Questions from a First Time Chanel Buyer

May 15, 2011
I have been saving up for a Chanel bag since I started my first job in June of 2010, when my tax return comes I will FINALLY have enough [figuratively, I have the money physically, haha], BUT I just read that the prices will be going up on February 1st....NOOOO!!!! So I have some (stupid) questions...I've searched on the forum but I haven't been able to find all of my answers so I figured I would just post all the questions in on place. :-s:shame:

1. Did anyone find out what the increase will be on the Medium and Jumbo bags in the US? (I still don't know all the Chanel lingo...)

2. Should I get the Medium or Jumbo Classic Flap? (A0112, A28600 or A58600) I'm thinking Medium is more versatile (and a bit cheaper) so I should go with that. And I want gold hardware and Caviar (unless someone thinks silver is better).

3. What color should I get? I always come back to black, since it's classic, but would it be better to get a different color since this will probably be my only Chanel bag? I have a magazine clipping where Karlie Kloss is holding a GORGEOUS maroon one, but I don't even know if they make that one anymore. I have no idea what the current colors are (Chanel newbie as I said before)

4. Do I need to call the store I'm going to to see if they have the bags in stock? I'll have to drive a while to get there so I don't want to go for nothing.

5. This one is REALLY stupid...do they offer ways to finance buying the purse? I have the money but the limit on my credit card is 3,000...not enough for a Chanel and I would rather not use my debit card of a check (if they even take those) because I want to get bonus points with my card... [I will probably be going to a Saks or Neimans unless I feel like going to a Chanel store in NYC]

6. Another really stupid one...do you pay tax on a Chanel bag/what would the tax be in New York? I looked and I think it will be 4% but I'm not sure... I'll probably go to the Neiman Marcus in White Plains. If I got it here (CT) it would be 6.035%

And actually, now that I think of it...do ANY of the major stores sell Chanel online, I can't seem to find it but some people on here have mentioned buying from NM/Saks online, so I'm confused...I also read that you can put the NM catalog number online and it will allow you to buy Chanel online, the only problem is I don't have a NM catalog so I don't know the codes...

Thanks so much guys! And sorry to be so annoying!

I'm thinking I might go next Saturday before the prices go up even though my tax return hasn't come yet, ha ha...

I have been saving up for a Chanel bag since I started my first job in June of 2010, when my tax return comes I will FINALLY have enough [figuratively, I have the money physically, haha], BUT I just read that the prices will be going up on February 1st....NOOOO!!!! So I have some (stupid) questions...I've searched on the forum but I haven't been able to find all of my answers so I figured I would just post all the questions in on place. :-s:shame:

1. Did anyone find out what the increase will be on the Medium and Jumbo bags in the US? (I still don't know all the Chanel lingo...)

2. Should I get the Medium or Jumbo Classic Flap? (A0112, A28600 or A58600) I'm thinking Medium is more versatile (and a bit cheaper) so I should go with that. And I want gold hardware and Caviar (unless someone thinks silver is better).

3. What color should I get? I always come back to black, since it's classic, but would it be better to get a different color since this will probably be my only Chanel bag? I have a magazine clipping where Karlie Kloss is holding a GORGEOUS maroon one, but I don't even know if they make that one anymore. I have no idea what the current colors are (Chanel newbie as I said before)

4. Do I need to call the store I'm going to to see if they have the bags in stock? I'll have to drive a while to get there so I don't want to go for nothing.

5. This one is REALLY stupid...do they offer ways to finance buying the purse? I have the money but the limit on my credit card is 3,000...not enough for a Chanel and I would rather not use my debit card of a check (if they even take those) because I want to get bonus points with my card... [I will probably be going to a Saks or Neimans unless I feel like going to a Chanel store in NYC]

6. Another really stupid one...do you pay tax on a Chanel bag/what would the tax be in New York? I looked and I think it will be 4% but I'm not sure... I'll probably go to the Neiman Marcus in White Plains. If I got it here (CT) it would be 6.035%

And actually, now that I think of it...do ANY of the major stores sell Chanel online, I can't seem to find it but some people on here have mentioned buying from NM/Saks online, so I'm confused...I also read that you can put the NM catalog number online and it will allow you to buy Chanel online, the only problem is I don't have a NM catalog so I don't know the codes...

Thanks so much guys! And sorry to be so annoying!

I'm thinking I might go next Saturday before the prices go up even though my tax return hasn't come yet, ha ha...

1. Did anyone find out what the increase will be on the Medium and Jumbo bags in the US? (I still don't know all the Chanel lingo...) -----------I think it's $4300 for the medium and $4700 for the jumbos

2. Should I get the Medium or Jumbo Classic Flap? (A0112, A28600 or A58600) I'm thinking Medium is more versatile (and a bit cheaper) so I should go with that. And I want gold hardware and Caviar (unless someone thinks silver is better).-------Jumbo is more veristile because it is bigger. I use the medium for dinner, not so much day. I use jumbos day or night but they are less "dressy", so wouldn't carry to an evening affair.

3. What color should I get? I always come back to black, since it's classic, but would it be better to get a different color since this will probably be my only Chanel bag? I have a magazine clipping where Karlie Kloss is holding a GORGEOUS maroon one, but I don't even know if they make that one anymore. I have no idea what the current colors are (Chanel newbie as I said before)------------Black is always a good start.

4. Do I need to call the store I'm going to to see if they have the bags in stock? I'll have to drive a while to get there so I don't want to go for nothing.-------That is always best, as they are often out of stock.

5. This one is REALLY stupid...do they offer ways to finance buying the purse? I have the money but the limit on my credit card is 3,000...not enough for a Chanel and I would rather not use my debit card of a check (if they even take those) because I want to get bonus points with my card... [I will probably be going to a Saks or Neimans unless I feel like going to a Chanel store in NYC]--------------Only if you open up a store card at Bloomies, or Nords, etc.

6. Another really stupid one...do you pay tax on a Chanel bag/what would the tax be in New York? I looked and I think it will be 4% but I'm not sure... I'll probably go to the Neiman Marcus in White Plains. If I got it here (CT) it would be 6.035%------NYC tax is 9%.

No one sells Chanel online. You would need to call the store.

GOOD LUCK and congrats!!

Since you saw a Maroon colour you liked, my vote will be for the 12C dark red caviar jumbo with SHW.

I would go jumbo as it holds more, so you can get more use out of it eg an everyday bag. Caviar is less delicate than lambskin and more maintenance free.

If you know what you are looking for, you can call the boutiques or any of the stores you listed previously and place phone orders. Best to check with the store if they have what you want to save yourself a wasted journey, but really, no visit to Chanel can ever be wasted as everything in store is gorgeous.

The only chanel online, to my knowledge, is from eBay or resellers.

Good luck!

I can answer question number 5 because I tried it in the store. I dun think question 5 is stupid.

When I first bought my Chanel jumbo, it was 4300 plus tax. I have 3k credit line as well and my card have 1% cash back.
I paid her 3k cash and charge others on the card. :]
Is not embarrassing and everything went through.

Maybe I ask my SA if she can charge me with two cards on my next visit (24th)

I know that the price increase in Canada has been confirmed for January 27th - not sure if it's the same in the US? I would get black jumbo black caviar w/ ghw, and yes - call around because these are especially difficult to find right now. Many people are snapping up pieces due to the imminent price increase. Good luck!

Thanks for all your advice everyone!

I guess the size will all depend on when I see them in person then...I think a medium may be okay for me but I'll find out. :smile: I'll probably go with black unless I see an AMAZING color (the Red bag shosho811 mentioned looked a little to red red for me in the photos but I know photos can be misleading hehe)

I'm going to the city for an event tomorrow (the Karl Lagerfeld for net-a-porter launch) and may stop in a Chanel store and see if I get lucky...but I doubt it, worth a try though! I'll of course let you all know how it goes!

It was a bust in NYC, but I just bought one today from Madison Avenue Couture!

A black, medium flap with gold hardware circa 2001-2003 :biggrin: It is lambskin though so I need to be extra careful with it...
Here it is: http://www.madisonavenuecouture.com...sic-2-55-Double-Flap-GHW-p/cc-092211-11-3.htm

I was going to get a jumbo or XL for $3100 or $3300 but I already have bigger purses so the medium was a good size for me. I am SO excited!

Did I make a good choice!? Or a bad one.......I'm a little nervous about not buying directly from Chanel but they have a good reputation

It was a bust in NYC, but I just bought one today from Madison Avenue Couture!

A black, medium flap with gold hardware circa 2001-2003 :biggrin: It is lambskin though so I need to be extra careful with it...
Here it is: http://www.madisonavenuecouture.com...sic-2-55-Double-Flap-GHW-p/cc-092211-11-3.htm

I was going to get a jumbo or XL for $3100 or $3300 but I already have bigger purses so the medium was a good size for me. I am SO excited!

Did I make a good choice!? Or a bad one.......I'm a little nervous about not buying directly from Chanel but they have a good reputation

Did you go over to the "Authenticate this.." thread? I'm not familiar with them so I can't tell you about their reputation. Maybe some others on the forum have purchased from them.

I didn't because I wanted to buy it fast because that site sells them out fast...maybe I'll do it now just to double check. (probably would've been better to do it first but I'm at work and was in a hurry/didn't want my boss to see)

But they do sales with Rue La La and other places and I've heard a lot of other people use them too.

SA told me that Jumbo was going to increase $600 (from $4300 to 4900).

You might want to call the store beforehand so you can at least ask if they have the colors and sizes you want.

It was very good. I bought one and then they called me that day and said that they had actually sold the one I bought but offered me the same bag but a newer year at no extra cost so I actually saved a couple hundred dollars.

I got it authenticated here first, but it was perfect so I'm sure you'll have no problem.