Balenciaga City Classic vs. ?

CaliInTim

Jan 4, 2011
Hi ladies! Okay, so I have finally decided to take the plunge and treat myself to my first designer bag! I am usually a shoe obsessive, and own lots of Balenciaga Flats, and some Louboutins too. But, I decided it is FINALLY time to treat my upper body to some designer goods as well.
I am trying to decided between a Balenciaga Classic City (in either black or Prailine). But I saw a Celine bag that caught my eye. I attached a photograph. If anyone knows the name of the exact bag in the photo, please let me know as I am not very familiar with Celine. Oh, and also, how much that particular bag will cost?
What do you think is the better choice?
Thanks in advance :smile:

Attachments

• Celine Bag.jpg
    Celine Bag.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,517
I love both brands but both are very different. Celine prices have recently increased so if you want that particular Celine Luggage with the python skin it would probably cost $3000+ but if you want it in the regular leather its around $2000+. Balenciagas are cheaper and a Balenciaga Classic city with regular hardware is around $1545 and with giant hardware is $1895. If want to go for a more structured look, then Celine is the way to go. If you want to go slouchy then Bal it is. I just realized after owning a few Celines that I love slouchy bags so I sold my Celine to get more Bals. Hope this helps!

I love both brands but both are very different. Celine prices have recently increased so if you want that particular Celine Luggage with the python skin it would probably cost $3000+ but if you want it in the regular leather its around $2000+. Balenciagas are cheaper and a Balenciaga Classic city with regular hardware is around $1545 and with giant hardware is $1895. If want to go for a more structured look, then Celine is the way to go. If you want to go slouchy then Bal it is. I just realized after owning a few Celines that I love slouchy bags so I sold my Celine to get more Bals. Hope this helps!

Very helpful! Thanks for the info. I like the Bal with regular hardware, personally, so it looks like that would be much less of an investment than a Celine.

hard to compare these two bags since they are both so different. If you like slouchy, light weight and a bit edgy, go with the bal. Celine, is the opposite IMO.

The Celine is gorgeous!!! I'm making my first Bal purchase in a little over a month (birthday treat :biggrin:) and I think it'll wear well over the years. See if people who own structured Celine bags like the one you've shown us are happy with the way the bag looks after years of wear.

You'll wear the bag you buy, so might as well make sure it will keep up well and will maintain the elegant structure. Bal bags get slouchier and more beautiful with time.

The Celine is gorgeous!!! I'm making my first Bal purchase in a little over a month (birthday treat :biggrin:) and I think it'll wear well over the years. See if people who own structured Celine bags like the one you've shown us are happy with the way the bag looks after years of wear.

You'll wear the bag you buy, so might as well make sure it will keep up well and will maintain the elegant structure. Bal bags get slouchier and more beautiful with time.

That is true. I am leaning toward the Bal bag. I think as you and the ladies above mentioned, the Celine bag is very structured, and I don't know if that will be as fun of a look. I want the bal bag in prailine! What color are you getting? :smile:

If you like the look of celine, but prefer a more slouchy look you should consider Celine phantom instead of mini luggage as shown in the pic. I have one and wear it all the time with jeans and flats.

-2.jpg

with the wings open
-1.jpg

with the wings closed
The picture belongs to macristina29

I'm leaning towards the Celine. Looks very modern and classy, and can be dressed up or down depending on the color. But it's true that because of its structured boxiness, prob be difficult to carry on a regular basis all the time!

I'd go for the Celine. The design is a classic in the making, and it keeps selling out at Holt Renfrew in Toronto so it's actually difficult to get.

I love Balenciaga's style, but I own three of their bags and am not impressed with how inconsistent the leather is (all of mine are black, but the leather is softer on one of them not as a result of age, and one of them has really dry leather). They're also really difficult to maintain as I constantly have to baby them so that their corners don't scuff.

I vote for Bal! The Celine is beautiful but difficult to carry for long periods of time. I like to stuff everything into my bag and it gets pretty heavy after awhile so I like to have it on my shoulder for awhile. I like how Bal has both straps so you can switch :smile: