Suddenly I am burdened with great discounts and I need advice!

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
This is kind of long but I would appreciate it if some TPFers would hang in until the end and share some good advice! Thanks in advance!

I’ve done some boutique shopping but not a lot - but I usually receive PCEs. My husband is careful to always use my name and our combined credit card when he buys gift cards for me the boutique for Christmas and my birthday, etc.

Over time I have used PCEs at the boutique/online to buy a few bags, some fobs, a set of jewelry, etc. Not many major purchases and I have given away some of my PCEs, too.

I usually try not to pay too much attention to the new releases because I don’t want to fall in love with a very expensive bag. It has been my habit to wait and see if I am smitten with any of the FP deletes that show up at the outlet.

But things have changed over the last several months; I have only been to the outlet a few times because I have been trying to slow down my spending. And I haven’t even been paying much attention to new reveals on TPF for the same reason! So I am not very current about things.

Also, the outlets are no longer selling jewelry and I often used to pick up pieces there when they caught my fancy. And now I’ve been reading that the outlets will NOT be getting FP deletes very often, or offering many coupons, because Coach will be selling discontinued items via online, invitation-only sales. Is that true? If it is true then Coach will really be supporting my efforts to resist spending money on their goods!

Recently several things have happened that make me think I really should head to the boutique (or call JAX) to do some serious shopping! I received a generous $300 gift card from my husband for Christmas, I have a 25% off total purchase PCE, and I have a 40% discount letter (to replace a defective bag) that can be used for one full-price item (but not in combination with any other offer.)

Holy Moly! I’ve got some great stuff burning holes in my Kristin wallet and I feel like shopping! :happydance:

I’ve been studying the current bags on Coach.com and so far the Chelsea Katarina bags are the most appealing to me – but that might change when I see the current floorset IRL. But I am not an experienced boutique shopper and I don’t want to waste these opportunities, or make a poor purchase just because right now I feel like shopping! Since I have slowed down my spending I need to make a careful decision because I probably won't be making another major purchase for awhile.

I’d like some TPF advice on how to use (or not use) my gift card, PCE, and 40% letter, what would you do in this situation?

If I see a great bag at the boutique should I buy it now or wait to see if it shows up at the outlet or coach online sales? If I even get invited, I recently registered for the online sales.

Should I wait to see if a new boutique floor set comes out before the end of PCE?

Should I study the spring release 2012 thread and try to order a new bag from JAX or at the boutique? Will they let me use the 40% off letter to pre-order?

Should I use the 40% off letter or PCE on jewelry rather than a bag? I would like a Coach watch but I’m not sure I will love the big, heavy boyfriend watches that are the current style.

Should I resist temptation, pass on my current PCE, and wait until I find something I really love and then use my 40% off letter and gift card to buy it?

Help! If you had all these opportunities to indulge yourself, what would you do?! :confused1:

I would go to the boutique next Friday. If you find something you like, use the 40% off and gift card. If you find a couple things that you like you could use the 25% on the second item. :biggrin: I don't have a good outlet near me, and it sounds like the items are only 30% off there. To me, 25% off a brand spanking new bag is better than 30% off a bag that has been handled a lot.

I would go to the boutique next Friday. If you find something you like, use the 40% off and gift card. If you find a couple things that you like you could use the 25% on the second item. :biggrin: I don't have a good outlet near me, and it sounds like the items are only 30% off there. To me, 25% off a brand spanking new bag is better than 30% off a bag that has been handled a lot.

Thanks, but why should I wait until next Friday, are they expecting a new floor set?

The boutique experience on a new bag is very nice but actually the outlet discounts are more like 50% or 60%. There is usually an initial discount of 30 or 40% and then a second discount for the coupon. In the past the outlets have made it really easy to impulse buy - but it sounds like that may be changing.

Yes, the new floor set is out Friday, maybe earlier in some boutiques.
50-60% sounds really good. I'm not very patient, and the outlets here aren't very good.

#1. Katrina is appealing to me as well, however, I don't hear that you drop dead love it. Plus I think Katrina came out as an "In between" bag that will go to outlet. Even if coach is doing the online sales some do make it to the outlet. I read alot of your prior posts and you seem keen on hunting down what it is you want.

2. If I was lucky enough to have a 40% off at a full price store, I would wait for a expensive or limited bag that I love. I would not waste it on jewerly that would show up again on the online sale or outlet or ebay. I state "waste" in the sense that the jewerly isn't a big ticket item and can be purchased easier that shelling out $500 - $1200. + for a handbag.

3. I would carefully read over the spring 2011 thread and see if anything tickles you! Then on friday I would go to the boutique and see if it came in in this floorset.

4. If you order something site unseen with your 40% off and don't like it, would you loose the opportunity to use the 40% off on a future purchase?

5. Good Luck deciding I hope some of this helps, and [I'm excited for you, although your decision seems daunting right now, it's a wounderful position to be in. :yahoo:

#1. Katrina is appealing to me as well, however, I don't hear that you drop dead love it. Plus I think Katrina came out as an "In between" bag that will go to outlet. Even if coach is doing the online sales some do make it to the outlet. I read alot of your prior posts and you seem keen on hunting down what it is you want.

2. If I was lucky enough to have a 40% off at a full price store, I would wait for a expensive or limited bag that I love. I would not waste it on jewerly that would show up again on the online sale or outlet or ebay. I state "waste" in the sense that the jewerly isn't a big ticket item and can be purchased easier that shelling out $500 - $1200. + for a handbag.

3. I would carefully read over the spring 2011 thread and see if anything tickles you! Then on friday I would go to the boutique and see if it came in in this floorset.

4. If you order something site unseen with your 40% off and don't like it, would you loose the opportunity to use the 40% off on a future purchase?

5. Good Luck deciding I hope some of this helps, and [I'm excited for you, although your decision seems daunting right now, it's a wounderful position to be in. :yahoo:

You are right, I do like to hunt for great bargains! I think that is a big part of the fun of getting a great new bag! Lately I have been devoting my energies to finding nice vintage bag for rehabbing and trying to avoid buying new bags on impulse.

I don't know whether I will lose the 40% discount if I buy something and change my mind, that's something I am worried about. I am also concerned because the 40% off letter says that it can only be used for purchases from Coach.com (on-line, by phone, or mail) and it doesn't mention the boutique! I guess that is something new also? I've never had a 40% letter before but I know that they used to include the retail store in the purchase options.

I want to see what I am buying IRL before using the letter and I'm hoping that the boutique will honor the letter. If not, then I hope that I will at least be able to see and hold the bag I want at the boutique before I order it from JAX.

It's a good idea to save the 40% off letter until I find something I love that is unlikely to show up in sales.

I was planning to head to the boutique this week but I am glad to hear that new bags are expected on Friday.

Thanks for the good advice.

I agree, coachdon, very good advice!!!

My SA said that the new mini sage round woven satchels are coming out mid-March. Not sure if you're a fan....but they're gorgeous, at any rate....

ALSO, Coach is doing a partnership with Tony Duquette (I believe that's how you spell his name), and his stuff is AWESOME. My SA showed me a bunch of the new Coach evening bags AND jewelry that will come out very soon (a week?) under his name, and it's all TDF. I think waiting is your best option, unless you love something that you see now, and it doesn't sound like you adore one particular bag....? Let us know what happens!!

This is kind of long but I would appreciate it if some TPFers would hang in until the end and share some good advice! Thanks in advance!

I’ve done some boutique shopping but not a lot - but I usually receive PCEs. My husband is careful to always use my name and our combined credit card when he buys gift cards for me the boutique for Christmas and my birthday, etc.

Over time I have used PCEs at the boutique/online to buy a few bags, some fobs, a set of jewelry, etc. Not many major purchases and I have given away some of my PCEs, too.

I usually try not to pay too much attention to the new releases because I don’t want to fall in love with a very expensive bag. It has been my habit to wait and see if I am smitten with any of the FP deletes that show up at the outlet.

But things have changed over the last several months; I have only been to the outlet a few times because I have been trying to slow down my spending. And I haven’t even been paying much attention to new reveals on TPF for the same reason! So I am not very current about things.

Also, the outlets are no longer selling jewelry and I often used to pick up pieces there when they caught my fancy. And now I’ve been reading that the outlets will NOT be getting FP deletes very often, or offering many coupons, because Coach will be selling discontinued items via online, invitation-only sales. Is that true? If it is true then Coach will really be supporting my efforts to resist spending money on their goods!

Recently several things have happened that make me think I really should head to the boutique (or call JAX) to do some serious shopping! I received a generous $300 gift card from my husband for Christmas, I have a 25% off total purchase PCE, and I have a 40% discount letter (to replace a defective bag) that can be used for one full-price item (but not in combination with any other offer.)

Holy Moly! I’ve got some great stuff burning holes in my Kristin wallet and I feel like shopping! :happydance:

I’ve been studying the current bags on Coach.com and so far the Chelsea Katarina bags are the most appealing to me – but that might change when I see the current floorset IRL. But I am not an experienced boutique shopper and I don’t want to waste these opportunities, or make a poor purchase just because right now I feel like shopping! Since I have slowed down my spending I need to make a careful decision because I probably won't be making another major purchase for awhile.

I’d like some TPF advice on how to use (or not use) my gift card, PCE, and 40% letter, what would you do in this situation?

If I see a great bag at the boutique should I buy it now or wait to see if it shows up at the outlet or coach online sales? If I even get invited, I recently registered for the online sales.

Should I wait to see if a new boutique floor set comes out before the end of PCE?

Should I study the spring release 2012 thread and try to order a new bag from JAX or at the boutique? Will they let me use the 40% off letter to pre-order?

Should I use the 40% off letter or PCE on jewelry rather than a bag? I would like a Coach watch but I’m not sure I will love the big, heavy boyfriend watches that are the current style.

Should I resist temptation, pass on my current PCE, and wait until I find something I really love and then use my 40% off letter and gift card to buy it?

Help! If you had all these opportunities to indulge yourself, what would you do?! :confused1:

I don't have time to respond more in depth right now - but my immediate thought is to spend your 40% discount on an expensive bag (ie, I rarely buy an $800-$1000 bag unless I have PCE) - and, if there is one you LOVE - possibly one of the Anniversary bags. I know you're a collector of vintage and classic styles - so an Anniversary style would be a nice addition to your collection. Possibly the Pinnacle line (I think they have the Anniversary tag???). Look through the Spring 2012 thread too - lots of great bags coming out! If you have a regular boutique you shop in, I would think they would honor the 40% letter. I also had a letter several months ago, and my boutique just called JAX to confirm.

I think the advice so far is right on. I would hold that 40% for a big dollar item that really made me weak in the knees! Waiting till friday is a good plan too, unless you see something now that you love.

Use the PCE for an item you think might not hit the outlet- some of the LE bags for example....if they catch your fancy! I gave away my snail mail coupon, but oddly the email one came a few days later and had a DIFFERENT code. I wasn't planning on buying anything, but I think I will get a bag I've been wanting that I don't think will hit the outlet. Even if it does, I never look back after buying FP or with the PCE. If they take away FP deletes at the outlets I will surely use PCE more often or definitely on more expensive items that in the past I've tried to find at the outlet.

Anyway, if you get anything post pics and have fun mulling it all over and shopping!:biggrin:

I think you should use your current PCE if there's a less-expensive style in a specific color you LOVE and can't imagine going without. A lot of my favorite bags have NEVER shown up at outlet, which was why I began using PCE (once bought exclusively outlet for FP deletes-- that used to be realistic. If you saw a bag, you KNEW it would end up at your outlet, if you were persistent enough. NO MORE at my outlets, but mine aren't flagship stores, either). If it's not something you're really wild about, I'd not use PCE and just wait to see if the bag shows up at outlet.

As for the 40% discount, I would hold on to that until the very-expensive bag of your dreams comes out. THEN, no matter how expensive it is, you have a very good discount to use to get the darn thing. It should be the kind of bag that you can't get out of your mind over a 2 week period... this is my usual criterion. A LOT of times I'll just forget about a bag after about day 3/4... but if I'm still obsessed after a solid 7 day stretch, I figure that's the sign of a must-have.

If no bags are calling out to you right now at all, I would say wait to use both! Especially if you often get PCE anyway, whether you buy or no. Storage space is precious (as is one's budget). The more you save, the more you'll have to spend on your next obsession. That's my advice, anyway... :graucho:

I agree with coachdon about using your 40% off on an expensive or limited edition bag, if you can find one that you love. The main thing is to wait until you see a bag that you really love, rather than getting something that you are not completely sold on just because you have a pce or gift card. I've made that mistake in the past and always regretted it.

With regard to the watch, I bought a gold Coach boyfriend watch in October. I was a bit worried that it would be too big but I love it. I wear it now almost every day and my other watches don't get used. Coach watches are made by Movado and the quality is excellent. I'm not careful with it but it has no marks on it and it looks brand new. I recommend Coach watches wholeheartedly if you can find a style that you like.

This is all great advice and I think that holding on to the 40% letter until I see a fantastic (and possibly limited) bag that I wouldn't buy otherwise is a great idea.

I will start looking around, checking out the coach website and the spring bags and also visit the boutique after next Friday. Whether or not I use the PCE and giftcard depends on what I find!

Anyway, that's my resolution, let's hope I can keep it - and all my other resolutions, too!

Thank you all for helping me to resist temptation. I have really been itching to run to the boutique and buy something!

But it sure is nice to have so many options! :graucho:

...With regard to the watch, I bought a gold Coach boyfriend watch in October. I was a bit worried that it would be too big but I love it. I wear it now almost every day and my other watches don't get used. Coach watches are made by Movado and the quality is excellent. I'm not careful with it but it has no marks on it and it looks brand new. I recommend Coach watches wholeheartedly if you can find a style that you like.

That's great to hear, does it interfere with typing? I am on the computer keyboard a lot at work (and at home!)

May I ask which style watch you bought? Thanks!

That's great to hear, does it interfere with typing? I am on the computer keyboard a lot at work (and at home!)

May I ask which style watch you bought? Thanks!
I got the gold boyfriend bracelet watch (w836). I sit at a computer all day at work and it does not bother me when typing. I have it sized though so it is not loose and floppy on my wrist. This watch looks stunning with everything I wear. I originally thought that I would only use it for special occasions, but it has become an everyday watch. The only small issue I should point out is that sometimes it can be a bit hard to read because the face is all gold and there is not much contrast with the white on the arms. This doesn't bother me but I thought I should point it out in case it is important to you.

My mom got the same watch in the rose gold and she loves it. I am thinking about getting the new andee rose gold one with this week's pce because I like how it looks with the white face (nice for spring).

I got the gold boyfriend bracelet watch (w836). I sit at a computer all day at work and it does not bother me when typing. I have it sized though so it is not loose and floppy on my wrist. This watch looks stunning with everything I wear. I originally thought that I would only use it for special occasions, but it has become an everyday watch. The only small issue I should point out is that sometimes it can be a bit hard to read because the face is all gold and there is not much contrast with the white on the arms. This doesn't bother me but I thought I should point it out in case it is important to you.

My mom got the same watch in the rose gold and she loves it. I am thinking about getting the new andee rose gold one with this week's pce because I like how it looks with the white face (nice for spring).

Thanks, I will look at the watches, too!