Should I sell?

honeybunch

O.G.
Jan 22, 2007
Hi ladies, I've had my black Giant City with rose gold hardware for just under a year now but I think I've fallen out of love. Initially I was umming and ahhing for ages over silver and rose gold hardware (gold was not an option as not in stock) and when I finally decided on the rose gold, I was really happy with my decision. However, I was really upset to find that the bag faded to a greenish colour in areas after only a few months which made me love the bag less. Also, the rose gold hardware, although beautiful can sometimes appear very dull and does not stand out very much, unless light is hitting it at certain angles. I feel that the subtlety of the hardware made the fading issues more noticeable. I took it back to Selfridges to show them the bag but they couldn't see what the problem was. In the dimmer winter light, it's not noticeable but in bright light and strong daylight, I feel that you can notice the greenish tinge more. Also, I don't think my feelings have been helped by the fact that I've been taking my bag to work every day. I look after it very well and it doesn't look worn yet, but it feels less special. If I got a new one I would save it for weekends and use my Bayswater for work.

Anyway, greening issues aside, I'm wondering whether to sell my Giant City with rose gold hardware and buy the same bag with silver or gold hardware - or will I regret giving up the rose gold? But, I prefer the way the hardware stands out more with gold and silver hardware. Also, does anyone have comparison pics of the silver and gold hardwares?

Just to make matters more difficult, an SA was gushing over my bag and told me not to sell as the rose gold is more rare and unique, whereas she said everyone seems to have gold or silver.

I'd really appreciate your comments and thoughts, and would also love to hear from any ladies who are having similar feelings about the rose gold hardware.

I think you should keep your city or maybe replace it with a new Black RGGH City or GGH City. I actually used to have an 10 F/W Anthra RGGH City, loved it at the beginning but after taking it out with me a couple of times, I also felt the hardware was too dull. Fast forward to 2011 I sold my Anthra RGGH City and was content with my decision but I was soon regretting it because I knew I wouldn't be able to find the same combo again once its gone so I bought a new 11 S/S Anthra RGGH City and also a 11 F/W Black RGGH Day. One thing I noticed new about my 11 S/S Anthra RGGH City and 11 F/W Black RGGH Day was that the hardware was not as dull as the 10 Anthra RGGH City I sold. It was much brighter and more pop and I liked how it subtly contrasted with the dark color.

If I were you I think you should take your Black RGGH City to the store and compare it with the 2011 F/W RGGHs, there is subtle difference in the hardware. But on the other hand a Black GGH City will always be classic, I love mine to bits as well, but I feel that RGGH goes with anything compared to GGH since GGH can be a bit blingy at times. hehe

Here are some comparison photos of my 10 F/W Seigle RGGH Day and my 11 F/W Papyrus RGGH Day. You can see that the hardware on papyrus has a touch more rose in it.

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help, I love both RGGH and GGH!

^Thanks for your thoughts, ladies, and for the comparison pics, 2shai_. I can certainly the see the difference. Unfortunately I can't compare bags instore because the department stores don't have the giant hardware in rose gold, or any giant hardware on a black bag for that matter.

I think you should keep your city or maybe replace it with a new Black RGGH City or GGH City. I actually used to have an 10 F/W Anthra RGGH City, loved it at the beginning but after taking it out with me a couple of times, I also felt the hardware was too dull. Fast forward to 2011 I sold my Anthra RGGH City and was content with my decision but I was soon regretting it because I knew I wouldn't be able to find the same combo again once its gone so I bought a new 11 S/S Anthra RGGH City and also a 11 F/W Black RGGH Day. One thing I noticed new about my 11 S/S Anthra RGGH City and 11 F/W Black RGGH Day was that the hardware was not as dull as the 10 Anthra RGGH City I sold. It was much brighter and more pop and I liked how it subtly contrasted with the dark color.

If I were you I think you should take your Black RGGH City to the store and compare it with the 2011 F/W RGGHs, there is subtle difference in the hardware. But on the other hand a Black GGH City will always be classic, I love mine to bits as well, but I feel that RGGH goes with anything compared to GGH since GGH can be a bit blingy at times. hehe

Here are some comparison photos of my 10 F/W Seigle RGGH Day and my 11 F/W Papyrus RGGH Day. You can see that the hardware on papyrus has a touch more rose in it.

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help, I love both RGGH and GGH!

WOW that is a pretty big difference in color in the RGGH. Good catch 2shai!

Too bad you can't compare the RGGH IRL, I know how frustrating it can be to have limited access to the items you so badly want. For some reason the fading/green issue seems to be a reoccurring issue with blacks. It's kind of the luck of the draw some bags have no problem and others do. Personally I like SGH or GGH better on darker colors and RGGH on lighter colors I like the contrast of the hardware. It sounds like you kind of fell out of love with your bag I'd say sell it and use the money for a bag that will get used. Whats the point in keeping it if you don't use it or every time you use it you focus on the flaws of the bag and feel bad about it? I like both SGH & GGH I feel like SGH is more casual/edgy and GGH is more dressy.

I actually like the fact that RGGH is not as "stand outish" as the GGH or SGH. But greenish problem would be a problem. There are lots of threads of people rehab Greenish Black bag back to "black." Why don't you check them out before making the final decision.

I actually like the fact that RGGH is not as "stand outish" as the GGH or SGH. But greenish problem would be a problem. There are lots of threads of people rehab Greenish Black bag back to "black." Why don't you check them out before making the final decision.

I had a look at the threads but I'm very reluctant to put anything on the bag, especially if I do end up selling it. I've just been looking at my bag in my bedroom light and it looks really black. It's more when you look at it in strong fluorescent lighting or broad daylight that it looks greenish in places. If I got another, I would be really careful to keep it away from direct sunlight.

WOW that is a pretty big difference in color in the RGGH. Good catch 2shai!

Too bad you can't compare the RGGH IRL, I know how frustrating it can be to have limited access to the items you so badly want. For some reason the fading/green issue seems to be a reoccurring issue with blacks. It's kind of the luck of the draw some bags have no problem and others do. Personally I like SGH or GGH better on darker colors and RGGH on lighter colors I like the contrast of the hardware. It sounds like you kind of fell out of love with your bag I'd say sell it and use the money for a bag that will get used. Whats the point in keeping it if you don't use it or every time you use it you focus on the flaws of the bag and feel bad about it? I like both SGH & GGH I feel like SGH is more casual/edgy and GGH is more dressy.

I'm beginning to think this way - that the rose gold doesn't stand out enough against the black, but against lighter colours it certainly does because it looks darker.

I'm actually wondering whether I should keep my bag but get another black Bal with silver or gold hardware. I'm not sure which style I would go for - maybe the Velo.

I'm beginning to think this way - that the rose gold doesn't stand out enough against the black, but against lighter colours it certainly does because it looks darker.

I'm actually wondering whether I should keep my bag but get another black Bal with silver or gold hardware. I'm not sure which style I would go for - maybe the Velo.

I think you should do just this & the Velo is lovely & would be totally different to your city.....I have the black city with GSHW & love the bag although its not been used much although its 2 years old but it does really stand out with the GSHW or perhaps choose a different colour with GSHW. ;)

ITA with this-the green problem would bug me most (I am a huge fan of RGGH on anything-SGH too but it depends on the bag color). I would contact Barbara at LMB and see if she can help you?

I agree with you! the matte-ness of RGGH is very appealing to me.
Maybe you should consider to re-dye it again :smile:
Good luck!