Proof that a 50 yr old lady can still be beautiful! Rehab reveal!

I have rehabbed lots of vintage Coach bags but none as old as the Small Shopper and none with the Mexican Striped Cotten lining. I didn't want to give her a bath because I was afraid that the colors would bleed and ruin the bag.

I considered trying to surface clean the bag inside and out, but I didn't really think that would do the job. I looked at her and said "Honey, you are dirty, dusty, smelly, and out-of-shape! You really need the full spa treatment!"

So I decided to trust Bonnie and Coach, together they made high-quality products! I filled the sink with warm water and ivory dish soap, then I closed my eyes and dumped her into the water! I opened one eye to peak, afraid that I would see that the water had turned muddy brown because the colors had all run out of the lining. But she was sitting there quietly enjoying the suds, and she was already beginning to look cleaner and brighter!

Below are photos taken during the rehab, when I realized that the Cashin bag would be fine in the bath, I tossed in a Michaels Kors wallet that I had picked up for $10 to clean that up too. I also washed the Saks Fifth Avenue tag. I am going to leave it inside the pocket because it is an important part of the bag's history.

She was a very simple rehab; I just gave her a bath, stuffed her with towels to reshape during the drying process, conditioned the leather, and shined up the hardware. It was really easy!

So that is the whole saga of finding and rehabbing my first (and so far only) Bonnie Cashin Coach bag! Doesn't she look good for an "Old Bag at the age of 50?!"

Attachments

• CashinCoachSSrehab001.jpg
    CashinCoachSSrehab001.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 871
  • CashinCoachSSrehab002.jpg
    CashinCoachSSrehab002.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 858
  • CashinCoachSSrehab003.jpg
    CashinCoachSSrehab003.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 856
  • CashinCoachSSrehab004.jpg
    CashinCoachSSrehab004.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 860
  • CashinCoachSSrehab006.jpg
    CashinCoachSSrehab006.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 863
Last edited:
oh wow-you washed a lined bag! Good to know-I have looked at a few bags on eBay that were lined and wondered. I imagine that it would NOT be a good idea to do with a darker bag that might bleed onto the lining, but good to know the lining didn't bleed onto your light colored bag!

oh wow-you washed a lined bag! Good to know-I have looked at a few bags on eBay that were lined and wondered. I imagine that it would NOT be a good idea to do with a darker bag that might bleed onto the lining, but good to know the lining didn't bleed onto your light colored bag!

Thanks! But I have never tried washing a newer legacy bag with satin striped lining, this is the cotton lining that was used in the early coach bags. I don't know how other striped lining (or legacy leather!) would react to a dunking!

such a special find and a great story!!! I can't imagine all the parties this little bag went to in the sixties, seventies and so on!! Thats just so special!! If only the bag could talk I wonder what it would say??

OOOH my goodness.... what an HG! She's GORGEOUS and SO perfectly Mad Men! Ohhh I'm extremely jealous. I LOVE a vintage find like that one. And the vintage legacy lining! Be still my beating heart! :love:

I'm glad a true Coach connoisseur like you ended up with this bag, Katev. You're a curator of Coach, and I think that's very cool.

You have such a talent for preserving Coach's history. I think they should give you a special tour of their vault!

Congrats On another fabulous rehab.I justt love this little bag--and all your other rescued bags too.