Scarves How do you store your scarves?

I dry clean my scarves. But I did get a recommendation about which cleaner to go to from my SA. I wouldn't trust myself to dunk the scarves in a bowl of suds myself.

There's just something about the orange boxes themselves that is so iconic that I can't bear to part with them. So I'm afraid I have a pile of boxes each with their original scarf in. Access is a nightmare but it does feel like a rediscovery every time I open a box to find a scarf I haven't worn in a while.

I have put about 10 hangers in the back of my closet and I hang all my scarves there. That way I can see them all and then figure out which on I want to wear

Attachments

• IMG_3063.jpg
    IMG_3063.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 130
ok another scarf question (since i voewed i would not start another scarf thread): i accidentally ripped one of the stiches out of the care tag on one of my scarves. i cannot sew to save my life. would you leave it or bring it to someone to fix? does it matter? i'm not planning to resell but if i ever do i know it needs to be the same color and i'm not sure what to do.

and a huge thank you to dq! that is an awesome idea for the scarves. i'm going to buy those envelopes now!

I label the outside of my boxes with the name of the scarf. I must caution folks that silk does not like to be exposed to the air for long period of time. Amongst many of my ventures (WAHM mom, H collector, pomeranian wrangler), I own a bridal salon, the silk dresses after being exposed to the air begin to yellow quickly from pollutants in the air. Thats why it's alway best to store silk with acid free tissue paper in a dark area.

Hermes used to make a wooden scarf cube ( don't know if they still do) where the scarves hung on dowel and you would open the cube from the top and pick the scarf that way. I think they were rather expensive though (around $2000 five years ago).

As far as cleaning, I only spot clean my scarves at the cleaners. I never have them press it. If my scarves are beyon wrinkly, I fold them along their creases, put them in between two towels, and iron them myself. That way I restore the original folds and keep the hems plum at the same time.

I use a shallow drawer (or two), the way they store the scarves in the stores. I fold the square over (loosely) one more time so that it's a rectangle and place them in the drawer with some overlap, but still visible enough to identify and pick out. The drawer is properly lined, of course.

^^^ me too.

I store two to a box, I number the boxes with sticky numbers and store the boxes alphabetically by title. I have a picture index (different from my spreadsheet) that shows the number on the box, a thumbnail of the scarf, and the name of the scarf. So on the first page it looks like this:

1) (thumbnail) title
1) (thumbnail) title
2) (thumbnail) title
2) (thumbnail) title

etc. etc.

So I can look up by title or color.

They're stacked in a 4 shelf bookshelf, 3 stacks of 12 to each shelf. I store twills together in stacks, PM mousselines together, GM mousses together, PM cashes, GM cashes, and pochettes.

It works until I buy a bunch, then I have to hand write them on the back of the index and stack the new ones in a "new pile" til I feel like reordering the stacks.