Imperfections on my new celine bag, what to do? :cry:

npt08

Sep 23, 2011
I got this bag last week, but haven't had a chance to wear it because I left out of town right after receiving it. When I returned home earlier today, I noticed that there are some imperfections to the bag. There is a big scratch on the back of the bag, about 3 to 4 inches long. I can live with this since the new smooth leather is easier to get scratched. But there are also scotch tapes attached to both of the handles. When I took them off, they left lighter color marks on the handles. I really really like the bag, but I don't want to pay full price for a bag with marks and scratches. I called the store earlier and they said they don't have the new one in stock. Has this happened to you before? Should I return it and find the same bag somewhere else?

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

what the heck?????? why was there scotch tape on the handles???? dear lord, I would be upset too....the scratch I too could probably live with, but geez on the handles! is this the new mega pricey phantom? man oh man, I would not be ok with that at all

Wow! I could understand the scratch on the back due to this is the stiffer leather like the Box bags. But the handles!? I would return it, and IMO the SA is obligated to find you another one.

what the heck?????? why was there scotch tape on the handles???? dear lord, I would be upset too....the scratch I too could probably live with, but geez on the handles! is this the new mega pricey phantom? man oh man, I would not be ok with that at all

There were scotch tapes on the handles and also at the top of the interior of the bag. I guess they wanted the top of the bag to close as it is on the soft leather, because otherwise it would just look too boxy (I took picture to compare), which makes me think that this was a display bag. And yes, I got it for 2600 :cry:

IMG_0975.jpg

get it exchanged. this is not acceptable! i'd be freaking out if the handles come with that sticky scotch tape residue markings. :sad:

you should not be tolerating this after paying $2600.

get it exchanged. this is not acceptable! i'd be freaking out if the handles come with that sticky scotch tape residue markings. :sad:

you should not be tolerating this after paying $2600.

Dude. you need to EXCHANGE it.

I called and they said they dont have a new one, but my SA wasn't there today so I think I'm gonna talk to him tomorrow and see what he can do. The lady I talked to told me that they could probably discount the bag, but not sure how that would work out until I talk to my SA.

I would return or exchange it. It better be a deep discount if they want you to keep it, because its so noticeable and its not normal wear and tear. So sorry this happened to you.

I called and they said they dont have a new one, but my SA wasn't there today so I think I'm gonna talk to him tomorrow and see what he can do. The lady I talked to told me that they could probably discount the bag, but not sure how that would work out until I talk to my SA.

This really $ucks big time! Who the heck would use scotch tape on a $2600 handbag?! (on any leather handbag, really). Would you mind sharing the store you bought this from? I want to make sure I either avoid them or at least make sure that if i ever do buy from them, that they send me a bag they haven't destroyed with idiotic display methods! I just can't believe that someone who's business it is to sell handbags would do such a thing!

I would demand they find me a new bag - if they don't have one or can't get one from another store (if this is a department store), I'd ask them to special order one from Celine. They've ruined the bag and no ones gong to want it after what they've done to it, so even if you did return it, it's not like they're going to be able to sell it. If they can't get one and you absolutely want this color, I'd request a generous discount - not 10-15% either. More like 20-30% at least. Like I said, if they take this back, I highly doubt they're going to be able to sell it (for full price) in that condition. If its a department store like Nordstroms, a bag like that would either be sent to the Rack and sold at a higher discount (like 40-60%) or it would be refurbished and then sold at an even larger discount, so it's in their best interest to offer you a generous d/c.

I bought a bag from Nordstroms last year that was on sale (first markdown - 40%), and the sealant all along the strap was cracked. It was the only one left in the company, so the manager gave me a refund for the difference between the price I paid and 60%, which is the price he said it would have been marked at The Rack, where the bag really should have been sent.

If you do decide to keep it, that scratch on the back looks like it can be buffed out with some conditioner. Depending how deep it is, it may take a couple of applications, but I think it will blend nicely.

I'm so sorry this happened to you - I know exactly how you feel as it happened to me before and it's really disheartening :hugs:

This really $ucks big time! Who the heck would use scotch tape on a $2600 handbag?! (on any leather handbag, really). Would you mind sharing the store you bought this from? I want to make sure I either avoid them or at least make sure that if i ever do buy from them, that they send me a bag they haven't destroyed with idiotic display methods! I just can't believe that someone who's business it is to sell handbags would do such a thing!

I would demand they find me a new bag - if they don't have one or can't get one from another store (if this is a department store), I'd ask them to special order one from Celine. They've ruined the bag and no ones gong to want it after what they've done to it, so even if you did return it, it's not like they're going to be able to sell it. If they can't get one and you absolutely want this color, I'd request a generous discount - not 10-15% either. More like 20-30% at least. Like I said, if they take this back, I highly doubt they're going to be able to sell it (for full price) in that condition. If its a department store like Nordstroms, a bag like that would either be sent to the Rack and sold at a higher discount (like 40-60%) or it would be refurbished and then sold at an even larger discount, so it's in their best interest to offer you a generous d/c.

I bought a bag from Nordstroms last year that was on sale (first markdown - 40%), and the sealant all along the strap was cracked. It was the only one left in the company, so the manager gave me a refund for the difference between the price I paid and 60%, which is the price he said it would have been marked at The Rack, where the bag really should have been sent.

If you do decide to keep it, that scratch on the bag looks like it can be buffed out with some conditioner. Depending how deep it is, it may take a couple of applications, but I think it will blend nicely.

I'm so sorry this happened to you - I know exactly how you feel as it happened to me before and it's really disheartening :hugs:

What was more disappointing is that I got this bag from Bergdorf! I'm really hoping that they can get me a new bag because I've been wanting a phantom in this color for so long..Thanks for sharing your experience, iluvmybags..

What was more disappointing is that I got this bag from Bergdorf! I'm really hoping that they can get me a new bag because I've been wanting a phantom in this color for so long..Thanks for sharing your experience, iluvmybags..

Wow BG? That is really something. This is the first time I have seen someone using tape on leather just so the bag stays closed. This is really idiotic on someone's part and I hope you get compensated somehow. There is no way I can tolerate with the tape. Seems like it had stayed too long for the glue residue to stick on the leather.

Please keep us updated. I hope you find a brand new one.