I started out with Shellac, and I loved it. But I quickly grew tired of their small color collection, so my nail tech introduced me to the Gelish products. They're great too...they last just as long, stay just as shiny as Shellac, and there's a much wider array of colors to choose from. I have also tried the OPI GelColor line, and I really like them too. I think the gel polishes are the best beauty invention in a long time; the wear is unbeatable. I love being able to have a gorgeous manicure that doesn't ever chip!

If you ever visit the nail care forum on here, there are lots of threads on the gel polishes with tons of pictures and helpful information. Many of the ladies are doing the gel polishes at home with excellent results.

^No problem! The biggest investment is the UV or LED lamp. The polishes aren't really that costly to buy, but they can become a bit of an addiction just like regular nail polish lol.

Gel manis are awesome! Glad you like them. If you're going to try DIY at home, be sure to get the polishes that use the UV light; I tried Nutra Nail's polish that came with an activator and it ended up chipping after a day and it took forever to come off...

omg I just got the shellac done on saturday and I am in love, I honestly don't think I will go back to regular manicure after this.
I do hope they get a more variety of different colors though.

I am in love. I went to get a mani/pedi with a girlfriend a couple of months ago, and the nail technician introduced me to Shellac nail polish. It takes up to two weeks without chipping, and also stays shiny. It also dries quickly until UV light. Two months ago, the new OPI Gel nail polishes came out, which pretty much do the same thing, but it tries even faster! Plus there are actual OPI nail polishes that match if you want to have an exact matching pedicure. I only get Shellac/OPI Gel as a manicure, because my hands are more exposed than my toes. :smile: Although it's $20 more added onto the manicure, it's worth it rather than having my nails chip after 2-3 days using regular nail polish!
I purchased the Shellac UV light when I started cosmo school, and got in to the pro shops. I have now found it was silly to spend $150 for just the name. But before I got duped into purchasing gel colors for $15-17+ each, I put my own theory to the test. I have HUNDREDS of pro polish colors (OPI, Vanique, China Glaze) with an ever growing inventory. I get them at $3-$4.50 per bottle. I use my regular nail polish in between my CND Shellac base coat and top coat. You just need to be sure to cure each coat completely. Even the consistency is not much different between a CND Shellac color and these pro polishes. I have been using them since December, and so have my friends and classmates and it works EXACTLY the same. So it BROADENS your color horizons GREATLY. Especially for those of you who already have a large or decent collection of regular polish. You can't use just any polish though, Some of the mass marketed (drug store) brands will bubble up in the UV light, so be careful. With the 3 brands I mentioned, you are okay. I hope this helps!!! I was sure glad I tried it! I only own 4 Shellac colors, and now, I am going to sell my Brisa CND light and buy a less expensive version that I can fit both hands or feet into to speed up the process, since I only use it personally right now.

I purchased the Shellac UV light when I started cosmo school, and got in to the pro shops. I have now found it was silly to spend $150 for just the name. But before I got duped into purchasing gel colors for $15-17+ each, I put my own theory to the test. I have HUNDREDS of pro polish colors (OPI, Vanique, China Glaze) with an ever growing inventory. I get them at $3-$4.50 per bottle. I use my regular nail polish in between my CND Shellac base coat and top coat. You just need to be sure to cure each coat completely. Even the consistency is not much different between a CND Shellac color and these pro polishes. I have been using them since December, and so have my friends and classmates and it works EXACTLY the same. So it BROADENS your color horizons GREATLY. Especially for those of you who already have a large or decent collection of regular polish. You can't use just any polish though, Some of the mass marketed (drug store) brands will bubble up in the UV light, so be careful. With the 3 brands I mentioned, you are okay. I hope this helps!!! I was sure glad I tried it! I only own 4 Shellac colors, and now, I am going to sell my Brisa CND light and buy a less expensive version that I can fit both hands or feet into to speed up the process, since I only use it personally right now.

Thank you so much for the tip! I just may try this! :smile:

Help! I am so frustrated with gel polish. I am just an amateur who loves nice nails, and is fully capable of learning how to use a new amazing product (from all I have heard about it) like gel polish.

I have tried to apply gel polish about 3-4 times, and every time the tips are chipping (worse than with regular polish) and the finish is dull, tacky still after cleansing with the gelish nail cleanser (states on the back its for cleansing after applying gel polish).

I purchased a 36 watt light, various gel colors from different brands, gelish, supernail Gelous, CND, plus I have the primer from a company called Geleration, and the base and top coat from a company call Lechat-Nobility. All products claim to be gel soak off products.

The products all say a max cure time of 2 minutes (some say much less time), and I even increased the cure time to 3:30 in hopes that the polish will "really" cure this round.

I am following all directions to the T and I just don't get what I am doing wrong.

Do you think these products may not be compatible - the Lechat-Nobility gel topcoat and the Gelish cleanser? I just ordered the gelish topcoat in hopes that it will be a better product and not give me the dull tacky finish like the Lechat-Nobility gel topcoat.

Any words of wisdom?
Thank you!

Help! I am so frustrated with gel polish. I am just an amateur who loves nice nails, and is fully capable of learning how to use a new amazing product (from all I have heard about it) like gel polish.

I have tried to apply gel polish about 3-4 times, and every time the tips are chipping (worse than with regular polish) and the finish is dull, tacky still after cleansing with the gelish nail cleanser (states on the back its for cleansing after applying gel polish).

I purchased a 36 watt light, various gel colors from different brands, gelish, supernail Gelous, CND, plus I have the primer from a company called Geleration, and the base and top coat from a company call Lechat-Nobility. All products claim to be gel soak off products.

The products all say a max cure time of 2 minutes (some say much less time), and I even increased the cure time to 3:30 in hopes that the polish will "really" cure this round.

I am following all directions to the T and I just don't get what I am doing wrong.

Do you think these products may not be compatible - the Lechat-Nobility gel topcoat and the Gelish cleanser? I just ordered the gelish topcoat in hopes that it will be a better product and not give me the dull tacky finish like the Lechat-Nobility gel topcoat.

Any words of wisdom?
Thank you!
Have you read the Soak-off gel info for beginners thread here? It's awesome. : http://forum.purseblog.com/nail-care/soak-off-gel-information-for-beginners-729204.html

I love Shellac (and the other gel polishes), but only when I go to a nail technician who actually knows what he/she is doing! Sadly, I have had some really bad experiences. The last girl that I went to put the polish on so thick that it started to peel up within two days. I was able to literally pull it off every single one of my nails, each in one piece. :mad:

I'm thinking of trying to do it myself, but I am so not talented when it comes to doing my own nails.

I love Shellac (and the other gel polishes), but only when I go to a nail technician who actually knows what he/she is doing! Sadly, I have had some really bad experiences. The last girl that I went to put the polish on so thick that it started to peel up within two days. I was able to literally pull it off every single one of my nails, each in one piece. :mad:

I'm thinking of trying to do it myself, but I am so not talented when it comes to doing my own nails.

It's really not that difficult to do yourself. One of the main things to remember is do thin coats. You can always add another 2 or 3 coats if the color hasn't reached the opacity you want...just keep each coat thin. The nail care forum has tons of helpful info for DIY gel polish application, and I bet you could do it yourself...and probably with better results than you think you'll get.

I have the kit available at CVS or Walmart and I think it takes a bit longer to cure than 1 minute but once it's dry, it lasts me easily 1.5 weeks. I love that kit.

I definitely think it's worth it to get the opi gel nails:smile: I just tried them for the first time yesterday and I totally love it!!!!! After getting it done professionally I am planning to invest in my own kit soon and so many stores are already carrying the gel nail kits but they are a little pricey if you have to buy everything like the led light and the products needed. I saw one kit by quo just the light is $80 then there's another starting kit sold sepetately for $40 or around there. Any tips for what brand to invest in?!? Thanks