First Celine reveal! Excited but also a bit disappointed..

lovebeibei

May 3, 2008
Hi ladies!

I was sooo excited today after finding my first Celine mini luggage at the now "old" price of 2000, two days after the price has increased at most stores:smile: So, first things first hahah, introducing my new black mini=)

26c61318.jpg

and a couple of modeling pics..please excuse my sweatpants and messy room haha

32939e9.jpg

6055f6c.jpg

Aside from the excitement though....I've heard great things on this forum about the quality of Celine bags, but after taking the Mini home, I can't help but admit I'm a bit disappointed about certain details of the bag. My concerns are..

1. The glazing on the edges of don't look/feel like quality to me. I think Celine can do must better. You can't really tell on the black mini, but today there was a lune mini I looked at too, and the glazing had clearly overflown onto the leather (albeit slightly) on many parts.
2. The leather itself. I've heard that Celine is known for its nice leather, but the leather on the mini also doesn't feel like quality to me.. I realize that it must be decent leather, but for some reason, to the touch, it also feels very PVC-like to me, even though I'm very aware that it is not. Perhaps it's just the new drummed leather??
3. The faux suede/micro suede/cloth lining. Enough said.
4. The last one has nothing to do with quality. I know I was able to get the mini for 2k, but the ridiculous price increases have been putting me off a bit too. 20% increase after they've just had one in Nov?? Celine must think it's Chanel or Hermes.

I apologize in advance for being so debbie downer. I think it's just that I was so excited about this bag at the beginning that's making me so picky about it too. I know a lot of this might be just personally preference. I do like love the bag for its appearance, but I feel like I can't look too closely.

So, ladies, I would love to hear all of your opinions - to keep or not to keep?

if you're not too happy with it you should definitely return it. no point trying to fall in love with it and settling for it just because it is pegged to the old price! make yourself truly happy.

2. The leather itself. I've heard that Celine is known for its nice leather, but the leather on the mini also doesn't feel like quality to me.. I realize that it must be decent leather, but for some reason, to the touch, it also feels very PVC-like to me, even though I'm very aware that it is not. Perhaps it's just the new drummed leather??

OMG i thought the same thing! I LOVED Celine for the quality. like the box bag and the cabas. you can SEE from a distance how well the bags are made and how amazing the leather is. then i finally came across the phantom and the luggage at a local store and i was sooooo disappointed that i scratched them off my wishlist for good.

Def return it if it doesn't make your heart sing. What's the point of spending any money on things that you feel like you have to settle for? That's just my two cents. :flowers:

It's too bad, though! The old quality -- it was just evident, no need to promote it. But now, people are having to convince themselves that the quality is "good enough" through a lot of discussions and chats. A sure sign that it just isn't!

I've made the mistake of keeping bags that deep down I don't really love because they were hard to find, got them at a good price, etc. I wish now that I hadn't kept them and instead had more $ to spend on other bags (because you'll fall in love with something else soon enough). If you can, forget for a second about the Celine hype (and it's been well-deserved up until now; I do love my Luggages), and imagine you stumbled on it in a store and had no idea who the designer was, etc. Would you still pay $2K for it? If yes, do keep it, but if not, move on and hold out for your next true love.

forget for a second about the Celine hype (and it's been well-deserved up until now; I do love my Luggages), and imagine you stumbled on it in a store and had no idea who the designer was, etc. Would you still pay $2K for it? If yes, do keep it, but if not, move on and hold out for your next true love.
:woohoo::woohoo:agree with you

I feel that the lining in the new grained leather was done purposely. I'm not familiar with what material was in the grained/drummed leather in the past... but the past bags slouch real bad IMO. The changed lining could be to help avoid the bad slouch (less heavy so slouch won't happen). :shrugs: Time will only tell. I love my new mini even with the flaws. :sunnies :wlae:

The lining in the pebbled leather bags has always been PL, however the original price of the pebbled bags was $150 less than the smooth bags with leather lining. IMO, the price reflected the materials. I was very disappointed when Celine chose to equalize the price of mini luggage bags regardless of the materials used.

The drummed leather may help prevent slouching, but I agree with you that is doesn't feel high quality. To me, saying that stiff more heavily treated plasticky leather is used to prevent slouching is a little like selling me an unlined blazer and telling me the lack of lining is a design feature. Clearly costs are being cut, and then the company or SA's try to spin it to make it seem more desirable.

I agree with other posters that if you have to talk yourself into it, or are keeping it because it was a good price/hard to find, it's probably best to return it. If you love Celine, there are still other Celine styles that have higher quality leather and construction.

It's too bad, though! The old quality -- it was just evident, no need to promote it. But now, people are having to convince themselves that the quality is "good enough" through a lot of discussions and chats. A sure sign that it just isn't!

:tup:

Very well said. There should be no need to convince oneself that something is money well spent. It either is, or it isn't.

Hi everyone!!

I want to thank you all for your great advice! I haven't had much time to come on tPF these past couple of weeks - apologies for the delay, but I have been reading everything on my phone:biggrin: And I have an update!

I decided that you all are absolutely right! There is no point in trying to convince myself that something is good enough; I should be 100% happy with my bag. So..I ended up returning the black drummed mini...........
but............

TADA!!
ec614094.jpg

ended up with this......haha

4fb945cd.jpg

I am more happy with mini #2 because some of the issues I talked about in the first post isn't on this bag.. 1) the smooth leather does feel very nice so no more PVC, 2) this bag has leather lining inside, 3) was able to get the pre-increase price about a week ago, the day before BG's increase. the only thing that is still the same is the glazing..but at least the glazing is black on this bag as opposed to brown which looked funky on the black drummed mini.

Thank you all again for all of your advice!!