Canada Post. Please advise and help

Kassandra.

O.G.
Sep 10, 2008
Hi Ladies,

I sold a bag to a buyer who is in Canada. I'm in Europe. The bag will be send as a package and it will have a tracking number which will begin with the letters CP. Do you know if those tracking numbers with the initial CP are trackable online in the canada post webpage? I have sent once again to Canada in the past but it was a smaller item, which was sent as registered letter and the tracking number began with the letters RE. This was trackable in the canada post webpage but it never showed that the item was actually delivered. It was the buyer herself who informed me that she had gotten her item. There is no delivery confirmation online for items sent to Canada? If it is so, then there is no Paypal protection too, since Paypal requires delivery confirmation. Is that right? Any word of wisdom is greatly appreciated!

In order to have Paypal's seller protection, yes your item must be fully trackable from start to finish, including signature confirmation.

Any mail item that enters CP's system should be trackable/viewable on their website. :tup:

Thank you for your reply. I'm a bit worried because I have heard that some types of packages are not trackable in the canada post website. I even did a search here before starting that thread and I found so many tPFers complaining about the canada post system. That's why I want to know if tracking numbers that begin with the letters CP are trackable. I'm starting to get nervous about shipping to Canada because of what I read. It would be a nightmare if the bag is not trackable online because it is a quite expensive item. If anyone can give me more advise regarding the canada post, please help me!

Many international shipments are trackable in the Canadapost system. Whether it is trackable or not depends on the originating service selected. For example Canadapost provides tracking on EMS shipments from overseas. Which service did you use?

The problem is that I'm in Europe, so our post system is different from the US. In my country there are 2 types of post services one for letters and objects not heavier than 2 kg and one for every other object heavier than 2 kg. The bag obviously will weight more than 2 kg so it is considered a package. For those packages we complete a a custom form and we get a tracking number which begins with the initials CP and then follow 13 numbers. I order from the US really often and this is the exact type of tracking number that I also get when US sellers send packages to me using USPS Priority International Mail. But is USPS Priority International trackable in the Canada post website? My post service offers also EMS but it will cost me much more to send the package to Canada than with the plain package service. Do you think that the EMS is worth the extra money? The buyer is also really sensitive about the custom fee. If sent with EMS will she have to pay more for customs than with the regular post? This is so confusing but I do not want to send an expensive bag without online tracking to Canada.

Yes, USPS Priority Mail International is definitely trackable on the Canadapost website. You will often see posts on here saying it is not. What causes confusion is that USPS offers a "small flat rate box" option with PMI which is not trackable. I'm in Canada and receive PMI shipments frequently. I can track them on both the USPS website and the Canadapost website.

Your post office should be able to tell you if the less premium option also offers tracking. The amount of customs your buyer will have to pay will be based on the declared value of the package. The shipping service you choose will not influence the amount of customs owed.

ETA: I just noticed your post that said your post office doesn't have a clue. Some postal employees are pretty clueless. Maybe if you tried a couple of others, you might get an answer.

The problem is that I'm in Europe, so our post system is different from the US. In my country there are 2 types of post services one for letters and objects not heavier than 2 kg and one for every other object heavier than 2 kg. The bag obviously will weight more than 2 kg so it is considered a package. For those packages we complete a a custom form and we get a tracking number which begins with the initials CP and then follow 13 numbers. I order from the US really often and this is the exact type of tracking number that I also get when US sellers send packages to me using USPS Priority International Mail. But is USPS Priority International trackable in the Canada post website? My post service offers also EMS but it will cost me much more to send the package to Canada than with the plain package service. Do you think that the EMS is worth the extra money? The buyer is also really sensitive about the custom fee. If sent with EMS will she have to pay more for customs than with the regular post? This is so confusing but I do not want to send an expensive bag without online tracking to Canada.

I'm almost 100% sure that the only method that will track from start to finish is EMS which I know is way more expensive.
I used to work at a post office here in Canada and I don't think there is any other method that can be tracked. Are you in a country that can mail registered parcels? That is another option and would be cheaper if your country allows it. Registered or EMS are the only international packages that I know of that will allow the post office to track it.

EDIT: customs isn't determined by which method it's shipped. It will go by the value so the method you choose to ship will have no effect on customs. They will look at the customs declaration forms and if it's over the allowed amount they will be charged the sales tax and customs/duties regardless.

I'd really appreciate some insight - I pulled the trigger and went a bit overboard, but I made my first 2 purchases through eBay (Japanese sellers).
Both shipped very efficiently (within 1-2 days of payment), however, one seller used Japan Post (which I can already see on Canada posts' website), the other, on the 8th of June sent through EMS... I can't seem to be able to track or see this one, other than EMS Japan stating (Dispatch from outward office of exchange on 10th of June).
I tried using the same tracking # on Canada Post, but it doesn't recognise it?:huh: Any idea why, or when I should expect items to arrive (to Alberta).
Thanks a bunch! :amuse: